Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: what this superbowl has shown us....

Legend

User Info Menu

Another factor was the QB.... some people say the mobile QB is a fad but I think in this new NFL you better off with a QB who can throw on the run and move around against a pass rush.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    What I found to be rather humorous was watching Peyton drop back and do a play action pass because it seems as if its a habit rather than part of the play. The Seahawks could have cared less if he handed the ball to Moreno, but he kept taking the snap and faking the ball into the belly of a back as if it was freezing linebackers. The Broncos offense was outclassed, similar to the Vikings offense in Super Bowl IX versus the Steelers. The Vikings had 17 yards rushing on 21 attempts (this includes one for 12 yards, without that one they would have had 5 or 6 yards rushing), Dave Osborne rushed 8 times for -1 yards and they had102 yards passing. The Vikings got a gift in the 4th quarter. That performance was easily as dominant as today's, some of you just aren't old enough to remember.

Pappy
    I noticed those fakes late in the game, too, and had a similar reaction.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    That would be a 4-3 defense that can pressure the QB and generate takeaways. That's not ours
    Are seriously going on record and stating this defensive performance wouldn't be possible in a 3-4>.... because that is what it sounds like.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't think needing a great defense was ever in debate. We should know first hand...It wasn't our offense that dictated our season down the stretch.

What his SB showed me was 100% of my beliefs revealed. It showed me exactly what the Steelers WERE NOT capable of in '13 & ARE NOT capable of in '14 if they bring back the same personnel. The Hawks shut down Manning in Cover 1. That is all you need to know about what you saw yesterday. Meaning...The Seahawks were capable of going single safety high and playing man under. Thomas has the range & ability to play both sidelines from CF. They were able to do that in base & sub. So the Hawks were not forced to give up anything against the run because of Broncos personnel groupings. The Hawks could play down & distance football. The Steelers could not do that in '13 & they won't be able to do that in '14 without personnel changes.

Summary...It won't be fixed with Clark, Troy, & Ike. Let Clark walk...No offer at all. Ike will have to take a big cut & his starting spot will be challenged out of the gate. With the regression shown in '13...I don't think he will hold anyone off. The Steelers could get by with Troy at SS ...IF....And I say IF....They get a FS with range. Now the question is how they go about fixing that. That is priority #1. To be honest...It actually devalued the "Nix" pick even more unless the make a "splash" FA signing at Safety or CB. The Steeler need a minimum of 2 pieces to finish this puzzle & you can't put both on the draft. The Steelers secondary needs to have C Allen & Troy with 2 NEW faces in '14.

So here is what I say may be the best solution. The Steelers would have to make that "Farrior" or "Hartings" splash in FA but that may be the quickest way to close the gap. Since the Steeler will let Clark walk & you don't want to pencil a rookie in at his replacement in a DL defense...The Steeler should sign a Major Wright or Malcolm Jenkins FA to start at FS. I don't think they will invest at the level of a Jarius Byrd. The reason I say FS in FA is because the $$$ versus a top tier CB will work better against the cap. Once a FS is acquired...I would also kick the tires on Vontae Davis, Antione Cason, Tracy Porter, or CB cuts once the new league year starts. Basically, an experienced starter quality CB. If you could get one of them in the 2-3 mil range...You sign one. Taylor needs to be challenge if he takes a cut to stay. If Taylor doesn't take a pay cut...You cut him & sign one.

So lets say for argument...The Steelers sign Malcolm Jenkins to play FS & also sign Antione Cason at CB. Cason is the guy you sign to challenge Taylor. If Taylor is cut...You have to sign one. The Steelers still draft a CB in the 3rd back. Through camp...Taylor may regress more & loses his spot to Cason or the rookie. If Taylor falls off to the point where the rookie overtakes him...A decision will have to be made. I don't see that happening but the Steelers have to make sure they don't let a young DB prospect slip through the crack just to keep Taylor on the roster. Heading into the draft you have Polamalu & Jenkins penciled in at the starting safeties. The Steelers have C Allen & one of Taylor, Cason, Gay, & Rookie that will start at CB...TBD. Draft a Pierre Desir in the 3rd...The cream will rise to the top in that group. When it comes down to final cuts....Let the play on the field dictate the final decision & not the name on the back of the jersey.

Now here's where all this pay off. Taking into account Worilds is also locked up. If you are sitting at #15 & Mosley or Nix is there....The pick is an injection into the defense not just one of many pieces needed to improve. Now, either of those picks makes more sense & really could produce Great Value immediately.

It's not only there in the 1st. Even if they go WR in the 1st...Taking a guy Like Kyle Van Noy in the 2nd would play dividends. Van Noy is that Hybrid LB that would excel in this defense. He is starter capable inside & out. He has very good coverage skills & rushing skills. I think the Steeler will be looking for this type to offset the uncertainty with Spence & help OLB depth. Van Noy may be viewed by the Steelers as a starting Mack in base with Timmons moving to Buck. He stays on the field in sub with rush & coverage abilities. He has "Steeler LB" written all over him.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 02-03-2014 at 11:54 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It use to be a stop the run first, then the pass 2nd. Now it's let them run (within reason) and stop the pass 1st.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    It use to be a stop the run first, then the pass 2nd. Now it's let them run (within reason) and stop the pass 1st.
    I think it's stop the run and the pass regardless of which is first... this can be done with a great front 7. If we can get pressure with 4 to 5 guys we will see our DB's play much better.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Front 7 doesn't cover downfield. That doesn't make your old & slow secondary faster. You could put all probowlers in the Steelers front 7 & Manning & Brady would lite the secondary up.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Front 7 doesn't cover downfield. That doesn't make your old & slow secondary faster. You could put all probowlers in the Steelers front 7 & Manning & Brady would lite the secondary up.
    like Brady did with the Giants a few years ago?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    like Brady did with the Giants a few years ago?
    Sure! If that is the best you could come up with. A 21-17 Superbowl with 750 yards of total offense. Looks like a real defensive battle to me.

But Hell...Why speculate...We played Brady in 2013? Brady put up 432 passing yards & 4 TDS against the Steelers this past year. The Steelers were really stingy that game only allowing 610 total yards. Dam front 7.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 02-03-2014 at 12:38 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post

Sure! If that is the best you could come up with. A 21-17 Superbowl with 750 yards of total offense. Looks like a real defensive battle to me.

But Hell...Why speculate...We played Brady in 2013? Brady put up 432 passing yards & 4 TDS against the Steelers this past year. The Steelers were really stingy that game only allowing 610 total yards. Dam front 7.
    Our front 7 sucked this year... but when we our front 7 was better a few years ago we looked good vs Brady and we were respectable vs Manning last year to start the season.

Now for those Giants...

Both SB's Brady has struggled to put up points vs the Giants.
    2007 ppg: 37 Giants held them to 10
    2011 ppg: 32 Giants held them to 17

Who the hell was in the secondary those 2 seasons? Exactly...
    Who was in the front 7? Strahan, Umenyiora, Tuck...

I have no problem with improving the secondary but I think it's much easier and faster to help the DB's if we go front 7.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 02-03-2014 at 02:10 PM.