Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dulac On Assistant Coaches

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    wait until they have to pay sherman, wilson and a few more up and comers and lets see if quinn can have a top 5 offense, 80% of the time, over a decade
    I mentioned this in another thread the Seahawks and 49ers have not had to get a franchise quarterback under contract (both Kaepernick and wilson will in all likelihood be 100 million dollar quarterbacks) and try to keep a young team together. We'll see how they do in a few short years, but for now they're the talk of the town and the reason Lebeau should be pushed out.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I mentioned this in another thread the Seahawks and 49ers have not had to get a franchise quarterback under contract (both Kaepernick and wilson will in all likelihood be 100 million dollar quarterbacks) and try to keep a young team together. We'll see how they do in a few short years, but for now they're the talk of the town and the reason Lebeau should be pushed out.

Pappy
    That's an excellent point, Pappy. It's very difficult to maintain a strong roster when you need to pay a franchise QB. The Ravens are facing some tough decisions this year, and it will be harder next year. The Broncos were fortunate that Decker, D. Thomas and J. Thomas were all on their rookie deals.

It's hard to put together a consistently strong team the way the Steelers did from 2004-2011.

Legend

User Info Menu

The Texans were the other team looking at Munchak. Looking at the guy they ended up with, the Steelers clearly came away with the better of that deal:

Report: Texans hire Paul Dunn as offensive line coach

Posted by Mike Wilkening on January 28, 2014, 12:16 AM EST
    Getty Images
    The Texans have added a coach with nearly three decades of experience working with offensive linemen to their staff.
    According to Alex Marvez of FoxSports.com, the Texans
    [URL="https://twitter.com/alexmarvez/status/427996745243439105"]have hired[/URL] former Falcons offensive line coach Paul Dunn to the same position on Bill O’Brien’s coaching staff.
    The 53-year-old Dunn was the Falcons’ offensive line coach the last two seasons (2012-2013) after a four-year stint as Atlanta’s assistant offensive line coach. Before joining the Falcons, Dunn had stints as a collegiate offensive line coach at Pittsburgh, Kentucky, Kansas State, Vanderbilt, Cincinnati, Maine, Rutgers and Edinboro (Pa.).
    Marvez also reports that John Benton, the Texans’ offensive line coach from 2006-2013, has taken a job as the Dolphins’ assistant offensive line coach.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Someday I will get what I want and so many will see that change is not bad and could actually be an improvement. There are lots of very good young defensive coaches out there who are being successful in the NFL. Dan Quinn from the Seahawks is 43 years old and doesn't seem to have any problems finding talent, getting them playing in their first or second year and having the #1 in the NFL.

This is obviously a discussion topic of extremes where the love of one coach overrides all else on one side of the argument and the desire for change is on the other. No real common ground so time will play this one out.
    You might be right Ovi but I still remember the days of Tim Lewis and Jim Haslett. They were young up and comers at the time but failed as our DC. Just because you are young does not mean you are good.

What first year talent has Dan Quinn developed? Aaron Curry? He didn't work out that well. How about Cam Chancellor? Nope, he didn't start a game his first year under Quinn. Bruce Irvin? Again he didn't start a game his first year although he did play as a situational pass rusher much like Woodley did for us. So it looks like the only 1st year player that started for Quinn is Earl Thomas. Not that impressive considering who they previously had at the position. I guess I still don't see how these guys are so different from DL. Maybe you can explain it to me.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Someday I will get what I want and so many will see that change is not bad and could actually be an improvement. There are lots of very good young defensive coaches out there who are being successful in the NFL. Dan Quinn from the Seahawks is 43 years old and doesn't seem to have any problems finding talent, getting them playing in their first or second year and having the #1 in the NFL.

This is obviously a discussion topic of extremes where the love of one coach overrides all else on one side of the argument and the desire for change is on the other. No real common ground so time will play this one out.
    No. I just fundamentally 110% disagree with you. Why hire another coach to coach the defense when you already have the best DC in the country running the defense? I'll take DL over the dude in Seattle any day of the week.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Change is necessary at this point. Heck, other than Jarvis Jones, we really have the players and opportunity to switch to a 4-3 as you often call for.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    You might be right Ovi but I still remember the days of Tim Lewis and Jim Haslett. They were young up and comers at the time but failed as our DC. Just because you are young does not mean you are good.

What first year talent has Dan Quinn developed? Aaron Curry? He didn't work out that well. How about Cam Chancellor? Nope, he didn't start a game his first year under Quinn. Bruce Irvin? Again he didn't start a game his first year although he did play as a situational pass rusher much like Woodley did for us. So it looks like the only 1st year player that started for Quinn is Earl Thomas. Not that impressive considering who they previously had at the position. I guess I still don't see how these guys are so different from DL. Maybe you can explain it to me.
    Haslett failed? Didn't he get a HC job as a result of his time in Pittsburgh?

The issue for me with Lebeau, is that we have quality in-house, waiting in the wings. Butler is highly regarded, enough so that most think he is DL's heir apparent. Why waste prime (coaching) years of our heir apparent, letting a past-his-prime DL continue to sit in the head chair (unless you think he's not past his prime, in which case you are being irrational). We also have Carnell Lake, the golden child of the board here. If he has good as stated, should we continue to let him also sit and rot on the vine? Or how about Jerry Olsavsky, who's already taking feelers from other teams.

Lebeau is SEVENTY-SIX YEARS OLD. 76! To dismiss the thought of replacing him is terribly short-sighted. Should we ignore the signs (of a slipping defense) until he's... 80? Why should a guy that old, get a free pass? It isn't like the difference between a 36 year old and a 40 year old. At 76, you are highly subject to the laws of nature.

Let's get off our politically correct horse, and talk real.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Haslett failed? Didn't he get a HC job as a result of his time in Pittsburgh?

The issue for me with Lebeau, is that we have quality in-house, waiting in the wings. Butler is highly regarded, enough so that most think he is DL's heir apparent. Why waste prime (coaching) years of our heir apparent, letting a past-his-prime DL continue to sit in the head chair (unless you think he's not past his prime, in which case you are being irrational). We also have Carnell Lake, the golden child of the board here. If he has good as stated, should we continue to let him also sit and rot on the vine? Or how about Jerry Olsavsky, who's already taking feelers from other teams.

Lebeau is SEVENTY-SIX YEARS OLD. 76! To dismiss the thought of replacing him is terribly short-sighted. Should we ignore the signs (of a slipping defense) until he's... 80? Why should a guy that old, get a free pass? It isn't like the difference between a 36 year old and a 40 year old. At 76, you are highly subject to the laws of nature.

Let's get off our politically correct horse, and talk real.

so whats the age scale then for each coach position?

HC- seeing that they have to run the entire team, they should be released the earliest. so lets say 50
    DC- should be gone at 40
    OC- 40 also
    any position coach should be let go at 35
    assistants to position coaches 30

i know a few guys that start losing it at 50, so thats the cut off for HC.
    DC and OC need to be fired once they hit 40. reason being is that you want your head coach to stick around a while(10 years minimum). so if youre going to promote a OC or DC to HC, you have to do it by the time they are 40.
    all the other coaches fall into a similar scenario. they must promote or be fired by the designated age or else they wont have time to be a fully functioning(mentally) coach at the upper levels. teams need to utilize these coaches before they reach their expiration date.
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    so whats the age scale then for each coach position?

HC- seeing that they have to run the entire team, they should be released the earliest. so lets say 50
    DC- should be gone at 40
    OC- 40 also
    any position coach should be let go at 35
    assistants to position coaches 30

i know a few guys that start losing it at 50, so thats the cut off for HC.
    DC and OC need to be fired once they hit 40. reason being is that you want your head coach to stick around a while(10 years minimum). so if youre going to promote a OC or DC to HC, you have to do it by the time they are 40.
    all the other coaches fall into a similar scenario. they must promote or be fired by the designated age or else they wont have time to be a fully functioning(mentally) coach at the upper levels. teams need to utilize these coaches before they reach their expiration date.
    I know you didn't mean to but your sensational rant prove Shoe's point...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I know you didn't mean to but your sensational rant prove Shoe's point...

what point is that?
    at a certain age, regardless of production, people should be fired?
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown