Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Should the Steelers force Lebeau out?

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Here was the 2008 Draft class:

- Mendenhall
    - Sweed
    - Bruce Davis
    - Tony Hills
    - Dennis Dixon
    - Bruce Davis
    - Ryan Mundy

Look at that list and tell me again that you believe the Defensive Coordinator's evaluation skills are more lacking than Tomlin or Colbert. Moreover, you never hear much about the coordinators being involved in the predraft scouting. You hear about Tomlin and Colbert.

There was an evaluation problem with those picks, but there is absolutely no basis to suggest that there is a development problem. Nobody else developed those guys into players.
    So you believe a Def Coord with 55 years experience in the NFL; a "legendary" Hall of Fame Coach; a man held in the highest regard within the organization to the point that he and he alone will decide when he leaves has no input on the players that the team drafts for his defense? Really? On any level does a poster as intelligent and informed as you are Philly really believe that?

Another example of how LeBeau is held accountable for nothing which is a big part of the problem why we see the performance of our defense slipping and nothing changes.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    So you believe a Def Coord with 55 years experience in the NFL; a "legendary" Hall of Fame Coach; a man held in the highest regard within the organization to the point that he and he alone will decide when he leaves has no input on the players that the team drafts for his defense? Really? On any level does a poster as intelligent and informed as you are Philly really believe that?

Another example of how LeBeau is held accountable for nothing which is a big part of the problem why we see the performance of our defense slipping and nothing changes.
    I don't believe that he has no input, but Colbert and Tomlin are clearly the two that drive the process. If we're going to throw out Lebeau because of poor player evaluation, Tomlin and Colbert should also go.

Legend
    The whole "If lebeau goes then tomlin, colbert, etc needs to go as well" is laughable. You guys make it sound like DL owns the team or is this figure who is untouchable.

If we continue to slide then Colbert and Tomlin will feel the heat as well.

DL is 76.... stop acting like he is entering his prime.

Legend
    I don't believe that he has no input, but Colbert and Tomlin are clearly the two that drive the process. If we're going to throw out Lebeau because of poor player evaluation, Tomlin and Colbert should also go.
    I think LeBeau has significant input on the defensive players, both draft and free agency, that the team targets. I don't think he has any players forced on him who he isn't OK with. The shortcoming is the development once they get there and that is totally on him.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    The whole "If lebeau goes then tomlin, colbert, etc needs to go as well" is laughable. You guys make it sound like DL owns the team or is this figure who is untouchable.

If we continue to slide then Colbert and Tomlin will feel the heat as well.

DL is 76.... stop acting like he is entering his prime.
    What you call laughable others call logical. If you are going to hold Lebeau accountable for failures in personnel evaluation, it makes sense to also hold the top 2 guys accountable. In fact, Tomlin and Colbert are accountable for the misses on both sides of the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I think LeBeau has significant input on the defensive players, both draft and free agency, that the team targets. I don't think he has any players forced on him who he isn't OK with. The shortcoming is the development once they get there and that is totally on him.
    Bruce Davis was an absolute dog. Nobody else in the league developed him, either. Same for the rest.

How many guys have left the Steelers defense and gone on to flourish elsewhere? You have to go back to Mike Vrabel, and Lebeau was in Cincinnati for the entirety of his tenure.

No one knows exactly how a draft is gonna play out once its taking place. Sure DL has input into the draft by talking up players he likes from the college teams going into the draft. However, once that draft starts and players start coming off the board, I would guess it's pretty much Tomlin's and Colbert's draft. Sure they may get a player that DL has in high regards, but there are many more players that end up going elsewhere.....

I agree with Philly. If you are going to throw DL under the bus for who's being drafted, then you better do the same for the guys ahead of him- namely Colbert and Tomlin.

This is all just talk anyway as all 3 of these guys mentioned aren't going anywhere (yet)- so get over it already and stop blaming DL for all of our defensive deficiencies. When you lose so many leaders on D, the D is bound to take a hit like it did in 2013......
    Last edited by pfelix73; 01-28-2014 at 12:28 PM.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend
    Bruce Davis was an absolute dog. Nobody else in the league developed him, either. Same for the rest.

How many guys have left the Steelers defense and gone on to flourish elsewhere? You have to go back to Mike Vrabel, and Lebeau was in Cincinnati for the entirety of his tenure.
    Keenan Lewis

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    No one knows exactly how a draft is gonna play out once its taking place. Sure DL has input into the draft by talking up players he likes from the college teams going into the draft. However, once that draft starts and players start coming off the board, I would guess it's pretty much Tomlin's and Colbert's draft. Sure they may get a player that DL has in high regards, but there are many more players that end up going elsewhere.....

I agree with Philly. If you are going to throw DL under the bus for who's being drafted, then you better do the same for the guys ahead of him- namely Colbert and Tomlin.

This is all just talk anyway as all 3 of these guys mentioned aren't going anywhere (yet)- so get over it already and stop blaming DL for all of our defensive deficiencies. When you lose so many leaders on D, the D is bound to take a hit like it did in 2013......
    There isn't anything wrong with talking about it... especially when you see our cap situation, old vets and Worilds being a FA.

Hell, we talk about getting rid of coaches all the time when they come up short... no reason why we can't debate if DL should be one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Keenan Lewis
    One example in how many years. Not only that, Keenan Lewis played well his last year in Pittsburgh. Are you now going to blame Lebeau for not personally resigning him?

And if you want to talk about him not playing earlier, he got torched, threw a temper tantrum, and was benched. Some guys take a while to mature. If you believe that players should be free to throw temper tantrums without consequences, perhaps you should root for the Raiders or some other undisciplined crap team.