Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Worilds Ranked Second Best Free Agent LB

Legend

User Info Menu

Worilds Ranked Second Best Free Agent LB

Not bad for a "terrible" Tomlin draft pick. Could make him too hard for us to resign.

Worilds ranked second-best free-agent LB

January 24, 201411:18 PM
    By EdBouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Linebacker Jason Worilds, blocked by a wrist injury and two Pro Bowlers in front of him his first three seasons with the Steelers, broke through with his best season in 2013, and it’s about to pay off for him.
    Worilds is ranked as the second-best linebacker available in free agency,according to RotoWorld, a highly regarded site that covers prosports, including the NFL, and released its ratings Friday.

The only outside linebacker ranked ahead of Worilds is Brian Orakpo ofthe Washington Redskins, a first-round draft choice in 2009 who hasmade three Pro Bowls.

Freeagents can sign with other teams beginning March 11, but they canre-sign with their own team anytime before. Although the Steelershave not identified which players they would like to sign, presidentArt Rooney II, in a recent chat with Steelers ticket-holders,mentioned only one player when asked who he would like to keep.

“JasonWorilds is certainly somebody who came on and showed what he can do,particularly over the second half of the season,” Rooney said.

TheSteelers have 21 unrestricted free agents, and 18 landed onRotoWorld’s rankings. Among their position players, FernandoVelasco ranked the next highest as the eighth-best center.
    EmmanuelSanders is ranked No. 9 at wide receiver, Jerricho Cotchery No. 17and Plaxico Burress No. 44 among the 45 they ranked.

RyanClark is listed 10th among the 40 safeties with Will Allen at No. 34.Former Steelers safety Ryan Mundy is No. 23.

RotoWorld ranked LaRod Stephens-Howling as the 14th-best running back, Jonathan Dwyer as No. 15 and Felix Jones No. 20. Former Steeler RashardMendenhall ranked seventh.
    Brett Keisel is 15th among the 35 defensive ends. It listed defensive end Ziggy Hood at defensive tackle, where they rank him 16th among the 40on their list with Al Woods at No. 30.
    David Johnson is listed at No. 20 among tight ends and Michael Palmer No.25.

Stevenson Sylvester ranks 29th of the 30 inside linebackers on the RotoWorld list, but Jamaal Westerman is ranked five spots above him.

Of the five punters listed, Plum native Pat McAfee is No. 1, and two who played for the Steelers last season, Mat McBriar and Zoltan Mesko,are listed fourth and fifth.

Former Steelers offensive lineman Willie Colon is rated No. 3 among guards available in free agency. Also at guard, former Steeler Jamon Meredith is ranked 14th and Chris Scott No. 22.

Only three of the Steelers impending 21 unrestricted free agents are not on the RotoWorld rankings — Cody Wallace and Guy Whimper, and they do not list long snappers, so Greg Warren is not mentioned.
    The Steelers have no restricted free agents this year.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 01-25-2014 at 06:27 PM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I've been saying that for a few weeks now. He's ranked too high for us to be able to hold onto. Someone will take a chance on him and offer him a high end deal.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    I've been saying that for a few weeks now. He's ranked too high for us to be able to hold onto. Someone will take a chance on him and offer him a high end deal.
    I think you are right Ernie. The Steelers made their own bed with this one. They didn't recognize the need to sign him while he was affordable. Now, he will break the bank. 6-8 million per season will be his market. With the Steelers on the line for much of Woodley's contract...just not sure they are willing to eat that...and put more money into the position for a guy who flashed for half a season.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

He's gone. Guess we have to make Woodley work out. But he will be hurt like he is every season.

Backup

User Info Menu

Guess what position just skyrocketed up the draft board? The PS will likely have 8 picks. Now guessing a 2nd and a 3rd day pick are spent at the position.

Legend

User Info Menu

it's a pretty disturbing trend really...

Starter

User Info Menu

Hard to blame the FO. They had to go with what they had. And that was Woodley. He put up impressive numbers with Harrison. They were an impressive tandom. It sucks that Woodley gets hurt every year. It also sucks that we will lose Worilds. But we have Jones. And getting Barr or Mack or Mosley this year in the first will keep us right in the thick of things. And if those 3 are gone we will get Nix or Gilbert. And if all 5 of those guys are gone, hello Marqise Lee. and hello offense. 'cause with Lee, Brown, Cotchery, Wheaton, Miller and Bell...defenses will have a hand full with Ben behind Center.

I personally think Lee in place of Sanders flips this offense. Brown, Lee, Wheaton, Miller and Bell is gross with Ben at the helm and Pouncey,Foster,Beachum and DDC on the line.

I don't know. I just feel like like we can't lose with our draft position this year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    He's gone. Guess we have to make Woodley work out. But he will be hurt like he is every season.
    Something to consider.
    We regret paying Woodley the big bucks because AFTER signing he has been injury prone right?
    Worilds got a starting opportunity twice and cannot string together a half season of starts......EVER.
    Woodley at least HAS been a healthy starter. Worilds has NEVER done that.

Not to defend Woodley, but if we dont want an oft injured player Worilds aint necessarily gonna be any better at staying healthy.

His new found value to another team might be a blessing in disguise.

It would look really stupid if we get snake bitten again with a guy WE KNEW IN ADVANCE was prone to injury, pay him AND get cap hit by a chunk of what we owe Woodley after cutting him.

Beware what you wish for my Steeler brothers.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 01-26-2014 at 12:24 AM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Something to consider.
    We regret paying Woodley the big bucks because AFTER signing he has been injury prone right?
    Worilds got a starting opportunity twice and cannot string together a half season of starts......EVER.
    Woodley at least HAS been a healthy starter. Worilds has NEVER done that.

Not to defend Woodley, but if we dont want an oft injured player Worilds aint necessarily gonna be any better at staying healthy.

His new found value to another team might be a blessing in disguise.

It would look really stupid if we get snake bitten again with a guy WE KNEW IN ADVANCE was prone to injury, pay him AND get cap hit by a chunk of what we owe Woodley after cutting him.

Beware what you wish for my Steeler brothers.
    so you're saying there's a good chance we are screwed either way? That is a good possibility

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

instead of signning worilds, why don't go for the #1 LB? How much more would it be to get the all pro?

I agree with CAPTAIN LEMMING.... Worilds has never had a healhy season, and that was the knock on Woodley!