Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Defense, defense, defense...

Legend

User Info Menu

You could draft all defensive players and how many do you think would actually get to contribute in 2014?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Last 10 drafts for Steeler, they have spent "0" 1st round picks on DBs. They spent 2 2nds in the last 10...McFadden & Colclough. I think it is more about allowing the secondary to get old & slow because they had good players in place. The FO let father time sneek up on them since Troy was picked in the 1st 11 drafts ago.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    You could draft all defensive players and how many do you think would actually get to contribute in 2014?
    Excellent point. The Steelers never should have drafted Troy Polamalu, Ike Taylor, Lawrence Timmons, Lamarr Woodley, Aaron Smith, Brett Keisel, Joey Porter, Larry Foote or any of the other stalwarts they drafted on defense over the last decade because they did not make big contributions as rookies.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think your point is very valid & I have felt the same. I think the Steelers will have to make a splash signing in FA in the secondary to close the gap quicker....Maybe a FS. Having the starting CBs or Ss penciled in would turn the draft into producing 1 starter in the secondary early in 2014. The Steelers better have 2 new faces out of the starting 4 from 2013 in the secondary or there may be problems again.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

lets all be relieved that the browns didn't wait to hire dan quinn like they should have.

nice move jimmy.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Excellent point. The Steelers never should have drafted Troy Polamalu, Ike Taylor, Lawrence Timmons, Lamarr Woodley, Aaron Smith, Brett Keisel, Joey Porter, Larry Foote or any of the other stalwarts they drafted on defense over the last decade because they did not make big contributions as rookies.
    Your list netted 4 starts out of 128 possible games in their rookie years. I think that was his point. The Steelers need an influx of talent & youth in '14 and that's allot to rely on the draft for. Even in year 2 of your list there was 65 starts out of 128. Given "history"...The Steelers are in a pressing situation.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post

Your list netted 4 starts out of 128 possible games in their rookie years. I think that was his point. The Steelers need an influx of talent & youth in '14 and that's allot to rely on the draft for. Even in year 2 of your list there was 65 starts out of 128. Given "history"...The Steelers are in a pressing situation.
    I agree... in past years we could afford to be patient but if we want to have a playoff caliber team next year we need some players to play NOW

Legend

User Info Menu

Jarvis Jones, Shamarko Thomas, and Vince Williams all contributed on defense this year...
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Jarvis Jones, Shamarko Thomas, and Vince Williams all contributed on defense this year...

i think he meant get on the field and play good
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    i think he meant get on the field and play good
    Oh my most on this board went rookies to play right away and you get a defense like 2013. Then you get posts like this when rookies can't hang. Does that mean they can not. No they all could end up great players. Also how was Seattle's D in 2010 and 2011 when a bunch of these players were rookies? Also there looks to be a lot of 3rd rd and after players on that defense. The Steelers do not "need" high picks in the secondary. They just need some good young HUNGRY players back there. They need HUNGRY players all over the team. The guys with a chip on there shoulder and the want to be great. Not the Woodleys of the NFL. But Woodley did help us win a super bowl. Need a HUNGRY team with talent to win it all. There have been some very good teams not make it or lose in the super bowl because not enough HUNGER or lacked some talent. We all will see how hungry the 2014 Steelers are come this preseason after 2 8-8 seasons.