Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Le'Veon Bell vs Bettis: Who would you rather have?

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    In no way shape or form am I sayin Bell >Bettis,he might not ever be,but the way the game is played today I"d take Bell. It's a passing league,the rules make it so. Bells skill set,fits the game the way it's played now. He can run,catch the ball out of the backfield and turn it into a big gain,and he can pass protect.I would love to see Bell run behind the type of O-Line Bettis had with the Steelers back in the day.
    I understand what you are saying but nah.... no way. Its a "passing league" but Bell is still getting 15 to 20 rushes most games... and rarely does he get over 60 to 70 yards a game. Bettis would get 100+, punish defenders and Bettis had had decent hands. He wasnt explosive like Bell but he would run through defenders and that takes a toll on defenders.

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    no brainer...bettis
    absolutely. No comparision..

we are talking about a hall of famer vs a rookie. Let's have this discussion again in about 10 years lol

Before I get into my opinion...I want to restate for the record this isn't about comparing a rookie to a HoF'r or saying Bell is better. It's about who do you think would be most effective behind this OL...in this modern day NFL.

Comparing rookie years...

Bell=96.8 yards of production per game
    Bettis=104.5 yards of production per game

Comparing Bettis' second season to Bell's rookie
    Bell=96.8
    Bettis=82.3

Comparing Bettis' first year with the Steelers vs Bell's rookie year

Bell=96.8
    Bettis=96.0

So while some think it is a ridiculous question...I would suggest that behind a very lack luster OL...Bell found ways to be productive...in ways that compared very well to Bettis.

In todays NFL, I think it's more important to have a back who can catch...who can create mismatches with LBs in space with good hands and route running.

So in today's NFL behind our current OL...I think Bell vs Bettis is a very reasonable question. If you could guarantee me that Bell would be as healthy as Bettis...I know who I would choose.

BTW: within those years Bell beat Bettis in TD production in all but one of Bettis' seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I understand what you are saying but nah.... no way. Its a "passing league" but Bell is still getting 15 to 20 rushes most games... and rarely does he get over 60 to 70 yards a game. Bettis would get 100+, punish defenders and Bettis had had decent hands. He wasnt explosive like Bell but he would run through defenders and that takes a toll on defenders.
    Well, we really know that Bettis didn't get his 100 on 15-20 rushes, if that were the case his YPC would have been 5.0 plus and it was 3.9. But, hyperbole aside, I'll take Bettis all day as it stands now. If Bell stays healthy next year, I believe he'll get his 1300 yards rushing and throw in 350 receiving yards. After that, the sky may be the limit for the kid, but he has to stay healthy. He gained a lot yards after contact this year (especially late in the season), it seemed like he rarely, if ever, went backward, he seemed to fall forward all the time and he's explosive.

We'll see how his health holds up and longevity, right now, back the bus out of the garage and get it warmed up!

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Legend
    No, no, no... Bettis did it in a different era and without a franchise QB

How about this...who gets more production?

Bettis behind Beachum, Foster, Velasco, Decastro, Gilbert

or

Bell behind Marvel, Faneca, Hartings, Simmons, Starks

Hall of Famer
    I think the fact that there is some pause for thought, shows that Bettis really shouldn't be a HOF. I mean, he was good don't get me wrong. But he was never "the best". How can you be considered HOF, when you were never considered the best of the best at your position, not even for a season?

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Well, we really know that Bettis didn't get his 100 on 15-20 rushes, if that were the case his YPC would have been 5.0 plus and it was 3.9. But, hyperbole aside, I'll take Bettis all day as it stands now. If Bell stays healthy next year, I believe he'll get his 1300 yards rushing and throw in 350 receiving yards. After that, the sky may be the limit for the kid, but he has to stay healthy. He gained a lot yards after contact this year (especially late in the season), it seemed like he rarely, if ever, went backward, he seemed to fall forward all the time and he's explosive.

We'll see how his health holds up and longevity, right now, back the bus out of the garage and get it warmed up!

Pappy
    Bettis had 43 100+ yard games with the Steelers... and 11 more with the Rams. It isnt hyperbole when you consider I said "most games" which implies a RB doesnt get 15 to 20 touches every game. Thats the funny thing about averages and stats. YPC doesnt mean every touch or game is actually 3.9 per carry.