Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Should the Steelers force Lebeau out?

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    There is also a report out there that we had more faith in Allen...

Economics were involved but who knows if we kept him on the sideline too long. Lewis also gave Lake a ton of credit in helping to break down the playbook. We drafted Lewis so of course we thought he had something special but once again... when a player does well it's all DL but if he fails it's all on him.

The question was how many players did we let go that flourished once they left... not how many left due to cap space.
    Actually, I wouldn't give Lebeau the credit for developing him, that would be Lake, but Lebeau is that one that plays him or not with input from Lake. Players don't get benched for no good reason or because the DC is a HOF coach or the player is a rookie, they get benched because they can't handle their assignments, throwing the tantrum only exacerbated the process.

Economics had a big affect on his not signing, the same as economics had a big affect on re-signing Gay, because he was inexpensive.

As I said before, Lebeau can stay or go, the same with Haley, if they go, the new hire will know enough about football to put a good product on the field. You don't get to coach in the NFL without knowing a little something about the game. My debate with all the "Lebeau must go" crowd is that everyone thinks its a slam dunk that the defense will be better once he's gone and the defense has had two down years, really? If someone held a gun to my head and asked me if his replacement will be able to maintain the excellence that DL has maintained while he been the DC for Pittsburgh, I would select "No way" as my answer.

Is there a DC that has had the same success over the past 8 years or however many you want to count that DL has had? Which team has maintained a defense in the top 10 as often as the Steelers? Seattle? Uh-huh 49ers? Uh-Huh Anyone in the AFC East? That's a joke Giants? Maybe Dallas, Skins and Eagles? Nope NFC South? LOL Etc., you get the idea

Pappy

1.15) Ra'Shede Hageman - DE
    2.47) Jason Verrett - CB
    3.97) CJ Fiedorowicz - TE
    4.114) Brandon Coleman - WR
    5.145) Lamin Barrow - ILB
    5.173) Terrance Mitchell - CB
    6.176)
    7.207) Jay Bromley - DT
    7.215)

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Legend
    Pap--nothing is a slam dunk about being better, but I think the issue is that many of feel we need to get some new perspectives and a willingness to make changes some of which may be radical.

As an example, just look at our own offense. Ben plays stubborn and the offense stumbles, the OL can't produce holes, Ben keeps hitting the ground, etc. Now look at the last 6 games. Ben embraces change and plays within Haley's system, the OL is a non issue and protects, the running game starts to produce, the Steelers win.

There just seems to be no appetitie for a fundamental change on defense or even the willingness to consider it. The NFL is not the NFL of 2002-2006. Sure there is some minor change stuff around the edges but is it really working when we see a four year trend with decreasing sacks, decreasing INTs, more big plays given up, etc. All this from a defense that is supposedly predicated on pressure, forcing mistakes and getting turnovers as designed by LeBeau. None of that is happening anymore. Why? Is it the players? Only to some extent but what are you going to do, wait 4-5 years to hopefully get just the right players like we had five years ago? You have the players you have so you have to adjust to play to their strengths.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 01-28-2014 at 05:22 PM.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

2014 Draft

1. Eric Ebron, TE
    2. Calvin Pryor, S
    3 (Comp). Jaylen Watkins, CB
    4. Justin Ellis, DT/NT
    5a. Brandon Coleman, WR
    5b. Brent Urban, DE
    6. Prince Shembo, OLB
    7a. Aaron Colvin, CB
    7b. Storm Johnson, RB

Hall of Famer
    Troy told Shark the easiest way to learn the D is to learn every positions assignments... IMO that is freaking crazy.
    Exactly what B Bellichick expects of his players. So we have two HOF candidate coaches against your opinion....

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    The eye test tells me he has such disdain for rookies, that he doesn't even TRY to develop them, unless the Rooneys tell him he has to, which was the case with JJ. They were so in love with that pick that I am sure DL was told to do everything he could to get him playing ASAP, which turned out to be too early as they ended up benching him.
    Such disdain that he played a rookie MLB for half the season.....

and before you say "only because he had to", think again. Could have forced the team to go find an aged vet on the street, since he has all the hiring firing power on defense according to some

Legend
    We lose Harrison, Smitty, Hampton, Farrior, Lewis, and Foote over the last few years. Woodley's play falls off a cliff. And many of our other defenders are getting long in the tooth. We haven't drafted particularly well recently.

Add it all up and we want to blame Lebeau's scheme and play calling cause he's old. C'mon. I'm not buying it.

If Lebeau was the problem we'd have heard someone say something about him by now as much as the Steelers are covered and not a peep from anyone.

Hall of Famer
    ....The problem with your stance is our timetable for developing players was longer back when we had some of those players. In this new NFL we no longer have the luxury....

Since Seattle is being held up as the new model for building a defense let me ask how long it took for that defense to pass the "eyeball test"? It certainly wasn't great 3 yrs ago. Wasn't even as good as the Steeler's defense 2 yrs ago. The fact is that it required all the pieces coming together just last season. And let's see how long they can stay there once they start picking at the bottom of the draft like the Steelers have done for a decade. It's the consistency of the Steelers defense that we have been spoiled by as fans. Very few other teams have had such perenial success. If DL had never fielded a great defense or hadn't had one for 4 yrs straight, then I wouldn't argue his firing. But 2 yrs with all the loss in player leadership?... no way a make a call that quickly.

Pro Bowler
    In todays NFL teams don't have time to develop talent over 3 years.
    It took 3 years for Keenan Lewis to be a fit in this defense.
    When was the last time we had a young player develop in this defense?
    We havn't and thats the problem.
    Heyward sat behind a mediocre and below often average Ziggy Hood.
    Ziggy Hood never panned out and who knows how good Cam would've been if he started day 1?
    Relying on aging veterans while not allowing rooks to contribute has put us in this situation and the DC gets no blame?
    Without injuries to Woodley and Foote you know we wouldn't have seen Jones and Williams.
    Will Allen gets cut then resigned when younger players are there and the cycle continues.
    The #1 defensive ranking means absolutely nothing when you can't sack/pressure the QB or cause turnovers.
    We have some good picks in the upcoming draft and we need these guys to contribute sooner rather than later.
    Let Butler takeover, LeBeau won't be around next year.

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    We lose Harrison, Smitty, Hampton, Farrior, Lewis, and Foote over the last few years. Woodley's play falls off a cliff. And many of our other defenders are getting long in the tooth. We haven't drafted particularly well recently.

Add it all up and we want to blame Lebeau's scheme and play calling cause he's old. C'mon. I'm not buying it.

If Lebeau was the problem we'd have heard someone say something about him by now as much as the Steelers are covered and not a peep from anyone.
    very well said
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Kenny Ladler FS Vanderbilt
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech or Jordan Tripp LB Montana
    6. Ricardo Allen CB Purdue
    6. (comp) Andrew Jackson ILB W. Kentucky
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    In todays NFL teams don't have time to develop talent over 3 years.
    It took 3 years for Keenan Lewis to be a fit in this defense.
    When was the last time we had a young player develop in this defense?
    We havn't and thats the problem.
    Heyward sat behind a mediocre and below often average Ziggy Hood.
    Ziggy Hood never panned out and who knows how good Cam would've been if he started day 1?
    Relying on aging veterans while not allowing rooks to contribute has put us in this situation and the DC gets no blame?
    Without injuries to Woodley and Foote you know we wouldn't have seen Jones and Williams.
    Will Allen gets cut then resigned when younger players are there and the cycle continues.
    The #1 defensive ranking means absolutely nothing when you can't sack/pressure the QB or cause turnovers.
    We have some good picks in the upcoming draft and we need these guys to contribute sooner rather than later.
    Let Butler takeover, LeBeau won't be around next year.

You are making the assumption that all players develop at the same rate. The lights don't all come on at the same time, that's just human nature. Using your strategy, the Steelers never have the services of JHarrison for example, took too long to develop. The SEA defense was pathetic 3 yrs ago. Using your example, they need to turn over their players now that they have 3 yrs under their belt. Watch and see how many of their draft picks get significant playing time next season, with all these great players on the field in front of them.

Pro Bowler
    Let's also remember the logjam of coaches, that keeping an old Lebeau on creates. You think Butler will continue to sit and wait indefinitely? You think the golden coach Carnell Lake will eschew coordinator positions, to remain as our DB coach? Jerry Olsavsky, someone who I personally have thought would make an excellent coach someday, is taking interviews now.