Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Steelers OLB Jarvis Jones had false hype, now he has real experience

  1. #1
    Hall of Famer SteelCrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,083

    Steelers OLB Jarvis Jones had false hype, now he has real experience


    The myth of college players being "pro-ready" because of the system in which they played in college is dispelled by the rookie season of Steelers OLB Jarvis Jones. He now has real experience, which can only come in the NFL.

    Growth is when rare occurrences become routine and common.

    Progress is the gap of time between positive events narrows.

    There's a process involved with achieving that growth. The trajectory is measured in some combination of the aforementioned checkpoints. Less time between what once was rare, but now borders on the expected. Steelers outside linebacker Jarvis Jones is backward and reversed from modus operendi of the Steelers' process.

    Outside linebackers are usually drafted in the middle to late rounds of the draft, and developed over time. Jones was on the field in Week 1, playing a healthy amount of snaps (30). For comparison's sake, Jason Worilds, the team's second round pick in the 2010 Draft, played 46 snaps all season. LaMarr Woodley, a second-round pick in 2007, played eight snaps in the opener that year.

    Jones was the recipient of praise from armchair quarterbacks all across Steeler Nation after the team's Week 1 loss to Tennessee. He played 30 snaps, he made two tackles-for-loss and looked like he belonged. Worilds, his counterpart at the left outside linebacker position, produced no splash plays, thus confirming the offseason notion of many Worilds was playing his final year in Pittsburgh and Jones and Woodley would continue as the team's edge pass rushers for as long as they could stay on the field.

    Everything else on the team was bleak. One of the poorest offensive performances the Steelers had seen in years took more of the blame, but the positive resonance was Jones' performance in his first NFL game. He was sharp, he was instinctive. He was the playmaker the Steelers' defense desperately needed.

    Then nothing.

    He would go another 14 games before recording another tackle for loss, notching his first sack not in Week 2, but in Week 11, having run down Bills rookie quarterback E.J. Manuel in garbage time of an eventual 23-10 win over Buffalo. Sacks aren't tackles-for-loss, and he broke his 14-game streak in the season finale against a listless Browns team that would see its head coach fired just minutes after Pittsburgh's 20-7 win.

    The huge gap between tackles-for-loss and the rarity of sacks produced by Jones suggested growth was stagnant and progress was limited. Such is the life for rookies in the NFL, even ones as highly touted as Jones was coming out of the University of Georgia with the 17th overall pick.

    The process was shunned by fans after his Week 1 performance. There was no point in measuring growth or progress, he jumped immediately into "expected" territory. Why? Mostly because of the misconception that playing in a certain defense in college should make a player more "pro-ready."

    It's a laughably absurd notion. So he ran the same defense in college. The bulk of the snaps he ran in that defense were in practice, and they were probably run against true freshman, just months removed from their senior Prom. He faced three-time All Pro left tackle Michael Roos in the Steelers' opener, a legitimate man over the boys Jones had faced in his career.

    There is no college that shines to an outstanding degree over everyone else in terms of developing players there who can step on an NFL field in Week 1 and dominate as if they've belonged there years earlier. There are players capable of doing this, but it's certainly not the norm. Jones was no different than that. The lack of growth should have been anticipated; the progress was going to come slowly.

    Somewhere in all of this, what happened was the fact Jones got on the field was credited more to Jones' alleged ability and less on the fact the team just simply didn't have the depth to stash Jones on special teams for the year, allowing the standard process to take its course. Jones, like a depleted military in heavy combat, was forced to the front lines, ready or not.

    Because of that, the anticipated production never materialized. Whatever it was that put him in position to make two tackles-for-loss in Week 1 never returned. We saw flashes of it, like the play toward the end of the Steelers' 19-6 win over the New York Jets. A miscommunication of some type occurred between Jets LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson and the tight end, leaving Jones unblocked. He exploded toward quarterback Geno Smith, seeing an opportunity to make a play. Smith, another rookie, threw an inspired pass toward the left side of the field that was intercepted by Lawrence Timmons.

    He was credited with a quarterback hit, one of only two given to him by Pro Football Focus, a football play evaluation site. He had 25 hurries on the year (hits and sacks are not counted as hurries), and the site gave him a pass rushing productivity score of 6.9 (a formula measuring hurries, hits and sacks), good for 25th in the NFL.

    Something to remember, too, Jones had 18 pass rushes from the defensive left side, and four of his 25 hurries came from there. That gives him a pass rushing productivity score of 16.7, the highest in the NFL. Certainly, it's not valid considering how small the sample size is, but it's interesting nonetheless, considering the ballyhoo stirred up over who should play on the left, Worilds or Woodley, last season.

    Perhaps Woodley or Worilds would have had a better score than that had their rookie years had they seen the field more often. We won't know. Woodley made "the leap" in his second year while Worilds continued to languish on the bench.

    A huge storyline heading into the 2014 season will be the Steelers' defense's ability to hit the quarterback. A big part of that will be whether Jones is able to make exceptional plays routinely. It'll come down to whether he can close the gap between those routinely exceptional plays.

    If he does, it will be because of the Steelers' standard process. He's had a year in a pro system, and that system does not involve the SEC, true freshmen or myths about colleges being able to simulate an NFL-level practice.

    http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...review-outlook

  2. #2
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,632
    Jarvis Jones is a complete bust. If he could have only performed up to the standard of our last 1st round LB from 2007 with a whopping 13 Total Tackles (for the year) then Jones would be called a savior and responsible for the reincarnation of Blitzburgh back to the Steel City..

  3. #3
    Hall of Famer SteelCrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,083
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Jarvis Jones is a complete bust. If he could have only performed up to the standard of our last 1st round LB from 2007 with a whopping 13 Total Tackles (for the year) then Jones would be called a savior and responsible for the reincarnation of Blitzburgh back to the Steel City..
    How could you say he is a complete bust? He had a sack last year!

  4. #4
    Legend fordfixer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    State of confusion
    Posts
    7,744
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    How could you say he is a complete bust? He had a sack last year!
    Paper or plastic?

    Molon labe

    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell



    American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

  5. #5
    Hall of Famer SteelCrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,083
    Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer View Post
    Paper or plastic?
    I prefer those new one's that are made out of canvas

  6. #6
    Legend fordfixer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    State of confusion
    Posts
    7,744
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    I prefer those new one's that are made out of canvas
    Going Green huh?

    Molon labe

    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell



    American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

  7. #7
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,565
    We'll see in 2014...just two words: "show us"
    Last edited by Oviedo; 06-30-2014 at 08:42 AM.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  8. #8
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,565
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Jarvis Jones is a complete bust. If he could have only performed up to the standard of our last 1st round LB from 2007 with a whopping 13 Total Tackles (for the year) then Jones would be called a savior and responsible for the reincarnation of Blitzburgh back to the Steel City..
    Timmons wasn't handed the starting job then went on to crap all over himself. There were two solid ILBs on the team who were playing in the prime of their careers in front of Timmons, but don't let facts get in the way of the Jones "love fest."
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  9. #9
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Timmons wasn't handed the starting job then went on to crap all over himself. There were two solid ILBs on the team who were playing in the prime of their careers in front of Timmons, but don't let facts get in the way of the Jones "love fest."
    do you think Timmons would have been a beast his rookie year if he was handed the job?

  10. #10
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,883
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    do you think Timmons would have been a beast his rookie year if he was handed the job?
    there was an amazing video posted back then showing timmons getting absolutely crushed, especially vs the run. He was horrible his rookie year and into his second...but really he was drafted to replace porter despite being the damn near perfect WILL backer....he really grew into his position after adding 30 pounds and just becoming a hammer of a MLB who can run stride for stride with just about anyone.

    There was also a video of Frank summers "blocking" and by blocking i mean face planting into the turf

    Jones will be fine

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •