Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Yikes!

  1. #1

    Yikes!

    A team wins the Super Bowl with defense and a run-heavy offense. Back to the 70's, yinzers!

    Where's Crash when you need him?

  2. #2
    Pro Bowler D Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,319
    Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    A team wins the Super Bowl with defense and a run-heavy offense. Back to the 70's, yinzers!

    Where's Crash when you need him?

    I wouldn't call that a run heavy offense. I think their offense is very well balanced, effortless almost. They even put themselves in holes with penalties all game long and dug it out with sound play calling and execution.


    that was the most complete team win and domination I can remember in a long long time.

  3. #3
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    6,990
    Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    I wouldn't call that a run heavy offense. I think their offense is very well balanced, effortless almost. They even put themselves in holes with penalties all game long and dug it out with sound play calling and execution.


    that was the most complete team win and domination I can remember in a long long time.
    What the Seahawk offense did was manage to put itself in positive down and distance all game, it seemed every third down was 5 yards or less. They didn't ask Wilson to win the game, just make one good play after another and that's exactly what he did. Dare I say it? He "managed" the game, OMG, a game manager that makes plays won the super bowl, Roger won't be happy about that. I can't even begin to describe how much I enjoyed watching an offense flounder and a defense dominate in today's NFL. A thing of beauty, I hope the Seahawks can keep that defense together and stick it to the "let's turn the NFL into the Arena league" gurus.

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  4. #4
    Great sharing ...!
    hehehe

  5. #5
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,779
    Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    A team wins the Super Bowl with defense and a run-heavy offense. Back to the 70's, yinzers!

    Where's Crash when you need him?
    I disagree with Run-Heavy offense. If you have home run hitter like AP or Beast well it makes sense but to have Run heavy offense with the likes of Redman, Dwyer and Mendy its just foolish.


    Your best players should be on the field.
    Steelers Draft
    Rd 1: Mike Evans - WR
    Rd 2: Kyle Van Noy - ILB/OLB
    Rd 3c: Philip Gaines - CB
    Rd 4: Taylor Hart - DE
    Rd 5: Justin Ellis - DT
    Rd 5c:Xavier Grimble -TE

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    They didn't ask Wilson to win the game, just make one good play after another and that's exactly what he did. Dare I say it? He "managed" the game, OMG, a game manager that makes plays won the super bowl, Roger won't be happy about that.
    I didn't think Wilson played well at all, he just made no costly mistakes. He missed some easy throws, he almost missed a couple of others that the receiver made plays on. Both TD passes were short, easy throws that were followed up by great individual efforts. An early big play down the sidelines should have been a TD, but was badly underthrown (like a duck). Only because the WR had beaten the DB so handily did it result in a big play as he waited patiently for the ball. Great D and Harvin were the keys to this offense.

  7. #7
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,372
    It's just Denver. No one gets blown out in SuperBowls like the Broncos. I remember them getting shellacked by SF and Washington. Now Seattle.

    Peyton and the Broncos were the perfect marriage.

  8. #8
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    6,990
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I didn't think Wilson played well at all, he just made no costly mistakes. He missed some easy throws, he almost missed a couple of others that the receiver made plays on. Both TD passes were short, easy throws that were followed up by great individual efforts. An early big play down the sidelines should have been a TD, but was badly underthrown (like a duck). Only because the WR had beaten the DB so handily did it result in a big play as he waited patiently for the ball. Great D and Harvin were the keys to this offense.
    The score of the game and Wilson's box score say differently though, he played small ball, made plays and move the chains, you can't really ask for much more. His receivers are average to slightly above average, I don't think any team is going, wow, I need that receiver on my team. He managed the game, didn't make any mistakes and made plays, his play wasn't the reason they won, but his play wasn't going to be the reason they lost either. His TO ratio is 26/9, completed 63% of his throws, and a 101 QB rating for the year. You can win a lot of games with a quarterback that turns the ball over .5 times per game.

    He may not be great at bringing a team from behind, but with solid play like he exhibited this year and their defense he was probably rarely behind.

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  9. #9
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cincitucky (Stinktown, U.S.A.)
    Posts
    3,956
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I didn't think Wilson played well at all, he just made no costly mistakes. He missed some easy throws, he almost missed a couple of others that the receiver made plays on. Both TD passes were short, easy throws that were followed up by great individual efforts. An early big play down the sidelines should have been a TD, but was badly underthrown (like a duck). Only because the WR had beaten the DB so handily did it result in a big play as he waited patiently for the ball. Great D and Harvin were the keys to this offense.
    I completely disagree. He escaped the blitz very well. He threw some absolutely beautiful passes (some bullets, some touch passes). He was great. Sure there were a few stinkers and he was not winning the game on his own. But, he played very well and turned some bad plays into very good ones. He is also a very underrated technician. His play fakes and footwork are among the best in the game. I was more than a little impressed. Wilson is a winner.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •