Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 36

Thread: Le'Veon Bell vs Bettis: Who would you rather have?

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    To many fans this may seem like a ridiculous question. But, when talking about Bettis getting into the HoF, it came across my mind and I didn't really know the answer. Who would I rather have as the modern day Steeler running back...Bell or Bettis? I'm not comparing their careers, or trying to say Bell is better than Bettis. But, I do wonder with modern day rules, and a leaning towards being a more passing league would I rather have Bell who is a more well rounded back...or would I want a Bettis who is a sledge hammer?

    Just would like to read some discussion on the topic.
    No question,... physically the Bussey of his first three seasons of his career with us absolutely embodied Steeler Football. As he did as a man, leader, professional and football player for the rest of as much.

    Bell is good kid,...he's talented and has a big heart. However i just can't even begin to think of him in the same category as Jerome or even Barry Foster.

    Great thing about it is though,...he (Bell) still has the opportunity to make his own mark and create a Legacy.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Polamalu View Post
    No question,... physically the Bussey of his first three seasons of his career with us absolutely embodied Steeler Football. As he did as a man, leader, professional and football player for the rest of as much.

    Bell is good kid,...he's talented and has a big heart. However i just can't even begin to think of him in the same category as Jerome or even Barry Foster.

    Great thing about it is though,...he (Bell) still has the opportunity to make his own mark and create a Legacy.
    Rod, I hear what you are saying...but at least in comparison to Bettis...your argument is an emotional one. It's not supported by the numbers. That "good kid" outperformed Bettis in 2 of Bettis' first 3 years in both yards per game and TDs per season. Keep in mind Bettis had a better OL. Obviously that is cancelled out by the fact that Ben takes some of the heat off of Bell...and Bettis didn't have a QB. It's why I know it's debatable...apples to oranges...different eras sort of thing.

  3. #23
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,865
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I think the fact that there is some pause for thought, shows that Bettis really shouldn't be a HOF. I mean, he was good don't get me wrong. But he was never "the best". How can you be considered HOF, when you were never considered the best of the best at your position, not even for a season?
    Bettis is one of "the best" big RB's in NFL history... at one time he was 4th on the rushing list and now he is 6th. When you consider the era, size, his QB's and his durability I think it's an easy decision.

  4. #24
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,865
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Rod, I hear what you are saying...but at least in comparison to Bettis...your argument is an emotional one. It's not supported by the numbers. That "good kid" outperformed Bettis in 2 of Bettis' first 3 years in both yards per game and TDs per season. Keep in mind Bettis had a better OL. Obviously that is cancelled out by the fact that Ben takes some of the heat off of Bell...and Bettis didn't have a QB. It's why I know it's debatable...apples to oranges...different eras sort of thing.
    Bell may have "stats and averages" but if you watched both players their first year in the league it isn't even close. Bettis took over games and Bettis played in an era when it was tougher to generate yards IMO.

  5. #25
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,741
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    BTW: within those years Bell beat Bettis in TD production in all but one of Bettis' seasons.

    ok. you win. bell is better than bettis. its not even close.
    1) CB D Dennard
    2) OLB R Shazier
    3) DE J Ellis
    4) WR M Bryant
    5a) OG D Yankey
    5b) OLB J Tripp
    6a) RB D Archer
    6b) NT D McCullers
    7) WR J Janis

  6. #26
    Maybe if Cowher and some other strong voices work hard at selling a Bettis induction, it will get him over the top. But I'm doubtful that this is the year. Don't get me wrong, I believe Bettis belongs in the HOF...but I think too many of the voters look at him as being a bit overrated, with his numbers from his last four seasons not helping his case.

  7. #27
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,865
    Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Maybe if Cowher and some other strong voices work hard at selling a Bettis induction, it will get him over the top. But I'm doubtful that this is the year. Don't get me wrong, I believe Bettis belongs in the HOF...but I think too many of the voters look at him as being a bit overrated, with his numbers from his last four seasons not helping his case.
    I think his last 4 years actually help him. He was a team player... took a team under his wing and was the inspiration for that SB in Detroit.

  8. #28
    Backup Notleadpoisoned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NotPittsburgh
    Posts
    387
    Bell could just as easily become the next Rashard Mendenhall. A great Big 10 RB but injured early on in the NFL, some decent production for a couple of seasons then off to Arizona.

  9. #29
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,567
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    How about this...who gets more production?

    Bettis behind Beachum, Foster, Velasco, Decastro, Gilbert

    or

    Bell behind Marvel, Faneca, Hartings, Simmons, Starks

    Great point, but you also have to figure in that Bettis made that OL look really good because he got yards when there weren't any holes and if you recall many times he put his shoulder down and pushed the Off Lineman forward.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  10. #30
    Hall of Famer ikestops85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,269
    I'm sorry but this shouldn't even be a discussion. Put Bettis in against defenses today and he would shred them even more than he did in his era. You spread the defense out and watch Bettis truck linebacker after linebacker. Let's see how Bell would do against 9 in the box that Bettis would regularly face in the 4th quarter ... and he would still grind out 1st down after 1st down. I don't care how good your line is that is a tough task.

    In today's game there is always the threat of a pass which works in the running backs favor. Just take a look at New England's ground game to prove that. In the Bettis era it would be "hi diddle diddle Bettis up the middle" and there wasn't a damn thing the defense could do to stop him. Then throw in the fact that Bettis was a good receiver ... he would love to catch a screen pass with a little space ... and this discussion shouldn't even take place.

    I hope in 4 or 5 years this discussion will be relevant because that would mean Bell has turned out to be a great back but I don't think we can say that right now.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •