Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bettis Misses Out on HOF Again

Hall of Famer
    Brings up the question; which draft was the highest rated of all time in terms of HOF inductees?

1983: 7 players are in the HOF; Elway, Dickerson, B Matthews, J Kelly, Marino, D Green, R Dent

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Brings up the question; which draft was the highest rated of all time in terms of HOF inductees?

1983: 7 players are in the HOF; Elway, Dickerson, B Matthews, J Kelly, Marino, D Green, R Dent
    1981: 6 players; Taylor, Lott, Singletary, Long, Jackson and Grimm, not quite 7, but a nice haul
    1986, 1991, 1992: Biggest Bust; 0 HOFers drafted including supplemental draft

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Bettis' only discriminating requirement is that he is a member of the Steelers. The anti-Steelers bias is again proven to be alive and well. Hines Ward and Ben Roethlisberger take note because this is your future too.
    Bussey will get in eventually. Hines will sooner than anyone thinks.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    Kevin Greene has 18.5 more sacks (160) than Strahan (141.5) and they played 15 seasons each. Greene started 176 games while Strahan started 205, giving Greene a sack every 1.1 games started and Strahan a sack every 1.45 games started. Greene also has 2 more tackles then Strahan with less playing time. I'm really confused about this one and in disbelief about Bettis.
    Kevin Greene doesn't have a network TV gig with Kelly Ripa everyday to give him exposure.

This year, I thought Walter Jones and Derrick Brooks were slam dunk first ballot guys, but how about next year? Anyone strike you as a guaranteed lock for Canton among the first year eligible guys for next year? Junior Seau? Orlando Pace? Kurt Warner? Ty Law? Isaac Bruce? Edgerrin James? Kevin Mawae? Maybe one of those newbies get in on the first ballot

Next season could be a "clean-up" type of years for guys who have been waiting a while before some big names like Favre, Moss, and T.O. become eligible the following year. I could see a Junior Seau, Charles Haley, Jerome Bettis, Tim Brown, Kevin Greene class (plus the senior candidates, whoever they may be). Voters seem to hate Haley though, because the voters are all sportswriters and Haley treated sportswriters like crap (which shouldn't come into the equation, but does anyway), so perhaps they leave Haley out again and replace him with someone like Will Shields.

Legend
    You never know who's gonna get in across positions, but it really puzzles me that Andre Reed got in over Tim Brown???

Legend
    Junior Seau will get in next year IMO.

I have no clue how Reed made it in over Tim Brown. I truly believe there is some bias voting going on.

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Junior Seau will get in next year IMO.

I have no clue how Reed made it in over Tim Brown. I truly believe there is some bias voting going on.
    It is not really that Reed made it in OVER Brown, both are worthy, and Reed had been waiting four years longer for the logjam in front of him to free him up. He waited with guys like Cris Carter and Art Monk, all of whom should have made it in earlier.

Reed is currently the 13th overall receiver in terms of yards. Brown will go next, he is 6th overall. Soon afterwards, there will be a large contingent of receivers eligible...Owens, Moss, Harrison, so any other receivers better hurry and get in before they get pushed to the back of the line.

I agree with whoever said it before...Getting the TV gig helps out a lot when it comes to the vote. It keeps you in everybody's mind and memories become fonder. Watch NFLN and just see how many HOF jackets are there. They don't give them away to nobodies, but it does raise the profile.

Pro Bowler
    He will make it but it wouldnt surprise me if it were 20 years from now until he did

Legend
    I think you will see a bunch of WRs starting to get in because of how high visibility passing stats have become. I think the bar for RBs and defensive players will be higher.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!