Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Defense vs Offense in the Draft

Legend

User Info Menu

Defense vs Offense in the Draft

The more I think about the draft, the more torn I am. We've definitely got to upgrade our D, but we might get the best long term bang for the buck if we got get Ben a big WR and another TE and shore up the OLine.

Improving our strength may be the quickest path to SuperBowl 7. And just let our current defenders develop, add some FAs, and draft some solid depth for the long haul on the D side of the ball.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

For the first time in a long time I am not screaming OLINE!!! Although if someone falls I won't cry if we go OLINE. BUT this team needs a WR and a TE and the rest can go to DEFENSE!!
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This is where I am. The Steelers sign a starting FS like a Jenkins & a starting caliber CB like a Cason...I think the 1st comes down to Nix, Mosley, or a WR. If they don't sign any outside FAs, flip a coin.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    This is where I am. The Steelers sign a starting FS like a Jenkins & a starting caliber CB like a Cason...I think the 1st comes down to Nix, Mosley, or a WR. If they don't sign any outside FAs, flip a coin.
    What salary range do you think Jenkins and Cason will command? This will determine if the Steelers are capable of signing them or not. My guess is that they will be priced out of the Steeler's ability to sign either of them.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    What salary range do you think Jenkins and Cason will command? This will determine if the Steelers are capable of signing them or not. My guess is that they will be priced out of the Steeler's ability to sign either of them.

Pappy

There is a reason I chose them & I took things into consideration. Ike is the domino of the offseason. Either a 4 mil paycut or cut him and gain 7 mil. If they cut him...they will have to sign a "Cason" FA. Cason played '13 on a 1 year 1.5 mil with the Cardinals. He played in all 16 games as the nickel back. He should be obtainable in the 2-3 mil range avg. The first year of the multi would be 1.5-2 so affordable. There are alot of these types out there (Tracy Porter or Nolan Carroll) & more will come with cuts.

Jenkins or similiar player will be the splash guy the Steeler NEED to make in FA. He played '13 on a 4 mil cap number. Troy isn't playing FS so they will need experience there. There is a deep pool of S in FA & that will help the Steelers. I chose Jenkins becasue of the interest the Steelers showed at Ohio State proday. There are many more names who are FA. Jarius Byrd, Donte Witner, Major Wright, Kendrick Lewis, TJ Ward, Chris Clemons, Nate Allen...So the market will be flooded. There is a reason I selected S as their splash FA signing. The franchise tag number for a S in '13 was 6.9. Morgam Burnett signed a 5/26 last year with the Pack & his '13 cap hit was 3.1 mil. So when all is said & done...The Steelers could get 2 starters in the secondary in the 4-5 mil range for

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post

There is a reason I chose them & I took things into consideration. Ike is the domino of the offseason. Either a 4 mil paycut or cut him and gain 7 mil. If they cut him...they will have to sign a "Cason" FA. Cason played '13 on a 1 year 1.5 mil with the Cardinals. He played in all 16 games as the nickel back. He should be obtainable in the 2-3 mil range avg. The first year of the multi would be 1.5-2 so affordable. There are alot of these types out there (Tracy Porter or Nolan Carroll) & more will come with cuts.

Jenkins or similiar player will be the splash guy the Steeler NEED to make in FA. He played '13 on a 4 mil cap number. Troy isn't playing FS so they will need experience there. There is a deep pool of S in FA & that will help the Steelers. I chose Jenkins becasue of the interest the Steelers showed at Ohio State proday. There are many more names who are FA. Jarius Byrd, Donte Witner, Major Wright, Kendrick Lewis, TJ Ward, Chris Clemons, Nate Allen...So the market will be flooded. There is a reason I selected S as their splash FA signing. The franchise tag number for a S in '13 was 6.9. Morgam Burnett signed a 5/26 last year with the Pack & his '13 cap hit was 3.1 mil. So when all is said & done...The Steelers could get 2 starters in the secondary in the 4-5 mil range for
    I like the thinking here. Free Safety could be a good FA investment indeed.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    I like the thinking here. Free Safety could be a good FA investment indeed.
    I like JPN's thinking on how to get this team back into the playoffs in totality. There are too many holes to fill via the draft and expect rookies to make enough of an impact to elevate the defense to the level it needs to be at to be a real playoff contender. Acquiring a relatively young FS and/or CB via free agency would be great, since from everything that I'm hearing about this draft is that there aren't any standout FS's or CB's, some good ones, but not top half of round one types.

This would allow the Steelers to draft either side of the ball at 1.15. As of right now you have to think the Steelers are leaning defense at 1.15 and/or 2.47.

Either or both of these guys would be a welcome sight at training camp.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I like JPN's thinking on how to get this team back into the playoffs in totality. There are too many holes to fill via the draft and expect rookies to make enough of an impact to elevate the defense to the level it needs to be at to be a real playoff contender. Acquiring a relatively young FS and/or CB via free agency would be great, since from everything that I'm hearing about this draft is that there aren't any standout FS's or CB's, some good ones, but not top half of round one types.

This would allow the Steelers to draft either side of the ball at 1.15. As of right now you have to think the Steelers are leaning defense at 1.15 and/or 2.47.

Either or both of these guys would be a welcome sight at training camp.

Pappy
    I also like JPN's idea of adding at least one defensive starter in FA. I wouldn't limit that to the secondary. I haven't seen who is available yet, but I could see a defensive lineman helping as well. In the draft, if the Steelers can get a big WR who helps them in the red zone, I'd like to see them grab him early. Aside from that, I would draft defense early and often.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd expect the Steelers will have to look at FA WRs, TEs, RBs, OL, DL, LB, S, and CBs to fill out the roster before the draft. They typically fill out the team so they put themselves in a position to draft BPA.

I'm really torn which way I think the Steelers should go in the draft at this point and maybe it'll become clearer once we get thru FA. This team has so many needs at this point. And I'm leaning right now toward Mosley being the likely best player that will be available when we pick. But I also think we can bring back Foote and see if Williams/Spence develop and don't necessarily need an ILB with our first pick.

Legend

User Info Menu

Flippy, I'm not sure how anyone could watch the most recent SB and come to that conclusion. D wins championships. While I would love to add a bit of speed at the WR position, I think our OL could be pretty good next year. Grabbing the TE I have in my sig, and a middle round WR should be enough to improve our strength. But, our D needs a healthy infusion of youth and attitude. We need to cut mediocrity.
    Trolls are people too.