Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which positions will need bolstered in the draft and FA?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Which positions will need bolstered in the draft and FA?

There are the obvious thin positions and then there are the iffy ones, where we aren't really sure if a current player is capable of being a solid starter or not.

- Safety. If Clark is gone, but Troy returns, how much of a priority is safety? Is the team confident the Shark will become a solid starter, or will they feel the need to draft one in the first 3 rounds? I just don't know. We know he can hit, but can he cover well enough? Are Golden and Allen possible quality starters?

- NT. I see some think McClendon is no where near good enough, and others say he graded out much better than Casey. What is the truth? I don't know. But I think it's safe to say they will add another body at NT. I have seen some think Fangupo could be legit. Again, IDK. At 6', 325 he seems built for a 3-4 NT. He hit 36 reps of 225, so he has power. My guess is they will pick another body up to try to upgrade at NT, but how high a priority? They might go here fairly early if there is someone they really like.

- DE. I know it's going to pain some of you, but with Keisel and Hood likely gone, they are going to have to spend a fairly high pick on DE, again. But as I posted previously, we used to get our DEs in the mid and later rounds. Our best DEs in the last few years - Aaron Jones and Keisel - were later round picks. Can they once again find quality out of the top two rounds? I hope so, but I don't know if they feel they can risk it, being that we are losing two of former starters.

- CB. This is real murky. Ike is getting old. Gay has played better than most all of us thought. I would say they will be going CB pretty early. Brown has proven 100% incapable as a CB, even 4th string is beyond his ability. Cortez seems solid. But talk about thin. They may need to draft two CB or actually sign a decent free agent, but that is quite rare. Leboo wants to groom his CBs from day one of their NFL career, and then needs 3 yeas before he thinks they can play. I am guessing the staff thinks Ike is still a top CB. But there is no way they can deny they need something better than Brown and Green.

- OT. Surprisingly, with the emergence of Beachum, we might not be in dire straights at OT. I still expect them to draft another body, but it might not be top priority at this point.

- OLB. This is also murky. Do they bring Woodley back? Do they try to sign Worilds to a medium-priced deal? Can they assume Jones will make the leap and get bigger and stronger and truly fill the roll as a starting OLB? I doubt they gamble and lose both Woodley and Worilds. One will be back. But the whole team is built on those OLBs. If they aren't top shelf, the D can't cut it. How high do they draft another body?

- ILB. Timmons is a stud; I don't care what anyone says. But is Williams capable of being a solid starter? IDK. I read the piece where he said how overwhelming it was to understand the D as a rookie. Now he isn't a rookie, so he could pan out to be quality. Then we have the long shot in Spense coming back. Might have to draft one all things considered.

- WR. Sanders will be gone. Cotchery will get signed back. (He isn't going to want to go to a new team. He fits in with Pgh.) Wheaton could emerge if he is healthy. They still need another WR, but they have proven they can get quality WRs after the 3rd round, which I expect them to do once again. I also like that kid Brown but I am not sure Moye will cut it. He dropped that pass in the endzone. That doesn't mean anything? IDK, the ball hit him in the hands and he failed to catch it, ala Sweed, who just never was able to catch anything.

- OG. DD started playing like the guy we thought we drafted, and Foster is capable of being acceptable. Not a glaring need compared to all of the above positions.

- TE. Miller finally came on in the last 4 games; he was not ready when he first came back and had to knock some rust off, but the old Heath finally emerged. We have nothing after him, tho. I expect him to be the old Heath in 2014, but Spaeth is mostly worthless and Paulson's hands are iffy.

Realistically, they are an 8-8 team which is who they are. Looking at the roster, we are in pretty thin shape in too many areas. I know they got kind of hot down the stretch, but that in no way means they will start where they left off with so many positions with so many question marks. They need to really kill this draft in order to avoid more non-winning seasons. The only positions that we are set at, barring injuries, is QB, HB1, WR1, TE1, ILB1, CB1,2, SS, LOLB (barely, Woodley not really getting it done). There are legit concerns at NT, OLB, FS, WR2, ROT, DE, CB....lots to keep them up at night.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

