Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Adams or gilbert trade value

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I agree with you. I'm curious about Munchak's ability to coach up...specifically Adams.
    Gilbert needs a boat load of coaching too.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    Gilbert needs a boat load of coaching too.
    I agree. But, the reason I mention Adams is because IMO he has a much higher ceiling.

Pro Bowler
    If we keep Brown we have to pay him 6+ million.
    WHEN we cut him we owe him nothing.
    He could then be resigned.

Starter
    Thanks for the info on Brown guys.. Hopefully they will cut him and then be able to sign him back to a reduced contract. He was a franchise pick when he came out. Would like to see what Munchak could do with this guy as well

Hall of Famer

I would trade either in a heartbeat

I think you all are overestimating the effect a former great OL like Munchak can bring, unless there is something to be said for him as a coach (specifically). IOW, does he communicate well? I'm sure he has the knowledge... but just because a guy was a great player, it doesn't say much to me about his ability to coach.

In the case of Adams and Gilbert, to borrow a Denny Greenism: they are who we thought they were. Gilbert is a "chardonnay drinker", and Mike Adams lacks mental toughness and has bust written all over him. I would gladly trade either, for the chance to move up in the draft (for a player I had targeted).

I was always impressed with Russ Grimm's ability to teach and put together excellent offensive lines. I am hoping Munchak can be do the same. Shoe you are correct....Adams is soft and his "softness" was concerning prior to being drafted. Physical talent may be there, but I haven't seen the quickness necessary to handle pass rushers. If Munchak can develop Adams into competent tackle he will be considered "miracle worker"!

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I think you all are overestimating the effect a former great OL like Munchak can bring, unless there is something to be said for him as a coach (specifically). IOW, does he communicate well? I'm sure he has the knowledge... but just because a guy was a great player, it doesn't say much to me about his ability to coach ...
    I think that most here are more keyed into the things Munchak has accomplished as an OL Coach, with the HOF former great OL stuff as icing on the cake. As a coach, I think all of the below can be said about him, and speak to his expertise in developing OL; Specifically:

1. During Munchak's 14 years as OL coach in Houston/TN four of his offensive linemen totaled 10 Pro Bowl invitations and led the way for five different running backs to total an NFL-high 12 1,000-yard rushing seasons.

2. The Titans ranked seventh in the league in rushing yards (124.5 yards per game) and finished in the top 10 in rushing seven times from 1997-2010. From 1997-2013, the Titans are the only team to produce 16 1,000-yard rushers.

3. In 2009, Munchak’s offensive line group helped pave the way for a 2,000-yard rushing season by Chris Johnson.

4. In Munchak’s 14 seasons as offensive line coach, only twice did the team start the same five linemen from one season to the next.

5. The Titans allowed the second-fewest sacks (28.3 per season) in the NFL from 1997-2010.

http://www.steelers.com/team/coaches...2-b29c8328a4a1

I'd say he had to be able to communicate and pass on his knowledge very well in order to achieve these milestones as a coach. Here's hoping he can continue that with our OL

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I think you all are overestimating the effect a former great OL like Munchak can bring, unless there is something to be said for him as a coach (specifically). IOW, does he communicate well? I'm sure he has the knowledge... but just because a guy was a great player, it doesn't say much to me about his ability to coach.

In the case of Adams and Gilbert, to borrow a Denny Greenism: they are who we thought they were. Gilbert is a "chardonnay drinker", and Mike Adams lacks mental toughness and has bust written all over him. I would gladly trade either, for the chance to move up in the draft (for a player I had targeted).
    I hear ya...trust me I do. As much as I despised the Adams pick...there is a part of me that says...well maybe. Maybe Munchak has what it takes to finally bring out the best in Adams. No other coach could do it. And before we send a second rounder packing I am at least curious as to whether Munchak can coach him up. I agree about Gilbert. He just lacks a mean streak needed to play the position. I actually agree with the mental toughness of Adams...but who knows.