Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WR Robert Herron Impresses Kevin Colbert at Senior Bowl Practice

Legend

User Info Menu

[URL]http://boltbeat.com/2014/01/21/san-diego-chargers-scout-meets-wyoming-wr-robert-herron/The[/URL]

Chargers are also taking a closer look at him

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Limas Sweed already proved to us that being a tall receiver doesn't mean jack squat.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    Limas Sweed already proved to us that being a tall receiver doesn't mean jack squat.
    Tall WRs tend to take a bit longer to adjust to the pro game. Sweed had all the tools to be great. I believe he just had some sort of mental break.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Sweed example can be erased by Burress example....As with every position draft debate. I'm good with the athletic pass catching TE too.

It isn't rocket science...This has been a fact since they put in the 5 yard rule. Just look at the Top 10 TD receiving leaders:
    1. 6'7"
    2. 6'3"
    3. 6'2"
    4. 6'3"
    5. 6'5"
    6. 6'4"
    7. 6'5"
    8. 6'3"
    9. 6'4"
    10. 6'3"

Cotchery was tied at 10 & he is 6'1". 7 WRs & 3 TE's in that group. I will leave it at that.

Here are the facts about big targets in redzone & anywhere on the field. It isn't about jump ball...It's about catching radius & trajectory. For example, when you are in the redzone, a pass does not have the ability to low point unless you have a passing lane. The QB has a difficult time throwing the WR open or protecting the WR after catch. With The DL & OL being a 6'3"-6'7" wall in front of him...With a 1-3 step drop...The pass over the middle has to come out high. The trajectory of the pass has to be a high point & Big body guys....Which include the big WR & TEs...Have the ability because of their stature to high point quicker & protect with body & catching radius. Simply Meaning...A big body player gives you a higher percentage throw in certain situations. That's what it equates to. One of those "situations" is getting the ball out in the face of a blitz at a 1 on 1 target. That's why you here the phrase "TE is the QB best friend".

Legend

User Info Menu

if he's picked in the 6th or later
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Legend

User Info Menu

We've had pretty good luck getting WRs later in the draft. Why not do it again? I still think WRs are a dime a dozen and the teams that use high picks on WRs usually don't become SuperBowl contenders because of it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I like Jordan Matthews of Vanderbilt in round 2.

6 ft 2 1/5 209 10.5 hands and a 33" reach. 94 and 112 receptions the past 2 years in the SEC.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    if he's picked in the 6th or later
    Yup. If they take another smurf receiver, I'd prefer for it to be late, and for the guy to have some explosive return ability.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    We've had pretty good luck getting WRs later in the draft. Why not do it again? I still think WRs are a dime a dozen and the teams that use high picks on WRs usually don't become SuperBowl contenders because of it.

I don't know if I agree with that Flip. Again, we can always find the "left & right" of a debate on position drafting. Last 5 Superbowls had 9-1st round picks, 12-2nd round picks, & 8-3rd round picks playing in them at WR. TEs were 5-1st, 2-2nds, & 6-3rds. Don't forget the dynamics of the situation too. If you are sitting high in the draft to take that elite prospect at WR...95% of the time you are there because you had a losing record or didn't make the playoffs. I don't think it has to do with the position as much as the Rams, Jags, Cards, & Raiders etc being the teams that takes the top rated receiver off the board in the Top 10. The theory of the curse of continually drafting high. They should lottery the 1st round & make things interesting.

You take the last 10 drafts...It is all over the board at WR. You have Holmes-1st, Wallace-3rd, Sanders-3rd, & Brown-6th that turned into something. You also have Sweed-2nd, Reid-3rd, Gibson-4th, Baker-7th, & Clemons-7th were busts. Jury out on Wheaton-3rd & J Brown-6th. If I am overly optimistic...The Steelers don't draft a WR inside the 1st two rounds because they think Wheaton can be a #2 & J Brown will be the possession guy like Cotchery. The Steelers know what they have because of what happens in practice & in the classroom. We are left judging by what we didn't see on the field in the regular season. It is easy to say given what we didn't see....The Steelers are in trouble when Sanders leaves even if they retain Cotchery. If I'm being optimistic & basing the situation on what Wheaton & Brown put on tape in college...We could be alright by adding a mid rounder or two. The concern is college tape doesn't translate to NFL as easy at skill positions...You want to see it in game before you believe it.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If Colbert is outwardly praising this guy, it means he doesn't plan on trying to draft him. All these guys are wanna be poker players.