My thought is NT is not thin IF they bring back Woods. I think Fangupo is in the plan. Part of the reason Ta'amu was let go. Depending on what happens at DE 1 or 2 could be picked even. Safety it will be will Allen and shark. Plus I think a draft pick and Golden. CB might need a FA and a draft pick. OT I think they ride with what they have. OLB is scary. Need a draft pick and maybe a FA. ILB they ride with what they have. Have to see if Spence can be the man.
    WR needs a draft pick and maybe a FA. Guard is set I think. TE could be a draft pick. Just not sure it will be Heath Millers replacement. This Defense is in flux big time. I do think this season needs a couple smart FA pick ups to fill holes. Also like every year the Steelers need to hit big in the draft. Also 2nd year players need to step way up for this team to be above .500. A couple bad drafts have really hurt the starters and depth of this team. It really has to turn around with the way the Steelers use FA. I think the offense can be really good. But can it carry the defense? Not so sure.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    My thought is NT is not thin IF they bring back Woods. I think Fangupo is in the plan. Part of the reason Ta'amu was let go. Depending on what happens at DE 1 or 2 could be picked even. Safety it will be will Allen and shark. Plus I think a draft pick and Golden. CB might need a FA and a draft pick. OT I think they ride with what they have. OLB is scary. Need a draft pick and maybe a FA. ILB they ride with what they have. Have to see if Spence can be the man.
    WR needs a draft pick and maybe a FA. Guard is set I think. TE could be a draft pick. Just not sure it will be Heath Millers replacement. This Defense is in flux big time. I do think this season needs a couple smart FA pick ups to fill holes. Also like every year the Steelers need to hit big in the draft. Also 2nd year players need to step way up for this team to be above .500. A couple bad drafts have really hurt the starters and depth of this team. It really has to turn around with the way the Steelers use FA. I think the offense can be really good. But can it carry the defense? Not so sure.
    As long as they keep allowing Ben to go no huddle most of the time, the O will be pretty good. If they go back to the traditional, side line calling plays, they will instantly suck again. Please, dear God, let them realize this and not make decisions based on serving egos. I would prefer if this team didn't have to score over 30 every week in order to win, though. If LeBoo is the genius they keep telling us, he should be able to form a decent D, even if some areas are young. If not, how is he such a genius?

Legend

User Info Menu

I think we're fairly solid across the board. We'll need to bring in a few FAs depending on who we let go to shore up the team. Likely an ILB, CB, OLB, NT, DE, WR and RB. Then we can focus on drafting BPA at any position to just make the team better in the long run.

I like McClendon and Arnfelt at DE. I'm excited to see Fangupo at NT and think we can be ok with some combo of McClendon, Woods, and Arnfelt playing NT until we get better.

I'd expect the team to bring back Foote for another season and hopefully someone plays well enough to beat him out. Otherwise, I'd bring in another vet.

I think we'll be ok at S with Troy + Allen/Golden. I really like Golden and think he's gonna surprise everyone in the long run. He plays the ball in the air better than most in our secondary. I think we can live with Ike, Gay, Tez for now and might have to find a mid tier backup to add to the mix.

I'd expect us to add a FA to replace Sanders and a complimentary back to pair with Bell. Maybe we add a backup OLineman or 2 and draw from Munchak's connections to improve that unit as well.

Then come draft time, it's BPA with an emphasis on D. Our biggest problem area is the DLine. Same as it was to start last season. We gotta get after the QB. We need some improved play in the front 7 and we're back in the playoffs and competing for #7.

Legend

User Info Menu

IMO, the greatest need is at ILB. Williams is a quality fill in...but I'm not sure he has what it takes to start. FS could be a real need if Golden isn't the answer.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think ILB could be solid this year if Foote returns healthy... Spence is the "X" factor. If this kid returns close to 100% then he may be a long term impact player. V.Williams... I saw some flashes with this kid later in the year... thinking this kid came into his own as he developed more of a comfort level with his assignments in this defense. Next year I could see Williams being solid. I also saw Terrance Garvin getting some reps later in the year. This kid has done an awesome job on special teams this year, and could come into the fold at some point.

Looking at the D-Line... I am torn between drafting a NT vs trying to develop what we have on the roster....Leaning towards trying to keep as much of what we have on the roster in place..and bringing Arnfeld, Fagupo, N.Williams, Woods into the fold.
    I think it would be a mistake letting Keisel go. Keeping him around at a modest price will allow us to have a veteran leader who is still playing solid football... will buy us another year to see if the above players mentioned can develop into a long term solution at some of those spots...and will allow us to draft other positions of need (DB, etc) in the draft.

Backup

User Info Menu

I'll go against the grain here... in today's salary cap NFL, you win by accentuating your strengths. If this season has shown me anything, it's that every team has weaknesses. The difference here is that by accentuating their strengths, these Steelers would go counter to 40 years of organizational philosophy by playing to the offense instead of the defense.

Ben has about 5 more good years left. The line gelled late last year. Bell ran the ball well and was a significant threat catching the ball out of the backfield, maybe impressing me more than any Steeler back in memory in that regard. If we're going to win now and not waste Ben, we have to let him carry us. To my way of thinking, then, we have to get him more weapons... I want a premier receiving threat across from Brown to create an effect like Denver's receiving corps with Thomas - Decker - Welker, something like Brown - Cotch - Evans. We need a solid second option at running back and a good second pass catching tight end on the third day of the draft.

The rest of the draft can be spent bringing in some adequate talent to fill holes on the defense. If the team is smart, the superlatives will be coming from the most expensive guy on the team... the one running the offensive side of the ballclub. Let's outscore some folks.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by B&GinNC View Post
    I'll go against the grain here... in today's salary cap NFL, you win by accentuating your strengths. If this season has shown me anything, it's that every team has weaknesses. The difference here is that by accentuating their strengths, these Steelers would go counter to 40 years of organizational philosophy by playing to the offense instead of the defense.

Ben has about 5 more good years left. The line gelled late last year. Bell ran the ball well and was a significant threat catching the ball out of the backfield, maybe impressing me more than any Steeler back in memory in that regard. If we're going to win now and not waste Ben, we have to let him carry us. To my way of thinking, then, we have to get him more weapons... I want a premier receiving threat across from Brown to create an effect like Denver's receiving corps with Thomas - Decker - Welker, something like Brown - Cotch - Evans. We need a solid second option at running back and a good second pass catching tight end on the third day of the draft.

The rest of the draft can be spent bringing in some adequate talent to fill holes on the defense. If the team is smart, the superlatives will be coming from the most expensive guy on the team... the one running the offensive side of the ballclub. Let's outscore some folks.
    I agree. DEFENSE and maybe a BIG TARGET in the Passing Game should be the focus.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

I will look at it differently, instead of each position, I will group the units.

Our defensive front will be in shambles with only one proven player left (Heyward), and he is really only proven over one season. We will need to upgrade DL.

Our LBs are a question mark, depending on what we do at LOLB. Timmons is a stud, and I expect Jones to improve over last year. I would think that we will have either Woodley or Worilds at LOLB, and the other gone. I don't count on Spence doing much after two years off, but it would be a nice surprise. LB not as big a need but could grab one if a true steal type falls.

We will need a FS and also a CB to groom. That assumes that both Ike and Troy return on a significantly reduced salary. Both are starters if they do, but aging. I see Shark as the heir apparent to Troy, and hope for Allen to take that step forward in order to reduce the need for a #1 CB. Steelers will have to love the pick for them to go CB early.

On the line, I can see the interior three already set. Not sure if it is Pouncey or Velasco, but one will be at C next season. OT is another matter but I can see the team counting on the improvement coming from coaching as much as players. Again, stud required for them to go OT.

WR/TE is another story. Somewhere they will be needing to upgrade these positions. They might be high on Wheaton, but in today's NFL you need pass catchers everywhere. I can see them grabbing a big WR or TE or both. Especially at TE where their only proven player is in the same boat as Troy - aging, injuries, and expensive, while heading into last year of his deal. Another player who I would not be surprised to see asked to accept a paycut.

To grade the needs in order, I'd say: DL, WR/TE, secondary, LB, OL.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I think we're fairly solid across the board. We'll need to bring in a few FAs depending on who we let go to shore up the team. Likely an ILB, CB, OLB, NT, DE, WR and RB. Then we can focus on drafting BPA at any position to just make the team better in the long run.

I like McClendon and Arnfelt at DE. I'm excited to see Fangupo at NT and think we can be ok with some combo of McClendon, Woods, and Arnfelt playing NT until we get better.

I'd expect the team to bring back Foote for another season and hopefully someone plays well enough to beat him out. Otherwise, I'd bring in another vet.

I think we'll be ok at S with Troy + Allen/Golden. I really like Golden and think he's gonna surprise everyone in the long run. He plays the ball in the air better than most in our secondary. I think we can live with Ike, Gay, Tez for now and might have to find a mid tier backup to add to the mix.

I'd expect us to add a FA to replace Sanders and a complimentary back to pair with Bell. Maybe we add a backup OLineman or 2 and draw from Munchak's connections to improve that unit as well.

Then come draft time, it's BPA with an emphasis on D. Our biggest problem area is the DLine. Same as it was to start last season. We gotta get after the QB. We need some improved play in the front 7 and we're back in the playoffs and competing for #7.
    Only problem with the above:

1.) Pgh refuses to sign more than 1 lower tier FA each year.
    2.) We have no cap space to do so, even after they restructure some deals.