Thread: 2005 Steelers - 2013 Seahawks similarities

Starter

User Info Menu

2005 Steelers - 2013 Seahawks similarities

Pretty striking how similar these two teams are. Both teams have 2nd year QB's that many label as "just a game manager." Both teams have a pounding, grind-it-out running style with a punishing big back (although Pittsburgh had the Willie Parker complement). Both teams are have hard-hitting defenses who attack the QB (Steelers had 15 sacks and 5 INT's in those playoffs alone!)

Will be interesting to see how Seattle manages the team in the coming years. I heard a good interview with the Seahawks beat writer on NFL Radio last week and he was talking about it. He said that the only reason that Seattle was able to sign DE's Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett was because they have a 2nd year QB on a rookie contract. He basically talked about how it was kind of a perfect storm for them this year in that they had a lot of low-priced, lesser known players outperforming their contracts. Avril and Bennett, both free agent signings, combined for 16.5 sacks this season! Neither of whom would even be on that team if they were paying Wilson on a larger contract (which is coming)

I loved watching this Super Bowl because Seattle played exactly like I want the Steelers to play. Hard-nosed, physical football. That being said, I think it's a pipe-dream to say, "oh let's just copy the Seahawks and do what they did." They caught lightning in a bottle this season and lots of things fell perfectly into place for them. DGMW, I'm not knocking them at all, but it always takes some luck to win a SB.

The 2014 Steelers are in a much different place than the 2013 Seahawks. I absolutely believe that we can become a more physical team on Defense through the draft and some shrewd moves in Free Agency, but it's not going to be an easy road. Lots of cap money is dominated by the stars on the team, which will be the EXACT same thing that will happen in Seattle in a few years when they have to pay Wilson, Sherman, Earl Thomas etc. If you're a Seahawk fan, enjoy the run and hope they can get back to the SB a few more times like Pittsburgh did.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Actually, the Seahawks got robbed in Detroit. It is what it is.
    This should be their second ring.
    I'm a die hard Steeler fan, but I don't take much pride in that Detroit robbery.
    I like to win fair and square. The Steelers got handed that super bowl in Motown.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Regardless of the calls in XL, Seattle didn't play well enough to win. Most Hawks fans that I know have admitted that by now.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hardesthittinglbever View Post
    Actually, the Seahawks got robbed in Detroit. It is what it is.
    This should be their second ring.
    I'm a die hard Steeler fan, but I don't take much pride in that Detroit robbery.
    I like to win fair and square. The Steelers got handed that super bowl in Motown.
    Oh FFS give it a rest. First of all you're dead wrong. Second of all this original post had ZERO to do with that Super Bowl, and is about the similarities of the teams.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

People at the party I was at were asking me why I liked Seattle and not Manning and the Donkeys. My response was, "I'm a Steelers fan. I love good defense and a punishing rushing attack."

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Seattle's D last night was as dominating as I can remember watching in a Super Bowl. Not the BEST ever, but darn impressive. Chancellor absolutely lays the wood.
    Last edited by NW Steeler; 02-03-2014 at 07:02 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler View Post
    Seattle's D last night was as dominating as I can remember watching in a Super Bowl. Not the BEST ever, but darn impressive. Chancellor absolutely lays the wood.
    Agreed. I wanted to see the D unit win the MVP, but if they must give it to one player I would have gone Chancellor. He also had an int, and he laid the first big hit that set the tone.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

That first hit on Thomas by Chancellor was blistering. Kinda thought Denver flinched pretty bad after that start.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    Oh FFS give it a rest. First of all you're dead wrong. Second of all this original post had ZERO to do with that Super Bowl, and is about the similarities of the teams.
    Looks like he bought all the propaganda as well. Doesn't even matter if he's a Steelers fan!