Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Defense vs Offense in the Draft

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Steelers absolutely need a WR. Watkins is the dream, Lee is the next best fit, Evans and Benjamin are frightening players to me though.

I personally like moncrief in 2, seems like an Alshon Jeffrey/Keenan Allen type player

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    So, you believe the Steelers never consider need? Come on. Of course need plays a role in their board. They have said as much when they rule out players based on position. So, needs do play a role. If they have a WR at a 90, and an ILB or a DB at an 89...i would bet money they roll with the defensive player.
    You didn't read Shawn...I said "1st" about need...They stick to their board. I also said "if a player is there that fits a NEED the pick is easier if the grade is close." So you commented/questioned things I already said.

"If they have a WR at a 90, and an ILB or a DB at an 89...i would bet money they roll with the defensive player." is vague....More info. But if your are saying Sanders leaves, They don't retain Clark, Taylor & Foote are still here...And the DB is a FS....I will pick the FS. If you are telling me the DB is a CB....I would pick the WR & go CB in round 2 or 3 because it will be hard to Leapfrog Taylor, Allen, & Gay year 1.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 02-05-2014 at 03:18 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think that they stick to their board strictly in round one. The thing is, I believe that their board will be slanted towards the D. They will have the OTs, WRs, and maybe a TE who they consider to be "elite, can't miss, ten year pro bowlers" type players, but I don't see them having equal value WRs with their ILBs, DBs, OLBs, and DLs.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Need is given some consideration, but how is WR not a position of need? Sanders has shown that he has zero ability to stretch the field. His catch rate on deep passes was abysmal because he gets no separation when he goes deep. And there is also his inability to make clutch catches. I've said that he is an ok #3 or a low end #2, and I stand by that.

I'd take a big WR early even if Sanders returns. If he doesn't, JPN is right - you need an option better than what they have.

If the Steelers have an OG at 90 and an ILB at an 89, yes, they take the ILB. But WR isn't a position that I would rule out.
    Wr is certainly a need but will the Steelers want to invest a first rounder when they have a franchise WR already? Already paying that position heavy? They certainly take need into consideration especially when its close. Ill tell you though if a stud QB dropped like Manziel, I think the Steeler scrap need and draft another franchise QB. If any stud player drops then its BPA like they did with DeCastro. If it's close they will draft need over a slight difference in talent.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Steelers absolutely need a WR. Watkins is the dream, Lee is the next best fit, Evans and Benjamin are frightening players to me though.

I personally like moncrief in 2, seems like an Alshon Jeffrey/Keenan Allen type player
    I agree, if by some freak of nature event Watkins drops...the Steelers run to the podium to turn in their draft card. But, he is the only stud WR in the top 15 IMO.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    ...and we got something out of JJ last year.. it wasn't instant impact like we wanted but he got a ton of snaps which are needed to get in a groove in a DL defense.

You and I saw different games. I saw lots of trying by Jones but very little doing. We got a tease with LeBeau starting hime but then we reverted back to form with the rookie on the bench. Do you really think that will change this year if we use another #1 on defense.

This defense is in a multi-year rebuild. In the meantime we can add some real significant offensive punch and let the offense carry us until the defense is back...hopefully back in time by LeBeau's 80th birthday.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Jones let them do some cover 6 stuff, which was pretty cool and effective. he was also able to set the edge much better than i expected. I expect a pretty dramatic improvement this year though, its not an easy transition to make even if he had an "advantage" by playing 34 OLB in college. He has a lackluster first step, but that can be improved, doing instead of thinking is always the biggest thing from year one to year 2...saw it with timmons, saw it with decastro

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    You and I saw different games. I saw lots of trying by Jones but very little doing. We got a tease with LeBeau starting hime but then we reverted back to form with the rookie on the bench. Do you really think that will change this year if we use another #1 on defense.

This defense is in a multi-year rebuild. In the meantime we can add some real significant offensive punch and let the offense carry us until the defense is back...hopefully back in time by LeBeau's 80th birthday.
    If we rebuild the "D" through the draft then yea it won't happen over night. This may be the year to bring in a few FA's that can step in and upgrade immediately. Of course that would mean some major shake ups on our end... to free up the CAP room. Going to be a very interesting off season.