Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aaron Donald, Pitt

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Aaron Donald, Pitt

I have a bit of a unique spin on Aaron Donald. (not a pitt panther fan either)

Aaron Donald, DE/DT/OLB Pittsburgh

Aaron Donald has been a hot topic as of late drawing comparisons to Geno Atkins as an undersized DT that shows a very unique pass rushing ability from the interior. He is a disruptive player that shows an excellent motor and perfect, absolutely perfect use of hands.

In my opinion he has absolutely no business as a DE in a 34, would be a completely useless waste of his best talent. At 6-0 and ~285 pounds hes short and stocky, when you want DEs to be long and be able to stack up blockers. I have watched a lot of him over the last week and I would like to say that moving him to OLB would not be a waste, he would be a highly unique player at the position, but the outcome of moving him there makes me see an unblockable rusher. His use of hands and explosion would be a nightmare for tackles to deal with, he does have the ability to bend around the corner and with him being short (Like james harrison) he is tough to really land a hand on, mostly because he can get under tall OTs and out leverage them. And while harrison was a freakishly strong 240, Donald would encompass all of his best skill sets while being a bit bigger and showing relentless pursuit. Really I think he'll end up finding a home in a 43 as a UT, he may be an all pro but his floor is a situational interior pass rusher.

I think switching him to OLB, maybe having him shave off 10-15 pounds would be a terror of an edge rusher. I would think of guys like adalius thomas who found a home on the outside even though by standard size he was a behemoth OLB.

Based on his frame I dont think he'd be the same player if he put on 20 pounds to be a dlinemen in the NFL, but I do think he would be an even better one if he dropped a few and moved to the outside.

Outland Trophy (Outstanding Interior Linman)
    Vince Lombardi Award (Outstanding Lineman/Linebacker)
    Chuck Bednarik Award (Defensive Player of the Year)
    Bronco Nagurski Trophy (Defensive Player of the Year)

Highlight arent the best way to evaluate a player, but watch the use of his hands and how he positions his body, its borderline brilliant

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45O_bC8SKtE[/url]

Career 64 tackles for loss and 31.5 sacks.

Legend

User Info Menu

I was thinking more along the lines of thinking outside the box and looking at him as a Levon Kirkland Inside Linebacker. He seems to have excellent quickness and athleticism. We would have a "run stuffer" like none other and a powerful inside blitzer. Thoughts?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Could see that too. Imo he could play all 4 LB positions but also play on the inside or outside as a 3rd down rusher with his hand on the ground. Very interesting player. Some guys can just play, hes one of them

Legend

User Info Menu

Donald will be a 3-technique DT in the NFL.

If we want a versatile LB in round 2, go after someone like BYU's Kyle Van Noy instead.

A Nix/Van Noy draft could be a latter day Hampton/Bell haul in the first two rounds.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    .....I have watched a lot of him over the last week and I would like to say that moving him to OLB would not be a waste, he would be a highly unique player at the position, but the outcome of moving him there makes me see an unblockable rusher. His use of hands and explosion would be a nightmare for tackles to deal with, he does have the ability to bend around the corner and with him being short (Like james harrison) he is tough to really land a hand on, mostly because he can get under tall OTs and out leverage them. And while harrison was a freakishly strong 240, Donald would encompass all of his best skill sets while being a bit bigger and showing relentless pursuit. Really I think he'll end up finding a home in a 43 as a UT, he may be an all pro but his floor is a situational interior pass rusher.

I think switching him to OLB, maybe having him shave off 10-15 pounds would be a terror of an edge rusher. I would think of guys like adalius thomas who found a home on the outside even though by standard size he was a behemoth OLB.

Nothing personal, but you obvious didn't see enough of him this past week. This would be a huge mistake. Asking a player to stand up outside the tackle, rush off the edge, hold contain, read and react, drop in zone coverage, is completely different than anything he has ever done while playing inside as a 4-3 DT. Why would anyone ever risk a first round pick as high as number 15 on what would be the ultimate project? I personally do not think he would be as hard to block out at LB in a 3-4 than he is currently inside in a 4-3. He would need to be able to not only get around the corner with cat-like quickness, but also be able to dip inside and beat a double team, and I have never seen anything in him (speed wise), that would tell me he could do this in the NFL. He is quick for being inside at DT but it is another world when you are asked to do it off the edge.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Nothing personal, but you obvious didn't see enough of him this past week. This would be a huge mistake. Asking a player to stand up outside the tackle, rush off the edge, hold contain, read and react, drop in zone coverage, is completely different than anything he has ever done while playing inside as a 4-3 DT. Why would anyone ever risk a first round pick as high as number 15 on what would be the ultimate project? I personally do not think he would be as hard to block out at LB in a 3-4 than he is currently inside in a 4-3. He would need to be able to not only get around the corner with cat-like quickness, but also be able to dip inside and beat a double team, and I have never seen anything in him (speed wise), that would tell me he could do this in the NFL. He is quick for being inside at DT but it is another world when you are asked to do it off the edge.
    I've seen plenty, sometimes people have a real issue with slinging ideas around, but i said he will very much likely find a home in a 43 as an UT. Whether he will be able to live up to the geno atkins comparison hype will remain to be seen. But also, i said sometimes a guy can just play and is worth a roster spot because you find a way to use him.

James Harrison was the anti prototype OLB, and while woodley was a decent DE/OLB convert process he had to do some new things too. I never said 15, but if hes there in the second round I would definitely consider it even though hes a terrible fit on paper for DE in our defense. He wouldnt be any worse than evander hood at the very least.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post

If we want a versatile LB in round 2, go after someone like BYU's Kyle Van Noy instead.

A Nix/Van Noy draft could be a latter day Hampton/Bell haul in the first two rounds.
    Not sure I would hold up Kendral Bell as a example of an excellent second half of the draft. Sort of like saying Timmons/Woodley, looks good early but with time looks bad.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Not sure I would hold up Kendral Bell as a example of an excellent second half of the draft. Sort of like saying Timmons/Woodley, looks good early but with time looks bad.
    More like zo jackson in the second, or ricardo coclough, and trai essex....oh wait

I do like Van Noy a lot though, I was just spit balling ideas with donald.

Mack at 15 would be excellent as well. Im not sure about Jarvis Jones as a rush backer, he might face the timmons fate of kicking inside, which is something I could live with. I think he'll end up a special player, but the pass rush needs to be addressed still

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post

I agree that he'll be a 3 technique 43 DT. Besides, isn't proper forum protocol to wait until somebody is on the team before suggesting a position switch.

I like Van Noy and think that a Nix/Van Noy draft could go a long way to helping the D. I'm not 100% sold on Nix yet but I wouldn't complain if he was the pick.

Legend

User Info Menu

he is a beast and a team who runs a 4-3 will see an immediate impact