Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Defense, defense, defense...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Umm... not really. Manning completed nearly 70% of his passes.... I would call that tackling the catch. The dif is that SEA DID tackle after the catch.
    They were 3 and 4 yard passes and the D made them pay everytime they caught it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Manning only attempted 9 passes > 10 yds. This was an indication of the pass rush.

The 2008 Steelers defense did the same thing to a lot of QBs. And it was JHarrison LWoodley ASmith CHampton

Fix the pass rush.

Legend

User Info Menu

Manning only attempted 9 passes > 10 yds. This was an indication of the pass rush.

The 2008 Steelers defense did the same thing to a lot of QBs. And it was JHarrison LWoodley ASmith CHampton

Fix the pass rush.
    Bingo^^^^^

Legend

User Info Menu

All I know is that after watching the Seahawk defense last night, the Steelers are light-years behind on defense. It can't all be fixed this year, I would have liked to see more from Jarvis Jones based on his hype coming out of college, but we didn't. I think he'll be a good player, but if Mack or Barr make it to 15, I'd take one of them. If that cat Hageman makes it to 15, snap him up to be a DE. CJ Moseley available? Take him, this defense needs help and playmakers, the best corner back falls to 15, take him, basically, I'd say the BDPA at 1.15 and possibly 2.47.

The only defenders safe IMO would be Heyward and Timmons and possibly Woodley (simply because of his pre-payday performance), everyone else could be cut or will be competing for a spot.

Pappy

Trade 20 & 119 to Tampa for 26/57

1.26 - Graham Barton, OC/G, Duke
    2.51 - Xavier Leggette, WR, South Carolina
    2.57 - Braden Fiske, DT, FSU
    3.84 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    3.98 - T'Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas
    7.178 - Joe Milton III, QB, Tennessee
    7.195 - Omar Speights, LB, LSU

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

our front 7 is already loaded with high picks.

how many high picks does seattle have in their front 7. or their whole defense for that matter.

earl thomas - 1sr rd
    irvin - 1st round (not even a full time player)
    wagner - 2nd rd pick

instead drafting defense high and un teaching them the ways that got them drafted high in the first place, lets have them play like they did in college and show off the talent that got them noticed and picked that high

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post

how many high picks does seattle have in their front 7. or their whole defense for that matter.

earl thomas - 1sr rd
    wagner - 2nd rd pick

instead drafting defense high and un teaching them the ways that got them drafted high in the first place, lets have them play like they did in college and show off the talent that got them noticed and picked that high

Hallelujah!!!!!!! Quit trying to convert these guys and missing on one-third to half. Let them playt where they have and do waht got them drafted. Been saying it for years. The only people we confuse anymore are our own players.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post

earl thomas - 1sr rd
    wagner - 2nd rd pick

tried that experiment with J Jones and V Williams. both asked to play their respective positions in the NFL. Result was underwhelming. Fact is, it takes most players about 2 - 3 yrs to get comfortable at ANY position in the NFL.
    I will bet more rookies will see the field next season as well.

Legend

User Info Menu

tried that experiment with J Jones and V Williams. both asked to play their respective positions in the NFL. Result was underwhelming. Fact is, it takes most players about 2 - 3 yrs to get comfortable at ANY position in the NFL.
    I will bet more rookies will see the field next season as well.
    You are absolutely right that it takes most players time to get comfortable. You see rookies on both sides of the ball who struggle with adjusting to the game, only to get better in their second and third years.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    The Super Bowl showed us all what a talented back end does to a passing offense. The Hawks stayed in Cover 1 no matter what the Broncos gave them personnel wise and played down & distance ball. The Steelers were incapable of that in '13 with their secondary & won't be in '14 unless the replace Clark with a FS with range & upgrade Taylor. Put the Steelers defense on the field yesterday in that SB with Nix playing NT....They would have been lit up! Nix would have been on the sideline for most of the plays yesterday & only came in on passing downs to give Heyward, Hood, Kesiel, McClendon breathers. The biggest problem... Can't all be done through draft for '14. Have to make a splash FA signing to close the gap for '14.
    I thought they played more cover 2 than they had all season. Chancellor was back quite a bit. Sure there was a lot of Cover 1, but they did both (for a change). I do agree that we cannot play cover 1 and be effective.

Still, for me, their DL pressure made their secondary great in this game (not vice versa). Those DEs owned Denver's tackles all night long. As a result, Manning was constantly hit and off target. Couple that with tight coverage and it was a thing of beauty. Reminded me of that old time team from the seventies that played physical bump and run coverage and had a dynamic defensive line.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    I thought they played more cover 2 than they had all season. Chancellor was back quite a bit. Sure there was a lot of Cover 1, but they did both (for a change). I do agree that we cannot play cover 1 and be effective.

Still, for me, their DL pressure made their secondary great in this game (not vice versa). Those DEs owned Denver's tackles all night long. As a result, Manning was constantly hit and off target. Couple that with tight coverage and it was a thing of beauty. Reminded me of that old time team from the seventies that played physical bump and run coverage and had a dynamic defensive line.
    yep... 2 INT's were due to pressure up the middle and Manning rarely had time to set his feet. If Wilson was there QB you would see more completions and extended plays.

Pocket passers this year were 1-8 vs Seattle with 7 TD's and 19 INT's.