Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 25 of 25

Thread: Steelers’ linebackers Woodley, Timmons heading in opposite directions

  1. #21
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,491
    Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    JPN I agree with you that Worilds had no shot at being the starter based on the guys ahead of him.
    He shoulda been able to stay healthy though considering his limited reps. and he couldn't


    Like I said...What are all of you basing that on ? I haven't missed a game since I was a kid so there are no smoke & mirrors. Worilds only missed 7 games out of 64. That is it...7. Played in more games than Woodley & Harrison when all 3 were on the roster. He missed 4 games in '11 because of his wrist injury but returned to finish the last 8 games of the season. Worilds had off season surgery to repair his injury & came back to play all 16 games of '12. Btw...18 sacks with only 21 starts is a pretty Dam good number to start with.


    I said this 2 weeks ago in the "Worilds: What I don't understand" tread. But....Don't take my word for it. That was one question in Ray Fittipaldo's Steeler chat yesterday...See below.


    Wild Bill: How many games has Worilds missed due to injury since he came to camp? His wrist set him back and it seems he had a lot of other injuries when he was needed to perform. Is he worth a Woodley like contract when he isn't very dependable either?
    Ray Fittipaldo: Worilds did not play much as a rookie, only 43 snaps. He was active for all but two games and I'm not sure either was due to injury. He missed four games the following season when he had the wrist injury that held him back. He played in all 16 games last season. So he missed six games in three seasons and two of them (I don't think) were because of injury. Compare that to Woodley, who has missed significantly more time because of injuries, and I think it's safe to say Worilds is the safer bet from a health history standpoint.


    Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...#ixzz2riqkiqlp



  2. #22
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,366
    Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    JPN I agree with you that Worilds had no shot at being the starter based on the guys ahead of him.
    He shoulda been able to stay healthy though considering his limited reps. and he couldn't
    It's football..

    guys get injured in camp and practice all the time.

  3. #23
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,673
    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post


    Like I said...What are all of you basing that on ? I haven't missed a game since I was a kid so there are no smoke & mirrors. Worilds only missed 7 games out of 64. That is it...7. Played in more games than Woodley & Harrison when all 3 were on the roster. He missed 4 games in '11 because of his wrist injury but returned to finish the last 8 games of the season. Worilds had off season surgery to repair his injury & came back to play all 16 games of '12. Btw...18 sacks with only 21 starts is a pretty Dam good number to start with.


    I said this 2 weeks ago in the "Worilds: What I don't understand" tread. But....Don't take my word for it. That was one question in Ray Fittipaldo's Steeler chat yesterday...See below.


    Wild Bill: How many games has Worilds missed due to injury since he came to camp? His wrist set him back and it seems he had a lot of other injuries when he was needed to perform. Is he worth a Woodley like contract when he isn't very dependable either?
    Ray Fittipaldo: Worilds did not play much as a rookie, only 43 snaps. He was active for all but two games and I'm not sure either was due to injury. He missed four games the following season when he had the wrist injury that held him back. He played in all 16 games last season. So he missed six games in three seasons and two of them (I don't think) were because of injury. Compare that to Woodley, who has missed significantly more time because of injuries, and I think it's safe to say Worilds is the safer bet from a health history standpoint.


    Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...#ixzz2riqkiqlp
    I do remember his wrist problem... I checked his bio, because I know it wasn't just that. And curiously, he is listed as missing about a month due to a quad injury in '11? I'm assuming that was a mistake (they meant wrist)?

    He was inactive for a game in '10, for his shoulder. And later on that year, he left a game for his knee and was inactive the week after.

    This year, he was inactive for the last game of the season (I don't know the reason).

    That is four different injuries, that he's been deemed inactive for. It sort of makes you think he's soft ("any little thing keeps him out"). But in any case, that is a lot of time missing/leaving games, if you ask me. You say 7/64 is not bad, but as a backup, he's not on the field as much as a starter... he shouldn't get hurt as much.

    One more very puzzling thing to consider, is that Cris "All he does is catch touchdowns" Carter, beat him out for the '12 starting job. Cris Carter. Then to follow that up, he was beaten out (or at least, failed to distinguish himself) against a rookie (Jarvis Jones). Don't tell me about switching sides... he couldn't beat out CRIS CARTER, nor could he beat out a wet-behind-the-ears rookie. What does that say?

  4. #24
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I do remember his wrist problem... I checked his bio, because I know it wasn't just that. And curiously, he is listed as missing about a month due to a quad injury in '11? I'm assuming that was a mistake (they meant wrist)?

    He was inactive for a game in '10, for his shoulder. And later on that year, he left a game for his knee and was inactive the week after.

    This year, he was inactive for the last game of the season (I don't know the reason).

    That is four different injuries, that he's been deemed inactive for. It sort of makes you think he's soft ("any little thing keeps him out"). But in any case, that is a lot of time missing/leaving games, if you ask me. You say 7/64 is not bad, but as a backup, he's not on the field as much as a starter... he shouldn't get hurt as much.

