Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Worilds Ranked Second Best Free Agent LB

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    They could have signed him before they drafted Jones. If anything, Jones play or lack thereof has given Worilds a stronger negotiating position. Woodley's continued fade has also strengthened Worilds' hand in negotiations.
    I don't think that Jones' play has strengthened JW's bargaining position at all, in fact it might have hurt him. JW has shown that he has no versatility as a 3-4 OLB. He has played miserably anytime he has been asked to play the right side. He can only play on the left. He can't be moved around in order to create mismatches with the OL. His only bargaining chip is Woodley and his constant injury history. If the FO deems Woodley too much of a risk, then they will go hard after Worilds. I believe that if they stay with Woodley, then Worilds will not return. Jones won't factor into that decision.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8467thekraken View Post
    Hard to blame the FO. They had to go with what they had. And that was Woodley. He put up impressive numbers with Harrison. They were an impressive tandom. It sucks that Woodley gets hurt every year. It also sucks that we will lose Worilds. But we have Jones. And getting Barr or Mack or Mosley this year in the first will keep us right in the thick of things. And if those 3 are gone we will get Nix or Gilbert. And if all 5 of those guys are gone, hello Marqise Lee. and hello offense. 'cause with Lee, Brown, Cotchery, Wheaton, Miller and Bell...defenses will have a hand full with Ben behind Center.

I personally think Lee in place of Sanders flips this offense. Brown, Lee, Wheaton, Miller and Bell is gross with Ben at the helm and Pouncey,Foster,Beachum and DDC on the line.

I don't know. I just feel like like we can't lose with our draft position this year.
    Not hard to blame them for Woodley...but easy to find fault for not signing Worilds. How can a guy be a sack machine yet coaching staff doesn't see it?
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Ovi would have thrown money at Worilds when HE was the one known for being hurt all the time and being a wasted draft pick. Dude comes in and plays half a season of good football and Ovi comes in with his revisionist history making it sound like we we should have signed him rather than drafting Jones. FACT IS that prior to the second half of THIS season Worilds didn't show that he was worthy of his current contract let alone an extension. Hell, I don't even think he was even on the special teams unit because he was HURT so much.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Not hard to blame them for Woodley...but easy to find fault for not signing Worilds. How can a guy be a sack machine yet coaching staff doesn't see it?
    because he's in sweat pants more often than practice equipment?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    If I was Worilds, I wouldn't have signed a low extension with the Steelers going into this offseason. You know that they have a huge contract in Woodley and a first round pick at your position in Jones. He would have to think that his best opportunity was with another organization.
    I would disagree. How could they not see the guy's talent if it's there. They are pros at evaluating talent. So, signing him for pennies on the dollar makes sense...even as a back up considering Woodleys history. Last season, they could have said...you are a reasonable stop gap...here is 1.5 million per season. He would have jumped at it.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    why draft jones then if you gave worilds a new contract then?
    if the steelers would have given worilds a good contract, after proving nothing over the last 3 years, fans would have went nuts about it. and deservedly so.
    Because at bare minimum you need 3 OLBs in a 3-4 system. You just cant afford to play Chris Carters.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    because he's in sweat pants more often than practice equipment?
    Which can be said for Woodley. OLBs get dinged up. That is what happens. You need 3-4 quality OLBs.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Which can be said for Woodley. OLBs get dinged up. That is what happens. You need 3-4 quality OLBs.
    Yea but how do you evaluate a guy for an extension when he's always hurt. Woodley wasn't injury prone PRIOR to the extension. Worilds was. He's had more hammy issues than any player that I can remember.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    You nailed it, Pappy. Worilds had a perfect opportunity to demonstrate his value when Harrison was out for a few weeks to start the 2012 season. However, he couldn't seize the opportunity because he wasn't healthy himself, and he ended up splitting reps with Chris Carter. His performance to start this season was so lackluster that he lost his starting job to Jarvis Jones. He finally capitalized on the opportunity when Jones lost his starting job, but even then, Worilds missed the last game of the season because of an injury.

Worilds did show some flashes at times, but he never showed an ability to stay healthy or perform at a consistently high level. You can't blame the FO when the player doesn't capitalize on his opportunities.
    This is my point entirely, the only play he put on tape that indicates that he is capable of being an every down player in the NFL is over the last 8 games of this season. he has had 4 years to prove his worth and couldn't. How do you justify giving him a 5/30 or 5/40 contract? What has he done? 8 games, really, and injured again to miss the last game?

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

A sack machine, really? When was this, I missed it? Again, the last 8 games of this year only, can you count on that "sack machine" continuing that production or is it more likely he will miss time with injury? Which would be given the higher probability?

I'd like to keep him, but if his numbers are anything above 4 mil/year, I don't see how the Steelers match those numbers.

Pappy

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount