Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    There are no rules...

wow.
    you say it doesnt count becausae its an nfcc game
    because it a rival
    because of age for a DC but not any other coach
    want stability for a HC but not a DC
    only want a DC for 3-5 years regardless if he is the best in the league.
    sounds like you have lots of rules
    1) CB D Dennard
    2) OLB R Shazier
    3) DE J Ellis
    4) WR M Bryant
    5a) OG D Yankey
    5b) OLB J Tripp
    6a) RB D Archer
    6b) NT D McCullers
    7) WR J Janis

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    wow.
    you say it doesnt count becausae its an nfcc game
    because it a rival
    because of age for a DC but not any other coach
    want stability for a HC but not a DC
    only want a DC for 3-5 years regardless if he is the best in the league.
    sounds like you have lots of rules
    The problem is you keep calling them rules.... my opinion on DL doesnt have to cover the rest of the NFL.

There is one coach in the NFL who is 76... his D is slipping and we are rebuilding. What I want for the Steelers only applies to DL. Point blank period.

Just because I want DL to move on doesn't mean the formula has to be applied across the board using imaginary expiration dates.

The next DC... emphasis on NEXT, should definitely move on after 5 years if he is successful. Great OC's and DC's who are younger always ger HC offers. Its foolish to think a successful DC who is on the rise will stay for a decade. DL left for a HC gig, Haslett left for a HC gig, Capers left for a DC gig.

When your DC isnt 75 and is succesful they leave for HC gigs.

Come to think of it, I misspoke.... I definitely have one rule. Any coach who is 76 and sees a dip in prosuction will be on my please retire list.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    okay, here's the million dollar question whenever the talk of getting rid of tomlin comes up....................who do you want to bring in to replace DL?.
    who is the sure fire young gun to outperform DL's historically top 5 defense(except last year) for the next decade?
    i need names

• Butler? (who's been supposedly groomed for the role for years)
    • Jerry Olsavsky (a former Steeler, and a guy who's been on our staff for a few years now)
    • Lake (who everyone here wants to give endless kudos to. I like him, don't get me wrong)
    • Tomlin is a defensive guy, I'm sure he has contacts from his coaching tree of others he likes.

That is enough of a list, of hot prospects to choose from IMO. If you don't think they're ready, then what the he11 has each of them been doing on our staff all this time? And again, I make the point... these guys have goals and ambitions too. What if one of those guys is someone we think will be a GREAT coordinator, and someone like Cleveland offers them a gig. Then we just lost our future DC, because we held on to Lebeau too long and didn't want to hurt feelings or whatever.

Bear in mind, I have a lot of respect for Lebeau. And I know it is a touchy situation. You don't just kick a HOF talent and person like DL to the curb as unceremoniously as I've been talking. But I'm just on an internet forum, so I can be more direct. He should be treated with utmost respect, but he shouldn't be treated like a king (who has his "job" for life).

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    • Butler? (who's been supposedly groomed for the role for years) Will more than likely do the exact same thing as DL
    • Jerry Olsavsky (a former Steeler, and a guy who's been on our staff for a few years now) a nobody. you wouldnt even mention him except hes a former steeler
    • Lake (who everyone here wants to give endless kudos to. I like him, don't get me wrong) 2 years experience. year 1 looked good, year 2 nadda. once again only cause hes a steeler
    • Tomlin is a defensive guy, I'm sure he has contacts from his coaching tree of others he likes. the coaches that tomlin worked with and brought in have sucked, players too

That is enough of a list, of hot prospects to choose from IMO. If you don't think they're ready, then what the he11 has each of them been doing on our staff all this time? And again, I make the point... these guys have goals and ambitions too. What if one of those guys is someone we think will be a GREAT coordinator, and someone like Cleveland offers them a gig. Then we just lost our future DC, because we held on to Lebeau too long and didn't want to hurt feelings or whatever.

Bear in mind, I have a lot of respect for Lebeau. And I know it is a touchy situation. You don't just kick a HOF talent and person like DL to the curb as unceremoniously as I've been talking. But I'm just on an internet forum, so I can be more direct. He should be treated with utmost respect, but he shouldn't be treated like a king (who has his "job" for life).
    one average year in 10 and you want to run him out.
    fine, take tomlin and his continuing downward spiral with him, and im all aboard
    1) CB D Dennard
    2) OLB R Shazier
    3) DE J Ellis
    4) WR M Bryant
    5a) OG D Yankey
    5b) OLB J Tripp
    6a) RB D Archer
    6b) NT D McCullers
    7) WR J Janis