Thread: WR Robert Herron Impresses Kevin Colbert at Senior Bowl Practice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Legend

User Info Menu

WR Robert Herron Impresses Kevin Colbert at Senior Bowl Practice

Wire: Robert Herron Impresses Kevin Colbert at Senior Bowl Practice

BY DOMINIC DI TOLLA - JAN 21ST, 2014

Like most NFL general managers, Kevin Colbert is in Mobile, Alabama scouting some of the NCAA’s best players at the Senior Bowl. According to Coy Wire of FOX Sports.com, Pittsburgh’s general manager was particularly impressed with the play of former Wyoming wide receiver Robert Herron.

It does not surprise me that a player of with Herron’s skill-set made such a positive impression on Colbert. In fact, I mentioned earlier today how most of Pittsburgh’s best wide receivers over the last decade have been guys that have lacked elite size (6’2″+ and 210+ lbs.)

Despite his generally smaller frame (5’9″ 193 lbs.), Herron can be a threat to line up and do damage both inside and outside the numbers. Moreover, his shiftiness allows a player of his stature to burst off of the line of scrimmage and get into his pass-patterns against larger-framed defensive backs.

A weapon who can burn teams underneath and vertically, the smurfish yet dangerous Herron might very well fit the mold of 6′-and-under wide receivers who have been the backbone of the Steelers’ passing game in recent seasons.

A terrific athlete, Herron was actually a running back for most of his freshman season (40 carries for 235 yards) with the Cowboys. After two seasons spent as Wyoming’s premier deep-threat (2011-2012: 74 catches, 1,036 yards and 11 touchdowns), Herron broke out in a big way last fall when he posted career-highs in catches (73), receiving yards (972) and touchdown receptions (9).

As a San Diego State fan, I certainly remember how Herron proved to be quite the nuisance for the Aztecs’ defense when both teams met in Laramie back in 2012.

Although SDSU emerged victorious by a score of 42-28, Herron posted 10 catches, 187 yards and two touchdowns in a losing effort. Incredibly enough, Herron probably could have had one more touchdown catch in that game had Brett Smith not misfired a deep ball which should have resulted in six points.

As it stands, it certainly looks like Herron has Pittsburgh’s general manager intrigued with his play so far in Mobile. Most of all, I am interested to see how much Herron can improve his draft stock over the course of this week and during his pre-draft workout sessions.

[URL]http://nicepickcowher.com/2014/01/21/wire-robert-herron-impresses-kevin-colbert-senior-bowl-practice/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

FordFixer will like this!
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Backup

User Info Menu

(Slaps forehead) Does anyone else find it odd how we keep getting smaller and smaller and or leaner at LB and WR ? I thought about as much as i watched Seattle and San francisco like,...."Damn,.. we look and play weaker (Even as a team) than i ever remember in my lifetime "
    Last edited by Rod Polamalu; 01-23-2014 at 12:45 AM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Has he done punts or kickoffs? Like that he was a RB also. Man will a bunch of Steeler nation have a cow with all the smurf WR's if he was picked. I on the other hand like these type of WR's.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    Has he done punts or kickoffs? Like that he was a RB also. Man will a bunch of Steeler nation have a cow with all the smurf WR's if he was picked. I on the other hand like these type of WR's.
    I don't think Ben is as enamored with the idea of a bunch of smurfs as you.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

That's why we should go after someone like Mike Evans in the first...But I'm not complaining to get another Antonio Brown molded player!
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

What the he11 are people complaining about, if our GM sees potential diamonds in the rough? I swear, the "big WR" Steeler fans must think big WRs grow on trees. These guys are comparatively rarer, and most are picked by teams with more of a need.

This guy would be all about value. What is wrong with value?

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    What the he11 are people complaining about, if our GM sees potential diamonds in the rough? I swear, the "big WR" Steeler fans must think big WRs grow on trees. These guys are comparatively rarer, and most are picked by teams with more of a need.

This guy would be all about value. What is wrong with value?
    I take it you are vertically challenged Shoe ? lol

Legend

User Info Menu

Don't need a big WR you you get a big, athletic pass catching TE like Ebron, Amaro or Serafin-Jenkins.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

heck, the WR wouldn't have to be a "BIG" WR for me ... any receiver we brought in over 6ft would dang near be a giant at the position on this team. But dang, can we at least have another Miller type? Even if it's a developmental guy?