Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Le'Veon Bell vs Bettis: Who would you rather have?

Legend

User Info Menu

Le'Veon Bell vs Bettis: Who would you rather have?

To many fans this may seem like a ridiculous question. But, when talking about Bettis getting into the HoF, it came across my mind and I didn't really know the answer. Who would I rather have as the modern day Steeler running back...Bell or Bettis? I'm not comparing their careers, or trying to say Bell is better than Bettis. But, I do wonder with modern day rules, and a leaning towards being a more passing league would I rather have Bell who is a more well rounded back...or would I want a Bettis who is a sledge hammer?

Just would like to read some discussion on the topic.
    Trolls are people too.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Bettis.... for now.

Bell was a pleasant suprise this year after dealing with early injury problems. I lke what I see but I still can't select a guy that has 1 year of playing experience over a very consistent HOF career RB.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Backup

User Info Menu

I think football is cyclic and the sledgehammer back will be in vogue again somewhere down the line. In the current passing league, stopping the pass first has become just as important as stopping the run. In order to defend the pass you are seeing faster but lighter LBs be successful in the league. In a few more years more teams will lighten up to better defend the pass and slot receivers.

Eventually a team will use a sledgehammer back like Bettis to take advantage of this shift and the pendulum will swing back to the running game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MicroBioSteel View Post
    I think football is cyclic and the sledgehammer back will be in vogue again somewhere down the line. In the current passing league, stopping the pass first has become just as important as stopping the run. In order to defend the pass you are seeing faster but lighter LBs be successful in the league. In a few more years more teams will lighten up to better defend the pass and slot receivers.

Eventually a team will use a sledgehammer back like Bettis to take advantage of this shift and the pendulum will swing back to the running game.
    I have to disagree. I think that kind of back will go the way of the Fullback...a situational piece of the offernse and a minor one at that. RBs just have too short a lifespan in the league because of the punishment they take. That is what is so remarkable about Bettis...he was able to do that so long with the power running he did. That is why he is truly a once in a generation talent who deserve to be in the HoF.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

no brainer...bettis
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Legend

User Info Menu

Bettis and it isn't even close. I like Bell quite a bit, but get back to me on him in a few years.

Legend

User Info Menu

Jerome Bettis by a landslide, Le'Veon Bell has done nothing so far to include himself in the conversation with The Bus...

Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Bettis in a heartbeat. The guy was huge, with great footwork amd he got stronger as the game went on...

Bettis was rare... extremely rare.

Starter

User Info Menu

In no way shape or form am I sayin Bell >Bettis,he might not ever be,but the way the game is played today I"d take Bell. It's a passing league,the rules make it so. Bells skill set,fits the game the way it's played now. He can run,catch the ball out of the backfield and turn it into a big gain,and he can pass protect.I would love to see Bell run behind the type of O-Line Bettis had with the Steelers back in the day.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Bettis.... for now.

Bell was a pleasant suprise this year after dealing with early injury problems. I lke what I see but I still can't select a guy that has 1 year of playing experience over a very consistent HOF career RB.
    If Bell ends up with half a career as productive as Bettis, he will be fortunate. Bettis was unique. For a big man, with those soft, nimble feet, we may never see the likes of him again. Bell has some good potential, but will be likely become a hall of famer? Not likely. Bettis will. Bettis was more special than most realize.