Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jason Worilds wants to stay -- as starter

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    Flippy I think Robinson was involved in the Felix Jones trade with Philly. But then I also remember thinking Philly cut him right away or something.
    I think you were correct. I think Robinson was a camp wonder and nothing more.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    Flippy I think Robinson was involved in the Felix Jones trade with Philly. But then I also remember thinking Philly cut him right away or something.
    Robinson has been cut by a few teams. He was signed and cut by the Broncos and Chargers after the Eagles waived him. The Redskins signed him in December.

His upside is to be Andre Frazier. Frazier was another camp wonder who played a few years on special teams but never amounted to anything as an OLB.

Woodley is a bust in my opinion. He isn't a playmaker at all.
    As the hardest hitting lb of all time, I should know.

I was really impressed by Worilds last year, especially when he ran down a guy trying to take it to the house. Worilds blew by corners and safetys to catch the guy and tackle him. I'd bet that he is the fastest guy on the team in the 100.

Pro Bowler
    ^^^Are you Jason Worilds?

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Robinson has been cut by a few teams. He was signed and cut by the Broncos and Chargers after the Eagles waived him. The Redskins signed him in December.

His upside is to be Andre Frazier. Frazier was another camp wonder who played a few years on special teams but never amounted to anything as an OLB.
    Cool, maybe we can bring him back somehow. Granted he didn't look like he could do anything besides rush the passer, but he was really quick and strong off the edge.

Pittsburgh Steelers Rumors: Jason Worilds Drawing Interest From A Dozen Teams

BY MATT SHETLER - FEB 24TH, 2014

Many feel that the Pittsburgh Steelers top priority this offseason is re-signing outside linebacker Jason Worilds.

Many also feel that will be as easy as cutting ties with fellow outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley. However as I have noted in the past, it won’t be that simple for the Steelers to get a deal done with Worilds.

Now, as expected, they have a ton of competition for the services of the fourth-year pro.

According to Tony Pauline of DraftInsider.net, “at least a dozen” NFL teams have already expressed a lot of interest in Worilds.

Pauline also adds that Woodley’s deal will make it “very difficult if not impossible” to keep Worilds.

The Steelers have Woodley under contract for $8 million next season to go along with a cap hit of $13.59 million. Releasing him this offseason would free up $25.5 million in cap space over the next three years. However it’s the dead money this year that will eventually hurt the Steelers whether or not Woodley is on the roster or not.

Worilds is coming off of a solid year in 2013 and has said that he has no intention of taking a back seat in the coming years, so the Steelers would not only need to pay him a market value contract, but also assure him that he will be a starter moving forward.

The Virginia Tech product had 63 tackles, eight sacks and two forced fumbles this season and was rated by Pro Football Focus as the No. 12 3-4 outside linebacker in the league.

With so much competition for Worilds’ services, you know for a certainty that the price will be driven up. If that is the case, it could be impossible for the Steelers to pay Worilds what he is going to get from other teams.

The Steelers are projected to be around $10 million above the salary cap going into the offseason. While there are ways they can free up money, will they be able to free up enough to ink Worilds to a deal and still fill some other needs?

http://cityofchampionssports.com/201...t-dozen-teams/

Legend
    Losing Worilds would be yet another condemnation and evidence of a failing system that doesn't allow players to get significant playing time until their third or fourth season.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Pro Bowler
    How so OV?
    Woodley and Harrison were there.

Hall of Famer

He got playing time

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Losing Worilds would be yet another condemnation and evidence of a failing system that doesn't allow players to get significant playing time until their third or fourth season.
    He started half the season his second year in the league. He came to camp his 3rd year, hurt himself, and couldn't distinguish himself from Cris Carter in any case. He failed (to stand out) so much that year, that the team saw fit to draft a 3-4 OLB in that spot. And that rookie beat him out in a competition for the starting job, in a system that "doesn't allow players to get significant playing time until their third or fourth season."

LaCanfora: Steelers Will Keep Woodley, Won’t Be Able To Sign Worilds

February 25th, 2014 Matt Loede

While it’s been talked about more than once this offseason already, there’s still some mystery as to what the Steelers are going to do with the outside linebacker spot that seemed to be in flux last season.

CBS Sports’s Jason La Canfora shed some light on the subject during an appearance on 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh, and what he said may come as a complete stunner to most Steelers fans.

The NFL Insider said in his opinion, he sees the Steelers keeping high-priced linebacker LaMarr Woodley around, this despite a salary that will see him make $8 million in 2014 after he made $3.6 million in 2013.

The cap hit is even worse for the Steelers, as Woodley’s inflated salary will eat up $13.5 million in the 2014 season, last season his cap number was $9.1 million.

The move to keep Woodley means that, according to LaCanfora, the Steelers will lose out on outside linebacker Jason Worilds, who was maybe the best defensive player on the field for the Steelers in the last half of the season.

LaCanfora feels that Worilds will get a lot of attention on the free agent market, and the up and coming LB will get an offer the Steelers simply can’t match.

It’s a bitter pill to swallow, as the combo of last years first-round pick Jarvis Jones and Worilds would make for a solid 1-2 punch at the two OLB spots for the Steelers.

“I don’t think they’re cutting Woodley,” LaCanfora said on the 93.7 The Fan morning show.

“I think there’s going to be a real strong market for Jason Worilds. I don’t think it’s limited to 3-4 teams, either. I think there are some 4-3 teams that are intrigued by him as well. I think he’s gone, I do. I think they’ll have a hard time retaining him.”

There is some good news in all this gloom and doom according to LaCanfora, and that has to do with safety Troy Polamalu, who LaCanfora says will take a cut in pay but will stay with the Steelers.

http://www.steelersgab.com/2014/02/2...-sign-worilds/