Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Defense, defense, defense...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Smith had 19.5 sacks after 5 years. Hood has 11.5 Aaron Smith had 7 pass deflections in his 5th year. Ziggy Hood has 7 in his career. Ziggy's high in tackles is 26. Aaron Smith's high was 55 and he only had 2 years with less than Ziggy's high, including his rookie year when he played sparingly.

On stats alone, Ziggy was not in the same ballpark, let alone better than Aaron Smith.

Of course, we both know that the true value in a 3-4 DE goes well beyond the stat sheet. How many games have we seen where an opponent comes out of the gate and runs right at Ziggy?

I get that Ziggy Hood was the 32nd pick. There were a ton of guys who were worse selected right after him. There were also guys like Max Unger left on the board. Even for the 32nd pick, you can expect a player to be an asset, but Ziggy is just a guy. He's obviously no Smith (Aaron or Justin, take your pick), and that is an awfully high standard. But I don't even think he is a KVO.

I said equal or better comparing to Keisel & Smith. Smith played in 70 games & started 63 over his first 5. Hood played in 80 starting 46 over his first 5. Don't forget overlap...Hood was backing up Smith in '09, '10', & '11 and was forced into the line-up when Smith went down for the season. Smith started 30 games his first 3 compared to Hoods 23. TT 185 for Smith & 19.5 sacks...140 TT & 11.5 sacks in first 5. Hood has 7 in 5 years but Smith has 18 over 13 years...So don't skew. So "ballpark" isn't relative with overlap.

Nobody said Hood is A Smith or Justin Smith now or ever will be...But he isn't just a "guy" & he is an asset. If you know anything about football then you know the handing of an offense...So Saying they run at Ziggy is like saying that you don't know why water runs downhill. If I was game planning & my OL was better right with my LG trapping & I had to run at Hood or Keisel in his prime...Where would you go? Hood is solid & if the price is right should be retained. He will be 27 so it is fair to say there is still upside. With that contract you could always develop & upgrade but Hood & Heyward give you a dependable solid pair.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Thats not what I am doing at all. He gets washed out of the play constantly, he tries to bend the corner like an OLB and hes up on the ground, and the only time you see him win battles are lined up directly over center.

Year 1 TC: WOW look at his use of hands for a rookie, Even the great aaron smith says so
    Year 2 TC: WOW Hood is dominating in one on ones, taking rookie pouncey to school
    Year 3 TC: WOW look at Evander jump on tires and **** at Ultimate Extreme Sports place
    Year 4 TC: WOW Evander is looking slim and explosive

Over it. Its not about glory, if he can do his job to make the defense better thats perfect, he doesnt.

Hood doesn't get washed out of the plays constantly. He wouldn't have been on the field & replaced earlier in his career. Heyward got better by leaps & bounds and took his spot. Hood has lazy technique at times because he feels his strength will bail him out when he should be sound on his hand placment to control. He loses the abilty to fall off blocks on cutbacks. Bottom line...Hood is the better option than Keisel. If you could retain him at 2.5-3 mil...You do it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

hood stinks

I don't understand wanting to bring everyone back from two straight 8-8s

how bout we try to get better

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Hood doesn't get washed out of the plays constantly. He wouldn't have been on the field & replaced earlier in his career. Heyward got better by leaps & bounds and took his spot. Hood has lazy technique at times because he feels his strength will bail him out when he should be sound on his hand placment to control. He loses the abilty to fall off blocks on cutbacks. Bottom line...Hood is the better option than Keisel. If you could retain him at 2.5-3 mil...You do it.
    Would rather role with Al Woods as a DE (he finally shook that "raw" label. He ridiculously athletic, but gets out leveraged on the inside. And bring in an Alex Carrington as a DE, maybe see what Nick Williams has. Theres better options besides Hood, and your right...keisel shouldnt be considered one of them

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Would rather role with Al Woods as a DE (he finally shook that "raw" label. He ridiculously athletic, but gets out leveraged on the inside. And bring in an Alex Carrington as a DE, maybe see what Nick Williams has. Theres better options besides Hood, and your right...keisel shouldnt be considered one of them
    I believe Woods will be retained. I still think the Steelers offer Hood a contract. I don't believe the will go much North of what McClendon's deal.

