Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vince Williams: 'It was a brand new experience'

As a rookie, Foote played in 14 games, starting 3 and had 20 total tackles...

Williams played in 15 games, started 11 and had 40 total tackles...

Of course, they played two different positions...Foote didn't start 11 games until his third year...by then, he had three years in the system...

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    I would say that he was better than Foote this year (he was actually on the field), and there is a good chance he will be better than Foote next year. Foote is an older LB/player trying to return from significant injury.
    Considering the kid is willing to work to be better at pass pro and is a heckuva run stuffer, there is a chance he will prove to be more than a lesser version of Foote. Anyway, won't hurt to hope and support while he's on the team.
    My point is just like we needed a better player than Foote to team with Farrior, we need a better player than Williams or Foote to team with Timmons. Timmons is our only real impact player on this defense and we need someone who can free him up to do all that he is capable of doing.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    My point is just like we needed a better player than Foote to team with Farrior, we need a better player than Williams or Foote to team with Timmons. Timmons is our only real impact player on this defense and we need someone who can free him up to do all that he is capable of doing.
    I think the Steelers agree with you. But that plan with Spence got derailed. I think with the VW pick and with his play this season that Spence gets this coming season to show something in camp and hopefully real games. VW will get to show he has more game also I think.

Williams: ‘I can focus on my craft and get better’

Teresa Varley
    Steelers.com

Second year player Vince Williams is taking part in his first full offseason program with the Steelers, which began last week with Phase One of the program.

Williams understands the importance of being involved, arriving even weeks earlier than the voluntary program started so he could use the weight room and be prepared.

Williams shared his thoughts on a variety of subjects, including how much he has grown since his rookie season.

On what it was like to have time off after a long rookie season: “I don’t think there is an offseason. Once you get in it you realize if you want to be the kind of player you want to be, and be elite, you don’t have the opportunity to be off. I took advantage of having that time to know what I need to work on for the season and tried to get better in those areas.”

On his thoughts of the turnout of players at the offseason program: “Everyone understands what we are trying to accomplish. You want the Super Bowl. I think everyone feels the importance of that. This year we want to make an impact. I think the whole team really feels the importance of that.”

On having defensive assistant Joey Porter now as a point of reference: “I am thinking about renting out one of the rooms in his house and learning everything from him. I want to be baby Joey Porter. He played outside, but I want to learn as much as I can from him.”

On having the full offseason program to take advantage of: “Last year when we came in we were rookies and thrust into it. Now we are understanding how it goes. It’s not like I am in a panic or rush. I can focus on my craft and get better.”

On how different he is football-wise now vs. this time last year: “I feel like it’s light years difference, just the understanding I have from being under Coach (Dick) LeBeau. Just my understanding of the 3-4 and my role in it is tremendous. Going back and watching film I think if I knew then what I know today…the plays I could have made. But watching film and going back through with the understanding you can see that you have grown so much.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...d-1cafaa9819a9

Legend
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    If he can get better play from the NT, keep him free of the trash at the LOS, Williams will be fine. Not sure why everyone was down on him, but couldn't see him & Timmons facing OG's running free past the LOS. The guys up front didn't do their job properly. Judging Williams without casting your eye over the guys paid to keep him free seems unfair.
    Schiavone's Race Career:

Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

Prizemoney- $28,050.00

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    If he can get better play from the NT, keep him free of the trash at the LOS, Williams will be fine. Not sure why everyone was down on him, but couldn't see him & Timmons facing OG's running free past the LOS. The guys up front didn't do their job properly. Judging Williams without casting your eye over the guys paid to keep him free seems unfair.
    This is crucial. I have come full circle on this. I started with Nix as my love child in the first. I no longer want that but we must find an anchor...somewhere in this draft.

On the Steelers: Vince Williams fights to regain inside edge at linebacker

June 6, 2014
    By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers rookie Vince Williams is competing for a spot at linebacker after a solid rookie season last year.

Vince Williams, by all accounts, had a representative rookie season for the Steelers. He started 11 games, more than first-round pick Jarvis Jones. He was ranked among the top 30 inside linebackers in the NFL by Pro Football Focus, just one spot behind teammate Lawrence Timmons at No. 26.

All things considered, he had to be feeling pretty good heading into his second season.

At least until the NFL draft happened.

The Steelers used two of their nine draft choices on inside linebackers, including the No. 15 overall pick on Ohio State's Ryan Shazier.

But that wasn't the worst part of the offseason for Williams. That came last week when Shazier lined up with the first-team defense in the first week of spring workouts without so much as a staged competition to knock Williams from his starting job.

"I'm not really disappointed because I understand there will always be competition here," Williams said. "Whether it was going to be [Sean] Spence coming back or even [Larry] Foote coming back before he got cut. I always knew there would be competition.

"Even last year, we had 17 or 18 linebackers when I was drafted. There will always be competition at the linebacker spot, and I embrace it."

Williams has gone from starter to someone who will battle for a roster spot later this summer at training camp.

Spence, who missed the past two seasons with a knee injury, is participating in OTAs and is expected to be a full participant in training camp. Terence Garvin made the 53-man roster as an undrafted free agent last season and Jordan Zumwalt, a sixth-round pick from UCLA, will be in contention to make the team as well.

"We are going to have some great competition at inside linebacker," said linebackers coach Keith Butler.

Williams, a sixth-round pick last year out of Florida State, has something the others do not: starting experience in the NFL.

Williams finished last season with 53 tackles, eighth most on the team. He played 405 defensive snaps.

"It was great," Williams said. "I could feel it getting better gradually. It gave me a big boost coming into this year. Now I've been out there. I've had the feel against real NFL competition, so I feel like a lot of things are slowing down now."

The Steelers turned to Williams as the starter last season after Foote was lost for the season. Veteran Kion Wilson started the next two games, but Williams supplanted him in the starting lineup by the fourth week and held onto the job for the remainder of the season.

In the offseason he studied every play of his rookie year and hopes the visual of re-watching the games will help in his progression from year one to year two in the NFL.

"Having a year's worth of film and to be able to go back over and watch it and understand why you made those mistakes, that's been really beneficial," he said.

Williams has been working with Spence on the second-team defense behind Shazier and Timmons. Garvin has been working with the third-team. Zumwalt is likely to receive third-team reps as well when he reports to the team after the UCLA school year is complete.

Competing for roster spots is an annual ritual for all NFL players, but especially for lower-round picks such as Williams, the No. 206 overall selection in 2013.

Teams attempt to improve their roster every year by signing free agents and drafting players. Williams knows what he is facing in his second season is simply life in the NFL.

"That's just how it is," he said. "That's how it goes."

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/2...#ixzz33vLZlHsG

Hall of Famer
    Uhh, the Steelers 6th rd pick last season had a statistically better season than their 1st rd pick.... just sayin.