Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: what this superbowl has shown us....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Im not sure I'd put so much blame on the secondary. Take away Hampton, Harrison, and Foote out of the front 7 and that created huge problems getting after the QB, forcing mistakes, and making tackles. Going from Harrison generating pressure and making a ton of tackles to JJ doing next to nothing was the biggest drop off. Then McClendon not being able to control the LOS and collapse the pocket freed up linemen to get to our ILBs making them less effective. It also hurt the pass rush. Just look at how often Woodley (when healthy) went right by the QB with a huge pocket to step up into.

Then you take away Foote and almost play Troy at ILB and leave Clark often as the single high safety and Clark's never been a coverage guy and he definitely slowed down. That puts added pressure on the CBs. And I'm not sure Tez stepped up like everyone expected.

It was a domino effect. But I'd say the biggest missing pieces were our NT, ROLB, and ILB in that order. And if the front 7 could have tackled and got pressure, I think we would have been ok on the backend. Of course, there's going to have to be some turnover and new blood in our secondary. But I'm not sure I'd be ready to pin our lack of success on that unit. Actually if Tez can play to the level we think he's capable, that unit could quickly turn into a strength on our D. I think Clark's the only one who's visibly slowed down and become less effective on the unit.
    Great post and I agree 100%. I know we have to replace some of our aging vets in the secondary but that can be done with 3rd and 4th round DB's. I think our front 7 still needs work. Worilds may not return, JJ hasn't turned the corner (yet) and Woodley stays hurt. VW is decent but I'm not sure if he is going to make an impact. Keisel is old and we still don't have a legit NT.

We also have Allen and a few other younger players in the secondary who can hopefully step up up now that they have the mandatory 3 or 4 years under their belt.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Did you know this off the top of your head or look it up?

99% of the time when I have a debate about the front 4 and ask who the Giants had at DB it's crickets.

I knew Webster, Ross, and Rolle from 2011, and Webster and Ross from 2007. Had to look up the rest.

Doesn't mean they weren't pretty good players though. Check their INT stats - they had ballhawks back there.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    I knew Webster, Ross, and Rolle from 2011, and Webster and Ross from 2007. Had to look up the rest.

Doesn't mean they weren't pretty good players though. Check their INT stats - they had ballhawks back there.
    Its easier to ball hawk when a QB can't step into a pass or under pressure. My point is we don't need 1st rounders to field a decent backfield... I think FA needs to be utilized and our draft should focus on the front 7 early on.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Its easier to ball hawk when a QB can't step into a pass or under pressure. My point is we don't need 1st rounders to field a decent backfield... I think FA needs to be utilized and our draft should focus on the front 7 early on.
    There is more than one way to skin a cat. Seattle didn't spend all first rounders on their awesome secondary, although Earl Thompson was a high 1st rounder, but Sherman was a 5th rounder.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Which position(s) should be the focus? I think Heyward and Timmons are the only sure things right now.

DT and DE could both be in play. I think Keisel has another year in him - could draft a 2nd/3rd rounder and let him learn a bit. Louis Nix should definitely be on the radar.

OLB has a logjam, no sense drafting there - gotta make something work with JJ, Woodley, and maybe Worilds.

That leaves one more ILB spot - would you take a thumper or an athlete like Timmons? I'd say thumper and turn Timmons loose. We know he can be successful bringing the heat, and I think it would be easier to plug and play a young thumper than a guy who has to think about coverage/run/pass/what should I be doing this play. Maybe CJ Mosley in the first, although he seems more in the all around athlete/pass coverage specialty group from what I have read.

On the back end, there are no sure things. All positions should be in play every round.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    Which position(s) should be the focus? I think Heyward and Timmons are the only sure things right now.

DT and DE could both be in play. I think Keisel has another year in him - could draft a 2nd/3rd rounder and let him learn a bit. Louis Nix should definitely be on the radar.

OLB has a logjam, no sense drafting there - gotta make something work with JJ, Woodley, and maybe Worilds.

That leaves one more ILB spot - would you take a thumper or an athlete like Timmons? I'd say thumper and turn Timmons loose. We know he can be successful bringing the heat, and I think it would be easier to plug and play a young thumper than a guy who has to think about coverage/run/pass/what should I be doing this play. Maybe CJ Mosley in the first, although he seems more in the all around athlete/pass coverage specialty group from what I have read.

On the back end, there are no sure things. All positions should be in play every round.
    I prefer Nix in the first but I wouldn't be upset if we went OLB or ILB in the first if there is value there at 15.

I don't want a WR or TE in the first and I think CB can be found in a later round.

Worilds probably wont return, Woodley will play but he will get hurt, JJ hasn't proven he is ready to be that guy. OLB should still be on the table.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    There is more than one way to skin a cat. Seattle didn't spend all first rounders on their awesome secondary, although Earl Thompson was a high 1st rounder, but Sherman was a 5th rounder.
    I'm all about secondary in later rounds.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I prefer Nix in the first but I wouldn't be upset if we went OLB or ILB in the first if there is value there at 15.

I don't want a WR or TE in the first and I think CB can be found in a later round.

Worilds probably wont return, Woodley will play but he will get hurt, JJ hasn't proven he is ready to be that guy. OLB should still be on the table.

I like Justin Gilbert as a potential #1. Size, speed, great ball skills. Daqueze Dennard seems to have good coverage skills but most of his INTs looked like bad throws. He also tackles by throwing a shoulder and does not wrap up. I think Dennard could bust in the NFL, but I like what Gilbert shows.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm all about secondary in later rounds.
    not disagreeing with you dizz..

but it brings hawthorn to mind.. I was not at camp...but, from what I remember, the guy got hurt in camp..and then was cut. Did he ever see the field?

Legend

User Info Menu

seemed like he was predicted as an early round pick after his junior year... had some size too.