Legend

User Info Menu

I believe Woods will be retained. I still think the Steelers offer Hood a contract. I don't believe the will go much North of what McClendon's deal.
    For what McClendon got, I wouldn't hate bringing Ziggy Hood back. I wouldn't like it, because there is no sign of progress, but I wouldn't hate it.

If Ziggy Hood is only getting a McClendon-level contract, that is the market speaking about his ability and saying that he is a marginal starter, at best, in the NFL.

Legend

User Info Menu

I disagree that Hood is better than Keisel, and apparently, so did the coaching staff.

Keisel outplayed Hood, a guy who should be in his prime and coming into his own. If you only keep one, I'd keep Keisel, for a few reasons:

1) Cheaper
    2) Keisel, due to his time in the league, will not factor in to the FA comp pick formulation. Hood will.
    3) Retaining Keisel forces you to find a better option. Retaining Hood allows the same, mediocre status quo.

Legend

User Info Menu

I disagree that Hood is better than Keisel, and apparently, so did the coaching staff.

Keisel outplayed Hood, a guy who should be in his prime and coming into his own. If you only keep one, I'd keep Keisel, for a few reasons:

1) Cheaper
    2) Keisel, due to his time in the league, will not factor in to the FA comp pick formulation. Hood will.
    3) Retaining Keisel forces you to find a better option. Retaining Hood allows the same, mediocre status quo.
    nope... go with the younger guy. Keisel is a fan favorite but if we have to choose between the 2 you have to go with Hood.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

1) Cheaper

Coaching staff gave no indication they feel Keisel is better than Hood. Keisel was still playing well in 2013 but the time has come to make a decision on future & Kiesel isn't in it. If Hood wants too much I'm sure Kiesel is the fall back plan. Not sure what you are talking about with the FA comp formulation. That doesn't factor when you sign your own. You are right..retaining Kesiel FORCES you to find a better option...Creating a hole. That isn't favorable. Might cost you the same cap number for a 36 year old with 1 year left versus a 27 year old. More importantly...Retaining Hood allows you time to develop that option while not creating a hole. Also allows you not to invest in a high pick to do it. When that "replacement" overtakes Hood...Hood becomes expendable. If Hood continues to get better it creates very good depth.

Legend

User Info Menu

Coaching staff gave no indication they feel Keisel is better than Hood. Keisel was still playing well in 2013 but the time has come to make a decision on future & Kiesel isn't in it. If Hood wants too much I'm sure Kiesel is the fall back plan. Not sure what you are talking about with the FA comp formulation. That doesn't factor when you sign your own. You are right..retaining Kesiel FORCES you to find a better option...Creating a hole. That isn't favorable. Might cost you the same cap number for a 36 year old with 1 year left versus a 27 year old. More importantly...Retaining Hood allows you time to develop that option while not creating a hole. Also allows you not to invest in a high pick to do it. When that "replacement" overtakes Hood...Hood becomes expendable. If Hood continues to get better it creates very good depth.
    When the coaching staff put Heyward into the starting lineup, Ziggy Hood went to the bench. He only started again because of injury. I can't think of a clearer indication that they thought Keisel was performing better.

As for the comp pick formula, I know that signing your own does not factor into the formula. But if Hood leaves and signs elsewhere, that does become a factor in the formula. He could offset a signing; Keisel would not offset a signing.

Given his age, I think Keisel could be had for a veteran minimum contract. If not, then thank you for the memories and good luck elsewhere.

Finally, you don't need a high draft pick to replace Hood. Go with Keisel/Woods, and draft somebody like Brent Urban, DeAndre Coleman or Taylor Hart in the middle rounds. Or draft a NT and kick McClendon into the mix at LDE.