    One more very puzzling thing to consider, is that Chris "All he does is catch touchdowns" Carter, beat him out for the '12 starting job. Cris Carter. Then to follow that up, he was beaten out (or at least, failed to distinguish himself) against a rookie (Jarvis Jones). Don't tell me about switching sides... he couldn't beat out CRIS CARTER, nor could he beat out a wet-behind-the-ears rookie. What does that say?

    We could go round & round about this. Thankfully for us...the FO will tell us how they feel if the try & retian Worilds.

    7/64 isn't bad or "injury prone". It is obvious a back-up is on the field less than a starter but it is also obvious a back-up plays ST. The numbers game for actives on game day will take a helmet from a dinged back-up if the "minor" injury will keep him off of ST. That is the reality of it. That doesn't make him soft...It is a personnel decision on game day. If he was a starter...He very well could have been active & played through the injury.

    You are crowning him "soft" or "injury prone" for missing 7 games out of 64 over 4 years with minor injuries? Here's a football flavor for you. If you play on the LOS on either side of the ball...You are going to get banged up. It is inevitable & the rules don't protect you. That's a simple fact of the game. Front 7 guys over the span of '10-'12 below. I will let it speak for itself.

    Timmons 48/48
    Foote 47/48
    Hood 48/48
    Hampton 44/48
    Worilds 42/48
    Kiesel 41/48
    Harrison 40/48
    Woodley 39/48

    '10-'11
    Farrior 30/32
    A Smith 10/32

    I mentioned what happened it '11 & '12 but I guess you can't recall what transpired so I will refresh. Worilds injured his wrist in '11. He played through the year with the injury. He had surgery in the off-season. Worilds began camp on the PUP because he couldn't hinge his left wrist. Harrison was also on PUP. They both couldn't practice & didn't play any preseason games. Harrison & Worilds came off the PUP on 8/28...One week before week 1 of the regular season. Carter started all preseason games and started the first three games of '12 because Harrison & Worilds were still recovering from injuries. Harrison was inactive for the first three & Worilds was the back-up at both OLBs spots. Worilds wore a brace on his wrist until mid season. Carter started until Harrison returned to start in the 4th game. Carter didn't beat out anyone...He was their only healthy option. If you want...You can say Carter beat out B Johnson & Robinson. In those 3 games Carter started & played 102 defensive snaps & recorded 0 sacks. Worilds played 74 snaps & recorded 1 sack. B Johnson & Robinson played a total of 2 defensive snaps combined over those 3 games. Carter has played in 29/48 games & has yet to record a sack. I find it very difficult to believe that Carter was on the field ahead of Worilds because of talent...It was because of health.

    The JJ argument is dead. Worilds started the season...JJ got the nod & 4 games later Worilds won it back. If Woodley doesn't go down...JJ may have never got another start. Just answer the question of who was the best OLB on the field (Worilds) & that will answer your "What does that say?"

    On a side note since you mentioned it. I may be the first person to put this in type. It may be something that stays "in house". This is coming from a football guy. If the Steelers do end up retaining Worilds & the number comes in surprisingly lower than we thought...I may have hit the nail on the head on the "in house". Hopefully not a long term condition. It has to do with Worilds production on the left versus right. Jason Worilds wrist injury was his left wrist. The reports of complications were about "hinging" of the wrist. For those who never played or never played on the edge...It is essential to have the wrist flex strength for you inside arm. That is the arm you take on the blocker with that exerts the most energy at impact. It also is the arm that takes the most force with your inside counter. There may be a possibility that Worilds doesn't have & may never have full strength in that wrist. That is why he is more productive on the right because his bad wrist is his outside arm. The bulk of the strain will always be on his right wrist. I may have a concern if it ever would return to 100%. I wouldn't let him walk because of it....But I wouldn't pay him market value if he does have "limitations". Now this is just a theory on Worilds looking more productive on the left... But the football logic is sound if this is the case.



  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    The JJ argument is dead. Worilds started the season...JJ got the nod & 4 games later Worilds won it back. If Woodley doesn't go down...JJ may have never got another start. Just answer the question of who was the best OLB on the field (Worilds) & that will answer your "What does that say?"

    On a side note since you mentioned it. I may be the first person to put this in type. It may be something that stays "in house". This is coming from a football guy. If the Steelers do end up retaining Worilds & the number comes in surprisingly lower than we thought...I may have hit the nail on the head on the "in house". Hopefully not a long term condition. It has to do with Worilds production on the left versus right. Jason Worilds wrist injury was his left wrist. The reports of complications were about "hinging" of the wrist. For those who never played or never played on the edge...It is essential to have the wrist flex strength for you inside arm. That is the arm you take on the blocker with that exerts the most energy at impact. It also is the arm that takes the most force with your inside counter. There may be a possibility that Worilds doesn't have & may never have full strength in that wrist. That is why he is more productive on the right because his bad wrist is his outside arm. The bulk of the strain will always be on his right wrist. I may have a concern if it ever would return to 100%. I wouldn't let him walk because of it....But I wouldn't pay him market value if he does have "limitations". Now this is just a theory on Worilds looking more productive on the left... But the football logic is sound if this is the case.
    Very interesting insight on the wrist as a potential explanation for why Worilds plays better on the left than on the right.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •