Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Emmanuel Sanders Will Have Plenty of Competition on FA Market

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    With that line, the author lost all credibility.

Been proven fairly frequently that Bellichick sucks at finding WR talent. If it weren't for Brady, NE WRs would be bottom half of the league in production.
    but he has Brady... and because of him he is knows he doesn't need to break the bank looking for top notch WR's.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    With that line, the author lost all credibility.

Been proven fairly frequently that Bellichick sucks at finding WR talent. If it weren't for Brady, NE WRs would be bottom half of the league in production.
    His drafting at WR has been poor, which is a developmental standpoint...they run a pretty complex offensive route system there, its not secret he prefers WRs who have been in the league a few years when looking for targets for brady

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Sports radio said GM's like Rosenhaus because he always picks up the phone.
    I don't know why you wouldn't being in his position. You always want to listen to offers. I thought his stunt of faking being on the phone when the Bills were on the board to draft the Beast was funny, and the fact he admitted it was even funnier.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    His drafting at WR has been poor, which is a developmental standpoint...they run a pretty complex offensive route system there, its not secret he prefers WRs who have been in the league a few years when looking for targets for brady
    I don't think he cares all that much for developing WR's.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I don't think he cares all that much for developing WR's.
    I agree, Belicheat merely views WRs as interchangeable parts that can be easily replaced.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    I don't know why you wouldn't being in his position. You always want to listen to offers. I thought his stunt of faking being on the phone when the Bills were on the board to draft the Beast was funny, and the fact he admitted it was even funnier.
    I think some agents try to play hardball and don't return calls...

Someone on the sports channel said this is why they love Drew... he always picks up and he is always willing to negotiate.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Listened to Manny's interview with Denver sports radio today. From his statements, he was excited to look for a new team that really slings it around. Didn't seem staying in Pitts. was a consideration. Denver was his first choice all along. Denies the agreement was made with KC.

The biggest loss about him will be his knowledge of the offense. But I'm sure whatever new WRs come in will be just as productive.

Interesting to hear only 3 more players than Manny made people miss tackles. Sanders had 15.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    Listened to Manny's interview with Denver sports radio today. From his statements, he was excited to look for a new team that really slings it around. Didn't seem staying in Pitts. was a consideration. Denver was his first choice all along. Denies the agreement was made with KC.

The biggest loss about him will be his knowledge of the offense. But I'm sure whatever new WRs come in will be just as productive.

Interesting to hear only 3 more players than Manny made people miss tackles. Sanders had 15.
    I doubt it... what kills me is all the people "shocked" by these little stats about Manny. Every day there is a new one that suggest he wasn't a bad WR.

Legend

User Info Menu

The case for Sanders and deep thoughts

June, 2, 2014
    By Jeff Legwold | ESPN.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- When the Denver Broncos essentially made the Emmanuel Sanders-for-Eric Decker swap in their offense, they reached a reasoned conclusion, even beyond the financial considerations. Sanders’ quickness and versatility could be every bit as valuable -- or even a little more -- than Decker’s size and productivity in the scoring zone.

Emmanuel Sanders is hoping to be the perfect complement to Broncos' No. 1 receiver Demaryius Thomas.

And having now seen Sanders in on-field work in recent weeks, there is no reason to believe the Broncos

aren’t right on all counts there. Sanders also got rave reviews from his new teammates after he worked with quarterback Peyton Manning and the team’s other high-profile pass-catchers at Duke University before the team opened its offseason program.

Sanders has also enjoyed his opening look at the team’s playbook.

“That’s a good thing about this offense," Sanders said. “I like to catch the ball and have room and the opportunity to make someone miss. This system definitely plays to my strengths and that’s why I’m also excited to be here."

But Sanders will have to find a way to fill what some may find to be a surprising role in the offense that Decker had during the Broncos’ record-setting 2013. While Sanders has the speed to play on the outside to go with the short-area quickness to move into the slot when the Broncos want him to, when the Broncos elected not to offer Decker a contract, they gambled somebody could replace the deep-ball yardage Decker produced.

The Broncos spent about 70 percent of their snaps in a three-wide-receiver look last season, and that total hovered at about 90 percent of the snaps in the postseason. And while the Broncos have talked of wanting to run the ball more efficiently this season, there is no reason to believe they wouldn’t play to their strength and live in the three-wide set again.

In that formation, or any other, Demaryius Thomas is the unquestioned No. 1, a combination of size, speed and strength that makes him the Broncos’ chief matchup problem for secondaries. Thomas had almost 700 yards after the catch last season, and he was Manning’s chief target on plays of 20 yards or more downfield.

So while Decker had 47 percent of his catches go for 10 or fewer yards last season, and 69 percent for 15 or fewer yards, a look at the video shows he also led the team in deep-ball catches, with 15 receptions on passes caught at least 20 yards down the field. And there’s where Sanders comes in.

Thomas is going to get the No. 1 attention from opposing defenses. He will most often get the better corners with plenty of help sent that way as well.

Tight end Julius Thomas will pull plenty of attention his way, as well, simply because there are so few linebackers or safeties who can match up with the Broncos tight end when he’s locked in and disciplined in his routes.

That will leave Sanders in plenty of single-coverage situations down the field. Sanders makes tacklers miss, especially immediately after the catch, and he will be one of the Broncos' best receivers in getting off the jam at the line of scrimmage, something which vexed Decker at times, especially in his one-catch Super Bowl.

And that’s what is needed for the Broncos against the more physical defenses they face. Manning & Co. had 16 pass plays of at least 20 yards for touchdowns in the regular season. Against the San Diego Chargers, New England Patriots and Seattle Seahawks in the postseason, none of the Broncos' 10 pass plays of at least 20 yards went for a score.

The Chargers kept the lid on the Broncos so tightly, Denver had just one pass play of at least 20 yards -- a 21-yard completion from Manning to Julius Thomas -- in its divisional round game.

Rookie Cody Latimer, a physical receiver who was one of the fastest receivers on the board this year, will be in the mix, as well, as the Broncos try to create more space for their pass-catchers to work. That’s especially true since one of Latimer’s strengths as a college player was coming away with the ball in contested situations -- the so-called “50-50 ball" -- as Indiana’s No. 1 receiver.

For his part, Sanders said, after working alongside Demaryius Thomas and the rest of the Broncos in recent weeks, his belief the Broncos were the best place for him to land in free agency has been confirmed each and every day.

“I’m not saying that me and [Steelers wide receiver] Antonio Brown didn’t complement each other, but I feel like we’re too much of the same," Sanders said. “[Demaryius Thomas] is a big receiver. He’s a big, physical receiver and I’m a more a smaller, quick, faster receiver that can stretch the field. It definitely gives our offensive coordinator the ability to go imagine. I think Peyton likes that a lot better also. ... I had the opportunity to not only play with Ben Roethlisberger, who I think will be a first-ballot Hall of Famer, now to come into a passing system with one of the greatest, if not the greatest, quarterbacks to ever play that position, is definitely a blessing.”

[URL]http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/6858/the-case-for-sanders-and-deep-thoughts[/URL]