Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Defense, defense, defense...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Timmons would be a backup for SF.
    Sho nuff

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    You may see that as a compliment but I see it as a problem. I doubt these kids will keep up with DL and all the info he puts on them. The guy is a genius but the average football player isn't a scholar. Simplify, simplify, simplify...its the only way we will get these kids up to speed before DL hits 100.
    So, you're saying that when the Steelers had dominant defenses that Lebeau simplified the defense for them or they were all Rhodes Scholars compared to today's players? I'm fairly certain the defense wasn't simplified for Smith, Porter, Farrior, Harrison, Hampton, Taylor, Polamalu, etc, the players on defense today simply aren't that good, regardless, of the fact that you can't have All-Pro players at every position, the Steelers have very few players that would be starters on the top 5 teams' defenses in the NFL, certainly none of the secondary (I doubt Polamalu even starts), Timmons at the second level and Heyward from the D-line. You need more than that to succeed and no amount of simplification will help, IMO.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    So, you're saying that when the Steelers had dominant defenses that Lebeau simplified the defense for them or they were all Rhodes Scholars compared to today's players? I'm fairly certain the defense wasn't simplified for Smith, Porter, Farrior, Harrison, Hampton, Taylor, Polamalu, etc, the players on defense today simply aren't that good, regardless, of the fact that you can't have All-Pro players at every position, the Steelers have very few players that would be starters on the top 5 teams' defenses in the NFL, certainly none of the secondary (I doubt Polamalu even starts), Timmons at the second level and Heyward from the D-line. You need more than that to succeed and no amount of simplification will help, IMO.

Pappy
    I'm saying years ago we had time on our side... we had ample time to develop players on practice squads and enough talent to hide 1 or 2 positions while they learned the system.

If you think we can lose Woodley, Clark, Hampton, Haggans, JH, Farrior, Foote, Hood, Smith, Keisel?, Lewis and use the same scheme/model as we did when we only had to fill 1 or 2 positions we aren't going to see this D turn the corner under Lebeau.

The problem is back in the day we didn't add 5 to 6 players in a 2 year window to our D and need them to perform at a high level.

edit: and the key word is "dominant".... we haven't been dominant in a while. I know we had a #1 stat a few years ago but that D didn't pass the eye test for domination when you put it up against other Steeler D's.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 03-17-2014 at 11:11 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I agree with Felt, the last time this defense have been dominate was 2008. Good since then but not dominate.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    I agree with Felt, the last time this defense have been dominate was 2008. Good since then but not dominate.
    A dominant D could put in Troy and get away with it for a year... they could let Harrison and Ike play ST's for a few years before plugging them in full time...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I'm saying years ago we had time on our side... we had ample time to develop players on practice squads and enough talent to hide 1 or 2 positions while they learned the system.

If you think we can lose Woodley, Clark, Hampton, Haggans, JH, Farrior, Foote, Hood, Smith, Keisel?, Lewis and use the same scheme/model as we did when we only had to fill 1 or 2 positions we aren't going to see this D turn the corner under Lebeau.

The problem is back in the day we didn't add 5 to 6 players in a 2 year window to our D and need them to perform at a high level.

edit: and the key word is "dominant".... we haven't been dominant in a while. I know we had a #1 stat a few years ago but that D didn't pass the eye test for domination when you put it up against other Steeler D's.
    You're right, I can't disagree with any of that, really, but I hate hearing about how complex the defense is for rookies and young players to grasp, these guys have been playing football for a long time, it really shouldn't take more than a year to get comfortable in a defense, should it? I don't think so, but if they aren't good enough football players no amount of knowledge of the defense will help.

The Steelers have been fortunate to have some really good football players at key positions on defense for many years and now they don't, Hampton on the D-line, Farrior and Harrison the LB corps and Troy in the secondary. One is a HOFer and the other three were certainly top 5-8 at their position for at least 5 years. Who now? No one, that's who, bad drafting and no development has put the Steelers in a position in which they are unfamiliar. IMO, it's not because the defensive playbook is too complex for them.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post