Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Should the Steelers force Lebeau out?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Its not just about playing young guys earlier... its about playing them earlier without the encyclopedia sized playbook confusing them.
    I don't even think it is about that. I think it is about "institutional control". In other words, a lack of accountability. I'm not tech savvy enough, to list all the 70+ year old coordinator level coaches in this league's history. But if I could, I'm guessing that I would see quite many unsuccessful teams over that span. This year as a matter of fact, Lebeau and Monte Kiffin, were the heads of two of the most disappointing defenses in the league. To be honest, I can't think of many/any other 70-year old coordinators/head coaches. But if I could, I'm confident in my generalization. (The only guy close who comes to mind is Tom Moore, when he was with the Colts. Of course, Peyton had as much an impact on the playcalling as Moore did at the time.)

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Should the Steelers force Lebeau out?

BY SCOTT SINCLAIR - JAN 23RD, 2014

....the Steelers defense has become a major weakness. Age and poor personnel decisions have hurt what was once the best unit in the NFL. Some of that can be attributed to GM Kevin Colbert for not finding proper replacements for departed starters like Aaron Smith, Keenan Allen, Casey Hampton, etc....[URL]http://nicepickcowher.com/2014/01/23/steelers-force-lebeau/[/URL]
    Scott Sinclair, if you do not know the names of the players who play on a team, you really have no right to write about them.
    How embarrassing.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Guys, it's not like he's a young highly touted coordinator in the prime of his career. LeBeau is at the end of his career.He's 76 years old and his coaching career is coming to an end.
    How does him coaching another year or two benefit this team? It doesn't in my opinion.
    I think it's time to let Butler take the reigns and let LeBeau stay on as some sort of consultant.
    Let Butler have an impact on the upcoming draft which should be defensive heavy for us.
    This reminds me of the bad decision to keep Aaron Smith and Farrior an extra year.
    It's a business, LeBeau doesn't coach for free.

Effects of Aging
    Two thirds of all people eventually experience some significant loss of mental lucidity and independence as a result of aging. 60 years and older experience significant cognitive decline, including declines in memory, concentration, clarity of thought, focus and judgment with an increase in the onset of several neurological problems like Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, stroke etc...Research has shown that as the brain ages or as people get older, there will be a decrease in brain weight and brain volume, widening of the grooves on the surface of the brain and enlargement of the ventricular system (ventricles- a cavity or hollow part of the brain).
    The decrease in brain weight and brain volume are probably due to loss of neurons (specialized cells transmitting nerve impulses) and extra cellular fluid. Man may have a 20% reduction in brain weight between the ages of forty -five and eighty -five and lose thirty to fifty thousand neurons a day from the brain and nervous system as they age. Enlargement of the ventricular system may be probably due to loss of cells surrounding the ventricles (the spaces in the brain that contain cerebrospinal fluid).
    Last edited by pittpete; 01-26-2014 at 11:42 PM.

Backup

User Info Menu

It's simple,....bring aboard a true and or total package GM or Head Coach and stop mouth forking the draft every single year. I honor Coach Lebeau and believe that the man is not senile by any means.

He is given horse ish and told to make a gourmet meal and yet still,.... operates.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Troy refusing a cut is disheartening, but he can at least make the case that he is worth it.
    Troy has given his all every time he has taken the field,... be that at 100% or anything less. He has served with humility and honor. He has upheld this franchise's ideal and remains one of the elite amongst his peers as a football player and a Man.

Is he really wrong for not taking a "hometown discount" because he is concerned for the sake of his Family's Legacy and future ?

Why should he do so at this point in his life ?,... to compensate for the failings, poor planning, poor management and pride of lesser men whom he always served with distinction ?

Perhaps,....but somehow i think that he (Troy) does his job as though he is doing it for the Lord. And if the Lord says stand fast,...then stand fast.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I think this is the million dollar question. FO could be cool and patient in the old NFL. If our D continues to struggle the next year or 2 then what? We have to play with the guys we have and if DL refuses to adjust he should be forced out.

We are picking players that we believe will fit our system... lack of talent isn't an acceptable excuse.
    I'm hoping the FO is willing to make tough decisions with LeBeau. But, I believe when he leaves it will be on his terms.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Polamalu View Post
    It's simple,....bring aboard a true and or total package GM or Head Coach and stop mouth forking the draft every single year. I honor Coach Lebeau and believe that the man is not senile by any means.

He is given horse ish and told to make a gourmet meal and yet still,.... operates.
    The problem Rod is that it operates worse every year and yet nothing changes. You can't have it both ways and blame everything on the players when it goes wrong and then heap praises on a "genius" coach when it goes right. Any DC in the NFL can do a good job when he has all the right talent. It is the great ones who do great with less talent.

As I have said, as far as the players, do you really think a "legendary" def coord who has tremendous respect and status in the organization has no say on the players being brought in to play defense? Really?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Honestly, I think the best thing that could happen for ALL parties is for Lebeau to ANNOUNCE that this is his last season. Maybe that's what he needs to be convinced of. Then no one has to force anyone out. And I think the players would do everything they could to send him out on a positive note. The players love him. They'd want to send him out on top. IMO, it would be an unfortunate ending to a marvelous career to have to be forced out.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    Honestly, I think the best thing that could happen for ALL parties is for Lebeau to ANNOUNCE that this is his last season. Maybe that's what he needs to be convinced of. Then no one has to force anyone out. And I think the players would do everything they could to send him out on a positive note. The players love him. They'd want to send him out on top. IMO, it would be an unfortunate ending to a marvelous career to have to be forced out.
    I agree and hand over more responsibility to Butler and let him make whatever changes he wants with LeBeau as a "Consultant"
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I'm hoping the FO is willing to make tough decisions with LeBeau. But, I believe when he leaves it will be on his terms.
    I know that's the way it will go but I wouldn't be surprised to see this D continue sliding as long as he is here and refuses to change the scheme.