Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30

Thread: Bart Scott on Ben

  1. #11
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,379
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    As a fan of Ben since he was a rookie I have often wondered how other great quarterbacks would play under the conditions in which Ben plays most every Sunday. This Super Bowl was probably as close to that simulation that you will ever see, there were times Manning had plenty of time, there were times he had an average amount of time and there times he had almost no time, he looked confused and at times inept.

    Ben makes a silk purse out of a sow's ear more often than many fans want to believe. If Ben is playing in that game the Broncos have a chance, I don't think he over throws the first INT because of pressure, I'm almost certain he would have moved to avoid Avril walking the tackle back into him and I think he would have hit some plays. The game would have been competitive simply because of Ben's ability to avoid a pass rush. The Broncs probably still lose, the Seahawks did to Peyton what Ben has seen every Sunday for as long as I can remember.

    Pappy
    The Seahawks woulda had to respect the deep ball with Ben. They looked great because they're fast and were defending a short field against Peyton. Ben woulda ripped that D apart with Thomas and Decker and his pump fake.

    As good as Peyton was this season, that loss was on him. Put a QB like Ben, Brady, or Rodgers on the Broncos and that SuperBowl woulda been a blowout in the other direction.

  2. #12
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,380
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    The Seahawks woulda had to respect the deep ball with Ben. They looked great because they're fast and were defending a short field against Peyton. Ben woulda ripped that D apart with Thomas and Decker and his pump fake.

    As good as Peyton was this season, that loss was on him. Put a QB like Ben, Brady, or Rodgers on the Broncos and that SuperBowl woulda been a blowout in the other direction.
    you are tripping... it wouldn't have been a blowout if Brady was the QB. Rodgers and Ben could keep the game close but they would also struggle due to the DB's being big, fast and blanketing WR's. Even when teams go deep on the Seahawks you see the DB's in position to make plays most of the time.

    If Ben or Rodgers were the Bronco's QB you would've seen a closer loss. No one was beating that Seahawks D on Sunday because the WR's were being punished after the catch.

    I think John Fox is the one who should get most of the blame. They didn't game plan to beat a tough, young, aggressive D. They went out and treated this like another AFC West game.

  3. #13
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, United States
    Posts
    1,383
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    you are tripping... it wouldn't have been a blowout if Brady was the QB. Rodgers and Ben could keep the game close but they would also struggle due to the DB's being big, fast and blanketing WR's. Even when teams go deep on the Seahawks you see the DB's in position to make plays most of the time.

    If Ben or Rodgers were the Bronco's QB you would've seen a closer loss. No one was beating that Seahawks D on Sunday because the WR's were being punished after the catch.

    I think John Fox is the one who should get most of the blame. They didn't game plan to beat a tough, young, aggressive D. They went out and treated this like another AFC West game.

    Agree with you on this one!

  4. #14
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,379
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    you are tripping... it wouldn't have been a blowout if Brady was the QB. Rodgers and Ben could keep the game close but they would also struggle due to the DB's being big, fast and blanketing WR's. Even when teams go deep on the Seahawks you see the DB's in position to make plays most of the time.

    If Ben or Rodgers were the Bronco's QB you would've seen a closer loss. No one was beating that Seahawks D on Sunday because the WR's were being punished after the catch.

    I think John Fox is the one who should get most of the blame. They didn't game plan to beat a tough, young, aggressive D. They went out and treated this like another AFC West game.
    I disagree. The Broncos have a slew of good WRs and Seattle couldn't have covered them all if they had to defend a longer field imho. And as aggressive as they played, I think they'd have bit all day on the pump fake and really opened up the deep ball.

    Not taking anything away from Seattle. They're good and glad they won. But I don't think they're as good as Peyton made them look. Look at who Seattle played all year and the only 2 franchise QBs they faced this season prior to the SuperBowl were Brees and Manning. None of them being particularly big armed QBs.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    you are tripping... it wouldn't have been a blowout if Brady was the QB. Rodgers and Ben could keep the game close but they would also struggle due to the DB's being big, fast and blanketing WR's. Even when teams go deep on the Seahawks you see the DB's in position to make plays most of the time.

    If Ben or Rodgers were the Bronco's QB you would've seen a closer loss. No one was beating that Seahawks D on Sunday because the WR's were being punished after the catch.

    I think John Fox is the one who should get most of the blame. They didn't game plan to beat a tough, young, aggressive D. They went out and treated this like another AFC West game.
    Gotta agree.
    Flippy, I share you view that Bens skills would fare better than Manning, but please don't think he would shred that defense.
    Save for ONE DRIVE Ben has been nothing special in 3 Superbowls against average to BAD defenses.
    Peyton got picked twice, that is a typical SB for Ben against average players.

    Against a great defense? We would get crushed, Ben throws multiple picks against these ball hawks.

    Ben could however make more plays than Manning did for the reasons Flippy gives. But he would make plenty of mistakes looking at his history.

  6. #16
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,573
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    you are tripping... it wouldn't have been a blowout if Brady was the QB. Rodgers and Ben could keep the game close but they would also struggle due to the DB's being big, fast and blanketing WR's.........
    Those Seattle DB's may be big and physical but none of them are "fast".
    Steelers 2014 Draft

    1-Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    2-Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-Jordan Tripp ILB/OLB Montana
    4-Christian Jones ILB Florida State
    5-Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5-Michael Schofield OG/OT Michigan
    6-Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
    6-Ben Gardner DE Stanford
    7-Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma

  7. #17
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,225
    great post, pap

  8. #18
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Those Seattle DB's may be big and physical but none of them are "fast".
    They are fast enough...

  9. #19
    Pro Bowler Jigawatts's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Around The Way, OH
    Posts
    2,447
    Can they stick with the receivers long enough while Ben dances around would be tacklers?

  10. #20
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts View Post
    Can they stick with the receivers long enough while Ben dances around would be tacklers?
    Kapernick was 14-24 for 147 1TD 2INT's...

    Not saying Kap is Ben but he can avoid a rush and throw the ball downfield... and most times the DB's were still in coverage.

    I stand by my opinion that the score would've been a little closer but then you have to figure in the run... Lynch would've ran all over our Rush D.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •