Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Defense vs Offense in the Draft

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Flippy, I'm not sure how anyone could watch the most recent SB and come to that conclusion. D wins championships. While I would love to add a bit of speed at the WR position, I think our OL could be pretty good next year. Grabbing the TE I have in my sig, and a middle round WR should be enough to improve our strength. But, our D needs a healthy infusion of youth and attitude. We need to cut mediocrity.
    AC Leonard? Remember what happened last time we drafted a guy Urban Meyer recruited to Florida with questionable character in the 5th? Dude got run from Florida for domestic violence. We did that already with Chris Rainey in 2011. Don't think they'll roll those dice twice. Let the Ravens or the Bengals have him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    For the first time in a long time I am not screaming OLINE!!! Although if someone falls I won't cry if we go OLINE. BUT this team needs a WR and a TE and the rest can go to DEFENSE!!
    My exact same position. Get the impact player at WR or TE in Round 1 and then go defense the rest of the way.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    My exact same position. Get the impact player at WR or TE in Round 1 and then go defense the rest of the way.
    In this draft, there are impact WR's for round two. Keenan Allen was drafted last year in round 3.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    In this draft, there are impact WR's for round two. Keenan Allen was drafted last year in round 3.
    Could say the same thing about every defensive position too

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I don't understand. You guys don't think AB is an impact player? He's not a #1 WR?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Flippy, I'm not sure how anyone could watch the most recent SB and come to that conclusion. D wins championships. While I would love to add a bit of speed at the WR position, I think our OL could be pretty good next year. Grabbing the TE I have in my sig, and a middle round WR should be enough to improve our strength. But, our D needs a healthy infusion of youth and attitude. We need to cut mediocrity.
    I've taken a liking to Arthur Lynch from Georgia, he just screams Steeler to me. By no means is he going to blow anyone away down the seam but he will definitely improve the blocking. I'd give one more year to H Miller as the main pass catching target at TE then look for a replacement in 2015.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I don't understand. You guys don't think AB is an impact player? He's not a #1 WR?
    Its not that AB isn't an impact player. I think he will be the #1 WR for the future. But adding an additional impact player on offense would be great...In my opinion a redzone target like Benjamin is what the offense needs.
    1. CB – Marcus Peters – Washington – 6/190
    2. OG – Josue Matias – Florida State – 6-6/320
    3. OLB – Geneo Grissom – Oklahoma – 6-4/250
    4. DL – Ellis McCarthy – UCLA – 6-5/330
    5. TE – Jeff Heurman – Ohio State – 6-5/255
    6. FS – Adrian Amos – Penn State – 6/200
    7. DT – Terry Williams – East Carolina – 6-1/340

UDFA
    DB – Justin Cox – Mississippi St. – 6-2/190
    OLB – Davis Tull – Chattanooga – 6-2/242

Legend

User Info Menu

IMO he is a #1, but to prevent teams from focusing on him and taking him away you need a very strong #2 option in the passing game. You can do that with another front line WR like Mike Evans or Marquis Lee or an athletic pass catching TE like Eric Ebron. It just makes it that much harder for the opposing team to focus on stopping AB.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The Steelers need at least one piece to compliment AB. They need someone to create that advantage when the Steelers go pass with a Single safety high. They didn't have it with Sanders here & they won't have it with Wheaton.

AB was able to take advantage of a CF safety with his YAC but They need someone to make the Safety cheat and create the larger windows. It could be vertical or horizontal because of AB's ability after the catch. So that COULD come in the form of a Bigger WR or a Flex type of TE. Being that Miller & Spaeth are on the roster...My inclination would be they would lean toward WR earlier & try to find the TE later. But that would be me. Haley likes his TEs & they could be used more in the run game. Just would have to see allot of 3 TEs sets to get that Flex guy on the field.

The biggest thing is the larger target in redzone. I'm not just talking jump balls. I talked about catching radius as it relates to trajectory in a shortened field which also relates to between the 20's in underneath routes. They Have Miller but Spaeth isn't much of a receiving threat. I'm a PSU guy so when I say Moye can't be penciled in as anything until he proves it...Don't take offense. Moye's problem is his small hands & he tends to drop in traffic & after contact. He has to show me something before I crown him anything but a PS player. Justin Brown could be that piece but we won't know until he see live bullets. So if you can't see it, hear it, or smell it....It isn't there.

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't get it either... AB put up crazy numbers with Cotch and a pathetic Sanders (to hear them tell it).

I have no problem drafting a WR in the second but it would be crazy to go WR in the first. It would be bats@#t crazy to go TE in the first as well.

All these complaints about the D and people want to go WR? So we can "outscore" opponents in this fake, pass happy NFL?

Nah.. go D or go home. We can't outscore teams if they are running it down our throats eating up clock.