Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Worilds Ranked Second Best Free Agent LB

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

One thing I would assert is that fans, especially those that tend to post on forums, tend to be far more negative than the coaches or others who assess plays soberly without some type of emotional disdain. Worilds would not be ranked the No. 2 free agent linebacker if he had done absolutely nothing before this year. He did good things even before this season. But I would say he played markedly well, this year, like perhaps the best OLB in the league. That is what he did this year. He acquitted himself reasonably well beforehand. If you had eyes you could see the talent.

If you want to emphasize injury, then you can. You would be hard pressed to find many players in the league who never had an injury issue. I would rather bet on Worilds than Woodley at this point. Woodley issues have become chronic with the same kind of muscle pulls for three years and he has reached 30. Worilds problems have been different things, and he is younger at 25. I always thank goodness that the negative people on here do not make the personnel decisions. I hope they find some way to keep him. I don't know what his demands may be. I doubt that he personally would be that difficult to negotiate with, but somethimes players leave everything to the agent, who may be a problem.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    One thing I would assert is that fans, especially those that tend to post on forums, tend to be far more negative than the coaches or others who assess plays soberly without some type of emotional disdain. Worilds would not be ranked the No. 2 free agent linebacker if he had done absolutely nothing before this year. He did good things even before this season. But I would say he played markedly well, this year, like perhaps the best OLB in the league. That is what he did this year. He acquitted himself reasonably well beforehand. If you had eyes you could see the talent.

If you want to emphasize injury, then you can. You would be hard pressed to find many players in the league who never had an injury issue. I would rather bet on Worilds than Woodley at this point. Woodley issues have become chronic with the same kind of muscle pulls for three years and he has reached 30. Worilds problems have been different things, and he is younger at 25. I always thank goodness that the negative people on here do not make the personnel decisions. I hope they find some way to keep him. I don't know what his demands may be. I doubt that he personally would be that difficult to negotiate with, but somethimes players leave everything to the agent, who may be a problem.
    Are you stoned? Or maybe I am. Or maybe I need reading comprehension lessons. Did you just say that Worilds performed like the best OLB in the league last year?

Anyone would take Worilds over Woodley at this point, all things being equal. But they aren't equal. Woodley can still play. He costs whatever he costs (I don't know the number; let's just say $8 mil). If we keep him and he has 10 sacks next year, we are fine. If we cut him and sign Worilds, we pay his salary and Woodley's dead money. If that # is $5 mil for Worilds, and we eat Woodley's cap number, that is $10+ mil.

What is Worilds going to do? At best, we are talking a 10-12 sack guy too. If his past is indication? He will get hurt too. When/if he does, what are we left with? Chris Carter?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Are you stoned? Or maybe I am. Or maybe I need reading comprehension lessons. Did you just say that Worilds performed like the best OLB in the league last year?

Anyone would take Worilds over Woodley at this point, all things being equal. But they aren't equal. Woodley can still play. He costs whatever he costs (I don't know the number; let's just say $8 mil). If we keep him and he has 10 sacks next year, we are fine. If we cut him and sign Worilds, we pay his salary and Woodley's dead money. If that # is $5 mil for Worilds, and we eat Woodley's cap number, that is $10+ mil.

What is Worilds going to do? At best, we are talking a 10-12 sack guy too. If his past is indication? He will get hurt too. When/if he does, what are we left with? Chris Carter?
    Yes I said he performed like the best OLB in the league. Not stoned. When he was at left OLB. He did not seem as comfortable on the right. I am not a capologist. I don't know what the cap implicatons are. I am not going to take your word for it though. We'll see how it goes. I know you'll all for letting him leave. I hope they don't.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    A sack machine, really? When was this, I missed it? Again, the last 8 games of this year only, can you count on that "sack machine" continuing that production or is it more likely he will miss time with injury? Which would be given the higher probability?

I'd like to keep him, but if his numbers are anything above 4 mil/year, I don't see how the Steelers match those numbers.

Pappy

Pappy
    I was saying it tongue in cheek. I'm actually on the fence about Worilds. I have never really taken a stance on his play other than I believe he flashed half a season. My point is...evaluation of talent. He is considered the second best OLB FA available. No doubt the Steelers would be better with him, than without him. Even if he didn't start having Worilds is a luxury I would love to have. So, in practice...in games he played the Steelers never seen enough talent to throw a back up contract at the guy? They were willing to let him walk...bring in a rookie? I don't know...seems like the FO and or coaches missed something here.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I was saying it tongue in cheek. I'm actually on the fence about Worilds. I have never really taken a stance on his play other than I believe he flashed half a season. My point is...evaluation of talent. He is considered the second best OLB FA available. No doubt the Steelers would be better with him, than without him. Even if he didn't start having Worilds is a luxury I would love to have. So, in practice...in games he played the Steelers never seen enough talent to throw a back up contract at the guy? They were willing to let him walk...bring in a rookie? I don't know...seems like the FO and or coaches missed something here.
    And this is why i wouldn't put it past the Steelers to draft another OLB at 1.15 and after next year roll with Jones and this year's pick, let worlds go this year and release Woodley next year.

Oh and sorry I didn't have sarcastic meter running on the sack machine comment, I must be losing it in my old age.

Pappy
    Last edited by papillon; 01-27-2014 at 02:31 PM.

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This is precisely what I've been advocating lately

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    And this is why i wouldn't put it past the Steelers to draft another OLB at 1.15 and after next year roll with Jones and this year's pick, let worlds go this year and release Woodley next year.
    If Khalil Mack or Barr make it to us, it makes the decision for us IMO. If not, I'm a big fan of taking Trent Murphy there, though it is considered a reach at this point in the process. I think he would be a quick study, for Woodley's inevitable calf or hamstring pull. And he has versatility, which we need.

It would give us the last two FBS sack leaders too.
    Last edited by papillon; 01-27-2014 at 02:32 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

I would disagree. How could they not see the guy's talent if it's there. They are pros at evaluating talent. So, signing him for pennies on the dollar makes sense...even as a back up considering Woodleys history. Last season, they could have said...you are a reasonable stop gap...here is 1.5 million per season. He would have jumped at it.
    Why would he have jumped at this? If you take the premise that most guys believe in their own ability, why wouldn't he have wanted a shot at FA to prove his worth elsewhere, knowing that he was close to being an afterthought in Pittsburgh?

And while he has flashed some talent, he lacks one of the most important skills - staying healthy.

Legend

User Info Menu

someone will overpay for him and there is nothing we can do about it...

but let's be real.. he wasn't a beast in our system. He had a nice run in 8 games this year but he didn't "win" any games for us or change the momentum of games. He was a good OLB on a bad defense this year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Because at bare minimum you need 3 OLBs in a 3-4 system. You just cant afford to play Chris Carters.

worilds wasnt quality when some are saying he should have gotten paid
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Legend

User Info Menu

Nobody is mentioning the fact that this is also a very weak crop of outside backers, especially 3-4. Worilds is #2 after Orakpo - the easy top OLB. #3 is Shaun Philips - a 10 year vet who is currently a backup to Von Miller. Mike Neal of the Packers is #4 and he just played his first season at OLB after slimming down and converting from DE. Very few notable names.

This will work in JW's favor, but remember, last off-season the team brought in every possible FA OLB to play ahead of Worilds.