Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heath Miller Contract Extension Could Save Serious Cap Space

Legend

User Info Menu

Heath Miller Contract Extension Could Save Serious Cap Space

Pittsburgh Steelers Rumors: Heath Miller Contract Extension Could Save Serious Cap Space

January 25, 2014 by Brandon Sweeney

2013 was a slow season for 31-year-old tight end Heath Miller after the Pro Bowl season he put together the year before. Miller came back from a torn ACL he suffered in Week 16 of the regular season against the Cincinnati Bengals in 2012. Miller missed just two games this season before getting back onto the field for the offense — recording 58 receptions for 593 yards and one touchdown.

Miller will now be entering his final season of his contract in 2014 where he is owed $9.5 million by the Pittsburgh Steelers. In previous years, the Steelers have showed the same philosophy with all of their veterans by extending player contracts to allow them to pay later instead of now. This looks to be the same case as the Steelers are very low on cap once again this season.

According to Nate Bouda of NFL Trade Rumors, an extension would cut Miller’s $9.5 million in half. The Steelers are still projected $12 million over the cap so an extension to Miller is almost guaranteed. However, the Steelers cannot stop there. The black and gold must restructure or extend a couple players’ contracts.

Guys like quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and safety Troy Polamalu are two names that have been previously mentioned. It will be more interesting to see if the Steelers extend Polamalu’s contract or decide to part ways with the All-Pro safety. For Roethlisberger, an extension will definitely be coming.

So it’s not about if Miller will get his extension, but it’s a matter of when will the Steelers give it to him. Scott Brown of ESPN said he would be shocked if the Steelers did not extend Miller “sooner rather than later.”

[URL]http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2014/01/25/pittsburgh-steelers-rumors-heath-miller-contract-extension-could-save-serious-cap-space/?dDqkbF3mfBbXvx2F.99[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Did he play well enough to get an extension? Maybe, draft the top TE in the draft and release MIller, there can't be much dead money if he's in the last year of his contract, can there? Is a pay cut in order with the extension? Everyone wants Troy and Ike to take a pay cut, shouldn't an aging slow TE be asked to do the same? He isn't Graham, Davis, or any other top TE and if you extend him, for how long? You can see how slow he is now, what's he going to be like in two years?

What are the cap savings if they release him?

I love Heath Miller, but if Ike and Troy are on the table for pay cuts, then I think Heath has to be considered for the same. We knew all these contracts would come payable in the future and the future is here.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Miller is due $6 million in salary, with a cap hit of about $9.5 million. He is no longer a $6 million / year tight end. The Steeelers could guarantee part of the salary this year (say, $2.5 or 3.5 million), convert the rest to a signing bonus, and extend Miller for, say, 2 years, at a reasonable salary. That would open up cap space this year without having a significant impact on the cap in the future, and should work to the benefit of all parties.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm all for extending Miller as long as we draft a star TE who can start to take over for him in a couple of years. Some tremendous talent available early like:

Round 1:
    Eric Ebron (Game changing talent)
    Jace Amaro

Round 2:
    Austin Serafin-Jenkins

Late Round 2 or Round 3:
    Troy Niklas
    CJ Fiedorowicz
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Hey Ovi, I like Tight Ends as much (if not more) than the next guy, but don't know a whole lot about Ebron. Is he in the same class as your boy from last year?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I've watched ebron a couple of times and didn't see "game changing talent"

I hope we don't go TE in round 1

Legend

User Info Menu

This article is seriously flawed. Some of the facts presented...

Miller will now be entering his final season of his contract in 2014 where he is owed $9.5 million by the Pittsburgh Steelers.
    False. His salary is just over $6M, his cap number is $9.5M

an extension would cut Miller’s $9.5 million in half.
    False. An extension will do whatever they negotiate it to do. Could be cut in half, or it could be any other fraction. Stating the fact that it will cut in half is not anywhere near a fact.

I have to agree with Pappy on this. Everybody wants to state that our starting #1 CB must accept a paycut. Our starting SS must accept a paycut. Both are in the last year of their contracts and are expendable. In that case, I think that our starting TE should enter that category of must accept reduction.

If all three agree to cut 40% off of their 2014 salary, we see Ike at $4.2M salary, Troy at $4.95M salary, and Miller at $3.612M, which saves the team over $8.5M against the cap while none of the three players are "insulted" too badly. Take another $6.25M away after Levi Brown is released, and that reduces the cap by just a shade under $15M.

If the team extends any combination of players such as Ben, Timmons, Pouncey, or Brown, you can add some more space, depending on how you structure the deals. There are definitely ways to get it done, you just need co-operative players, the guts to pull off a big move or two (cutting one of the three players above, and/or someone not listed), and some ingenuity.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    I've watched ebron a couple of times and didn't see "game changing talent"

I hope we don't go TE in round 1
    Not sure what games you watched but I saw a TE who couldn't be covered by LBs and ran away from DBs. Adjusts well to the ball and has great hands.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    Hey Ovi, I like Tight Ends as much (if not more) than the next guy, but don't know a whole lot about Ebron. Is he in the same class as your boy from last year?
    In my opinion he is better than Eifert and has a much higher upside. We're talking Jimmy Graham, Vernon Wells potential.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Not sure what games you watched but I saw a TE who couldn't be covered by LBs and ran away from DBs. Adjusts well to the ball and has great hands.
    don't get me wrong, I don't think he is a bad player, just wasn't overly impressed. Don't feel is worth #15. Trading back and getting him in the mid 20's? I can get behind that.