Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bettis Misses Out on HOF Again

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think Bettis' ranking on the all time rushing list is going to stay relatively safe which in a decade or 2 will get him the nod. Its not being snubbed imo, just the nature of what he did....he was no doubt a great player, but longevity got him his numbers and the hall is a numbers game and his dont pop out.

But, if curtis martin is a HOFer, bettis is too

Guys like LT and Peterson are the next wave HOF running backs though

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    I think Bettis' ranking on the all time rushing list is going to stay relatively safe which in a decade or 2 will get him the nod. Its not being snubbed imo, just the nature of what he did....he was no doubt a great player, but longevity got him his numbers and the hall is a numbers game and his dont pop out.

But, if curtis martin is a HOFer, bettis is too

Guys like LT and Peterson are the next wave HOF running backs though
    I kind of think it's the other way around: Longevity is a big part of making the Hall. Even outstanding players, who have a brilliant few seasons, won't make it if they don't stay in the league for a while. I don't think Terrell Davis will make it, for instance. I think Bettis' #s scream for HOF induction. And he had 13 TDs in his next to last season, so he wasn't a total slug towards the end.

[url]http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BettJe00.htm[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

With runners though peopler want the flash and dazzle, the receptions, the fantasy football all stardom.

Bettis is none of that...played for a long time, had some amazingly quick feet, but was a brusing runner and will be looked at as a goal line back

Longevity got Emmit smith in, he held most or all of the records though, bettis does not

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

With runners though peopler want the flash and dazzle, the receptions, the fantasy football all stardom.

Bettis is none of that...played for a long time, had some amazingly quick feet, but was a brusing runner and will be looked at as a goal line back

Longevity got Emmit smith in, he held most or all of the records though, bettis does not
    Emmitt hold the biggest record of all: most rushing yards every in the history of the NFL. Of course you got to put him in. Bettis is the 6th all time rusher in league history, ahead of other Hall of Famers such as Eric Dickerson, Tony Dorset, Jim Brown, OJ Simpson, Faulk, Edge James, John Riggins, Marcus Allen (the definition of longevity) and many, many others who made the Hall. Plus, Bettis was very unique: Only one big back ever had over one 1,000 yard season, and he had two. Bettis had SEVEN. No big back had as nimble as feet, too. It won't be long before JB is in. He deserves it in spades. This video would have been better with "Pop Dis Thang" but the rap is pretty dope too. How can anyone watch this an conclude JB doesn't deserve to be in the Hall?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    Emmitt hold the biggest record of all: most rushing yards every in the history of the NFL. Of course you got to put him in. Bettis is the 6th all time rusher in league history, ahead of other Hall of Famers such as Eric Dickerson, Tony Dorset, Jim Brown, OJ Simpson, Faulk, Edge James, John Riggins, Marcus Allen (the definition of longevity) and many, many others who made the Hall. Plus, Bettis was very unique: Only one big back ever had over one 1,000 yard season, and he had two. Bettis had SEVEN. No big back had as nimble as feet, too. It won't be long before JB is in. He deserves it in spades. This video would have been better with "Pop Dis Thang" but the rap is pretty dope too. How can anyone watch this an conclude JB doesn't deserve to be in the Hall?

relax.

Just observing how the game is now. Deserving WRs had a long wait to get in and RBs are going to see the same.

Guys like Bettis and James are probably going to get in someday, but it could be quite the wait and we can see this thread get created year after year after year because he'll be snubbed in the eyes of steelers fans. This generation of steelers players have 2 HOF locks, and 2 HOF potentials and imo that is a LOT of potential HOFers and maybe even too many. Waters down the talent pool. The hall is for the best of the best not the very good that played a while

Rookie

User Info Menu

When only five players in the history of the NFL have rushed for more yards than you, you belong in the HoF...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Might just be bad timing since one of those players is hall eligible in a few years, and a few years that bettis probably wont get in.

Tomlinson is a first ballot HOFer...is it fair? Probably not

Also doesnt help that Peterson will probably pass him in yards in 2 years and TDs this year...hes going to skyrocket up the list over the next 2 seasons....and IF he does, he'll do it in 4 less years....again, is it fair? probably not
    Last edited by K Train; 06-30-2014 at 04:48 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm ashamed to admit, but I had to go back and look at his career stats. I had forgotten just how good he was for us: 1,400+ and 1,600+ yards, his first two years with us. Put that with the 1,400 yards he had as a rookie, and that is three great seasons (for any RB).

He had five other 1,000+ yard seasons along with that (and one 900 yard effort late in his career). I have always been of the mindset that he is was a borderline HOF'r... I still don't think he is first-ballot by any means. But he deserves to be in.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

relax.

Just observing how the game is now. Deserving WRs had a long wait to get in and RBs are going to see the same.

Guys like Bettis and James are probably going to get in someday, but it could be quite the wait and we can see this thread get created year after year after year because he'll be snubbed in the eyes of steelers fans. This generation of steelers players have 2 HOF locks, and 2 HOF potentials and imo that is a LOT of potential HOFers and maybe even too many. Waters down the talent pool. The hall is for the best of the best not the very good that played a while

I am in a plush, leather office chair leaning back. I am pretty sure I am quite relaxed; what makes you think I am not.

Bettis is the 6th-highest rushing leader of all time, is media friendly/buddies with voters, had a boy scout reputation off the field, is beloved by many and all that means he is a sure lock to the Hall. Michael Irvin got in, and he had lots of black marks on his track record that JB doesn't. How ANYONE can watch the highlights of JB and not go away thinking he is HOF material (while also considering his total production) is beyond me. He is a lock.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I believe he gets in. He was an exceptional player and played long enough to be in there. A championship on his resume does not hurt.