Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Defense vs Offense in the Draft

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Steelers philosophy in first has nothing to do with need. It is about their board. Taking a WR in the first says nothing about what they feel is their largest need. If there is a WR rated higher than any defensive player....The pick is easy.

Remember one thing people. Colbert's predraft talk every year he says the same thing. The Steelers like to go into a draft with no NEEDS...Only WANTS. If a player is there that fits a NEED the pick is easier if the grade is close. Look at our draft history. Guys have fell who we didn't think would be there & fit a need...Pick was made. Guys were there that fit a need but the Steelers stayed true to their board & took BPA. If you have been around long enough...You know this is true.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I don't get it either... AB put up crazy numbers with Cotch and a pathetic Sanders (to hear them tell it).

I have no problem drafting a WR in the second but it would be crazy to go WR in the first. It would be bats@#t crazy to go TE in the first as well.

All these complaints about the D and people want to go WR? So we can "outscore" opponents in this fake, pass happy NFL?

Nah.. go D or go home. We can't outscore teams if they are running it down our throats eating up clock.
    Mreally Felt?

After years of everyone complaining about the offense after six games we are now an offensive juggernaut? We saw what we got last using a Round 1 pick on a defensive player---nothing

After the season AB had everyone will be game planning to stop him and what if he gets hurt? The offensd took half a step forward late last season. Now is tbe time to continue the momentum and make a giant leap
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The problem is when Sanders leaves & even if Cotchery is retained....There is no evidence IN GAME that the Steelers have anything behind those 2. Cotchery is a very good #3 vet presence. Cotchery won't be rolling coverage to him as a #2. Wheaton can't be crowned anything. Wheaton should be viewed as a draft choice that already knows the playbook in '14. So...AB, Cotchery, & Wheaton have to be viewed as step back from 2013 until proven otherwise. You can't go into 2014 with the assumption that "proven otherwise" will turn out positive. You have to address. If it turns out positive & you have a draft choice who pans out...There is a leap forward on the offensive side of the ball. That...With an injected defense...Spells playoffs.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Mreally Felt?

After years of everyone complaining about the offense after six games we are now an offensive juggernaut? We saw what we got last using a Round 1 pick on a defensive player---nothing

After the season AB had everyone will be game planning to stop him and what if he gets hurt? The offensd took half a step forward late last season. Now is tbe time to continue the momentum and make a giant leap
    Most of the complaining about the offense was during our 12-4 years and our SB runs....

They wanted high scoring and fantasy stats... we got rings and consistent playoff caliber football with a stout D and average O with a few splash plays.

...and we got something out of JJ last year.. it wasn't instant impact like we wanted but he got a ton of snaps which are needed to get in a groove in a DL defense.

We have Wheaton too.... AB wasn't a monster his first season and rarely dressed due to Sanders.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 02-05-2014 at 01:44 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    The problem is when Sanders leaves & even if Cotchery is retained....There is no evidence IN GAME that the Steelers have anything behind those 2. Cotchery is a very good #3 vet presence. Cotchery won't be rolling coverage to him as a #2. Wheaton can't be crowned anything. Wheaton should be viewed as a draft choice that already knows the playbook in '14. So...AB, Cotchery, & Wheaton have to be viewed as step back from 2013 until proven otherwise. You can't go into 2014 with the assumption that "proven otherwise" will turn out positive. You have to address. If it turns out positive & you have a draft choice who pans out...There is a leap forward on the offensive side of the ball. That...With an injected defense...Spells playoffs.
    This is why you draft WR in the 2nd or 3rd... there is depth in the draft and WR's are pretty easy to find in FA.

Legend

User Info Menu

The Steelers need at least one piece to compliment AB. They need someone to create that advantage when the Steelers go pass with a Single safety high. They didn't have it with Sanders here & they won't have it with Wheaton.

AB was able to take advantage of a CF safety with his YAC but They need someone to make the Safety cheat and create the larger windows. It could be vertical or horizontal because of AB's ability after the catch. So that COULD come in the form of a Bigger WR or a Flex type of TE. Being that Miller & Spaeth are on the roster...My inclination would be they would lean toward WR earlier & try to find the TE later. But that would be me. Haley likes his TEs & they could be used more in the run game. Just would have to see allot of 3 TEs sets to get that Flex guy on the field.

The biggest thing is the larger target in redzone. I'm not just talking jump balls. I talked about catching radius as it relates to trajectory in a shortened field which also relates to between the 20's in underneath routes. They Have Miller but Spaeth isn't much of a receiving threat. I'm a PSU guy so when I say Moye can't be penciled in as anything until he proves it...Don't take offense. Moye's problem is his small hands & he tends to drop in traffic & after contact. He has to show me something before I crown him anything but a PS player. Justin Brown could be that piece but we won't know until he see live bullets. So if you can't see it, hear it, or smell it....It isn't there.
    Great post, JPN. With one more complimentary player on offense, the Steelers will be really tough to stop. I would like to see a big weapon added in the early rounds, and then focus on defense for the rest of the draft.

If the BPA is a big WR, I think that he should and will be the pick. If not in the first, in the second or third.

Outside of a big WR, I'd like to see the Steelers load up on D. They need starting help or depth at almost every position.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I like offense in the first (unless a stud like clowney, mack, barr) falls. But while i want a WR (Lee, Benjamin maybe, Evans maybe) or Ebron in the first, Id like the defense to be upgraded the most in the draft. Taht being said i think Matthews or Robinson is a no brainer if they are there

I wouldnt hate taking a WR/"TE" in the first and addressing CB, NT, DE, OLB, MLB in the next few rounds.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    This is why you draft WR in the 2nd or 3rd... there is depth in the draft and WR's are pretty easy to find in FA.

Actually contrary to that. The Steelers can't go into the season with a "Wheaton" type of contribution out of a rookie & not knowing what Wheaton's 2nd year will be. You just stick to the board. If WR is the BPA at #15...You pick him. Your impact guys are that top of this draft. If they fall in love with one...They will pull the trigger.

"This is why you draft WR in the 2nd or 3rd... there is depth in the draft and WR's are pretty easy to find in FA" Can be typed as "This is why you draft NT/ILB in the 2nd or 3rd... there is depth in the draft and NT/ILB are pretty easy to find in FA" Add in the fact McClendon/Woods & Foote/Williams have shown on the field they can fill those spots if needed. There are NO WRs that have shown they are capable.

This debate will go round & round. BPA at #15. Good thing is if it is a WR-TE-NT-ILB-OLB-FS-CB....We could use them all!

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers philosophy in first has nothing to do with need. It is about their board. Taking a WR in the first says nothing about what they feel is their largest need. If there is a WR rated higher than any defensive player....The pick is easy.

Remember one thing people. Colbert's predraft talk every year he says the same thing. The Steelers like to go into a draft with no NEEDS...Only WANTS. If a player is there that fits a NEED the pick is easier if the grade is close. Look at our draft history. Guys have fell who we didn't think would be there & fit a need...Pick was made. Guys were there that fit a need but the Steelers stayed true to their board & took BPA. If you have been around long enough...You know this is true.
    So, you believe the Steelers never consider need? Come on. Of course need plays a role in their board. They have said as much when they rule out players based on position. So, needs do play a role. If they have a WR at a 90, and an ILB or a DB at an 89...i would bet money they roll with the defensive player.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    So, you believe the Steelers never consider need? Come on. Of course need plays a role in their board. They have said as much when they rule out players based on position. So, needs do play a role. If they have a WR at a 90, and an ILB or a DB at an 89...i would bet money they roll with the defensive player.
    Need is given some consideration, but how is WR not a position of need? Sanders has shown that he has zero ability to stretch the field. His catch rate on deep passes was abysmal because he gets no separation when he goes deep. And there is also his inability to make clutch catches. I've said that he is an ok #3 or a low end #2, and I stand by that.

I'd take a big WR early even if Sanders returns. If he doesn't, JPN is right - you need an option better than what they have.

If the Steelers have an OG at 90 and an ILB at an 89, yes, they take the ILB. But WR isn't a position that I would rule out.