Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RB coach makes lateral move?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

RB coach makes lateral move?

[url]http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/01/25/Kirby-Wilson-to-leave-Steelers-staff-to-join-Vikings/stories/201401250139[/url]

Obviously, if he landed an OC gig, it makes sense to leave. But Balt. turned him down as OC and now he want to Minn. as RB coach, which, if I am not mistaken, is a lateral move? Why would he leave Pgh to take the same job on a worse team? (I know Minn. beat us last year, but we ended up the better team my season's end.)

Why make this move?

Do you think Munchak was given the higher coach gig (like assist. head coach) that Kirby thought he should get? Something must be going on, as this move makes no sense on face value.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    [URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/01/25/Kirby-Wilson-to-leave-Steelers-staff-to-join-Vikings/stories/201401250139[/URL]

Obviously, if he landed an OC gig, it makes sense to leave. But Balt. turned him down as OC and now he want to Minn. as RB coach, which, if I am not mistaken, is a lateral move? Why would he leave Pgh to take the same job on a worse team? (I know Minn. beat us last year, but we ended up the better team my season's end.)

Why make this move?

Do you think Munchak was given the higher coach gig (like assist. head coach) that Kirby thought he should get? Something must be going on, as this move makes no sense on face value.
    Kirby now gets to coach the legendary AP. Bell is good and might even make a Pro-Bowl someday. AP is a legend. I can see why a coach that wants to move up in this league might hitch his wagon to that ride.

Legend

User Info Menu

This is clearly a case of Wilson not getting along with Haley and believing he can get further with the Vikings than he can with the Steelers.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with AP. What the hell can he teach AP at this point in his career? It's like wanting to be Peyton Manning's QB coach... who will give you props for teaching AP or Peyton in the latter part of their career?

I bet he looked at the OL talent on our team vs the Vikes and realized he can finally teach a few RB's how to run through holes.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Wilson wants an opporunity to be an OC & that won't come with the Steelers. Haley was given the job over him & by all accounts things are finally clicking. Wilson has no room for growth here & I wish him luck.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Wilson wants an opporunity to be an OC & that won't come with the Steelers. Haley was given the job over him & by all accounts things are finally clicking. Wilson has no room for growth here & I wish him luck.
    Yup. He was thought to be the heir apparent, but the fire changed things. He wasn't going to get the opportunity here and wanted to move on. There may be something to him not getting along with Haley - Dulac mentioned it and Charlie Batch hinted at the same thing, but ultimately, I think Wilson wanted a new opportunity.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post

Yep. He probably sees himself blocked with the success the offense had at the end of the season and he is going somewhere where he can maybe get or be better networked to interview to be an OC.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Yep. He probably sees himself blocked with the success the offense had at the end of the season and he is going somewhere where he can maybe get or be better networked to interview to be an OC.
    From a few interviews I read, the Steelers basically told Wilson that he wasn't going to be OC in Pittsburgh any time soon, and that's what Wilson wants. I don't think it has ANYTHING to do with Wilson's ability, I think it has more to do with the arrow pointing up with Haley and the offense.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

According to these folk, Wilson hated Haley.

Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - Gerry Dulac

Minnesota Vikings running backs coach Kirby Wilson was looking to leave the Pittsburgh Steelers because he wants to become an offensive coordinator and did not see that happening with the Steelers. Wilson also did not always get along with offensive coordinator Todd Haley.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

Great, just what the Steelers needed. They lose a quality coach because of Haley. He's one of the more disliked coaches around the league, but Haley seems entrenched with the Steelers for the near future.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yes. Haley must be really despised. He has been the Off Coord for two organizations and had one of only 32 jobs in the world as head coach of an NFL team. Sure sounds to me like the NFL can't stand this guy and wants to do everything they can to get him out of the NFL (sarcasm in vast quantities).

I seem to remember all this nonsense about how another Steelers Off Coord was despised and now I think he is HEAD COACH of another NFL team.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Yes. Haley must be really despised. He has been the Off Coord for two organizations and had one of only 32 jobs in the world as head coach of an NFL team. Sure sounds to me like the NFL can't stand this guy and wants to do everything they can to get him out of the NFL (sarcasm in vast quantities).

I seem to remember all this nonsense about how another Steelers Off Coord was despised and now I think he is HEAD COACH of another NFL team.
    BA was despised by the fans...

Haley is rumored to be despised by players and coaches...

Now, I like what Haley is doing so I have no issue with him but let's not act like he doesn't have a rep for being an azzz.