Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dulac On Assistant Coaches

Legend

User Info Menu

Dulac On Assistant Coaches

Interesting read. Hard not to be excited about Munchak.

[URL="http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers-steelers-blog/2014/01/27/Steelers-could-lose-another-assistant-coach.html"]Steelers could lose another assistant coach; Wilson wanted out[/URL]

By Gerry Dulac 18 minutes ago
    The Steelers might not be done losing assistant coaches.
    Defensive assistant Jerry Olsavsky, who played nine seasons for the Steelers, will interview with the Buffalo Bills to be their linebackers coach.
    Olsavksy has been a defensive assistant for four seasons with the Steelers and is looking to become a full-time position coach.
    Kirby Wilson was not being forced out as the Steelers running backs coach, even though it might appear that way after he made a lateral move to join the Minnesota Vikings.
    Wilson was seeking to leave of his own volition and was given permission right after the season from Coach Mike Tomlin to talk with other NFL teams.
    There are several explanations for Wilson’s departure, but the struggles of the running game for most of the season do not appear to be a factor.
    Rather, Wilson wanted to move on for several reasons, chief among them being that he wanted to be an offensive coordinator and he didn’t see that happening with the Steelers. Also, several sources said Wilson did not always get along with offensive coordinator Todd Haley.
    Wilson becomes the third offensive coach in the past two years to leave the Steelers for a job that might not appear to be an upward move. Offensive line coach Sean Kugler left to become head coach at his alma mater, Texas-El Paso, which was 2-10 this season. And wide receiver coach Scotty Montgomery left to become offensive coordinator at Duke, his alma mater.
    Xxxxxxx
    While the rest of the coaching staff isn’t scheduled to return to the office until the day after the Super Bowl, new offensive line coach Mike Munchak is already at the team’s South Side facility getting familiar with the offensive playbook and terminology.
    Munchak’s hiring appears to have everyone excited, even other members of the coaching staff who have made a point to stop in and meet their new assistant.
    One player who is glad to see Munchak: Center Fernando Velasco, who played for him with the Titans, even though it was Munchak who had to release Velasco for salary cap reasons before the 2013 season.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm excited about Munchak and no way do I fear or see change as a bad thing. I think it can revitalize and stimulate positive change. Something that IMO is needed on the defensive side of the ball. Look at the positives we saw after Carnell Lake came in to take over DBs. However many refuse to think change would be beneficial for the the Def Coord, D Line Coach, LB coach, etc.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

doesnt sound like kirby wanted to be here and it doesnt sound like they wanted him to stay too badly. good move for both parties.
    i am excited about the munchak hire
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I'm excited about Munchak and no way do I fear or see change as a bad thing. I think it can revitalize and stimulate positive change. Something that IMO is needed on the defensive side of the ball. Look at the positives we saw after Carnell Lake came in to take over DBs. However many refuse to think change would be beneficial for the the Def Coord, D Line Coach, LB coach, etc.
    No Ovi some fans would like more D coach change. But most understand it will not change no matter how much fans beat a dead horse. DL is here till he falls ill I figure. Which I am fine with. Keep beating that drum Ovi! Someday you will get your wish. Just might be awhile.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    No Ovi some fans would like more D coach change. But most understand it will not change no matter how much fans beat a dead horse. DL is here till he falls ill I figure. Which I am fine with. Keep beating that drum Ovi! Someday you will get your wish. Just might be awhile.
    Someday I will get what I want and so many will see that change is not bad and could actually be an improvement. There are lots of very good young defensive coaches out there who are being successful in the NFL. Dan Quinn from the Seahawks is 43 years old and doesn't seem to have any problems finding talent, getting them playing in their first or second year and having the #1 in the NFL.

This is obviously a discussion topic of extremes where the love of one coach overrides all else on one side of the argument and the desire for change is on the other. No real common ground so time will play this one out.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not sure I buy that Kugler and Montgomery left for jobs that were not upright moves. Yes, I get they left the NFL for college but both took large steps up in job responsibility. Experience they can use later to get back if they want. And you can never account for a guy wanting to go back and coach at his Alma Mater. There's no way to know how much of a pull that might be. Neither departure hurt the Steelers and now we've got a Hall Of Fame lineman as the lineman coach. As for Wilson; he was always portrayed as a nice guy but there were some odd decisions the last couple of seasons at RB. Wish him well, but this won't hurt the Steelers in the least, especially with the emergence of Bell.

A couple of mediocre, non-playoff seasons and you're going to have some turnover. Much ado about nothing.

Legend

User Info Menu

Someday I will get what I want and so many will see that change is not bad and could actually be an improvement. There are lots of very good young defensive coaches out there who are being successful in the NFL. Dan Quinn from the Seahawks is 43 years old and doesn't seem to have any problems finding talent, getting them playing in their first or second year and having the #1 in the NFL.

This is obviously a discussion topic of extremes where the love of one coach overrides all else on one side of the argument and the desire for change is on the other. No real common ground so time will play this one out.

wait until they have to pay sherman, wilson and a few more up and comers and lets see if quinn can have a top 5 offense, 80% of the time, over a decade
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Well Ovi you will have to wait till all of DL's players are gone also. Because even with a change you will have the argument that the D is good because of the players not the scheme or coach. Good luck sir. Keep beating that drum. It keeps it interesting around here.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    Well Ovi you will have to wait till all of DL's players are gone also. Because even with a change you will have the argument that the D is good because of the players not the scheme or coach. Good luck sir. Keep beating that drum. It keeps it interesting around here.
    I aim to please or displease whatever your preference

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    wait until they have to pay sherman, wilson and a few more up and comers and lets see if quinn can have a top 5 offense, 80% of the time, over a decade
    They will lose a few players but they will replace them with young talent and it wont take years to learn the system.

This isnt a team filled with first rounders on D. They have a bunch of cast offs and will continue using FA to fill holes. Its something we need to start doing in this new NFL.