Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ed Reynolds, FS, Stanford

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Ed Reynolds, FS, Stanford

Reynolds declaring for the draft prior to the deadline made a pretty bad safety class looks like It could end up being pretty solid in the Mid-late first and second rounds. Reynolds is currently my 3rd Ranked safety after Clinton-Dix and Calvin Pryor.

Reynolds may very well be a slam dunk steelers pick if he is sitting there in the second round. At 6-2 205 he comes in as a long centerfielder with excellent ball skills, recovery speed, and return ability. The steelers should not retain ryan clark so FS becomes an immediate need for them with Shamarko thomas having decent NB coverage skills but the overall skill set of a more in the box SS.

Reynolds is a very iffy tackler in my opinion, he excels in making big plays and is excellent in coverage but at this point hes not the best tackler and not very good in run support. One thing about that is the steelers dont let DBs get off with missing tackling drills. Ike Taylor, Keenan Lewis, William Gay, and Ryan clark are among some of the best tackling defensive backs in the league because it is something that is worked on constantly, a pretty underrated aspect of the steelers defense over the last decade.

All in all he is a very smart and instinctive player, needs to get stronger and more physical but that is something that can be improved on. I would be excited about the future tandem of Reynolds and Shamarko.

Lets take the rangy centerfield FS that will allow a big more press from the corners and move on from the head hunting FS's they have had with Hope and Clark. Reynolds football IQ is off the charts and he can recognize the play very well, tackling can be corrected.

Legend

User Info Menu

It's interesting that a lot of teams picking in the same area as the Steelers have similar needs. I did a quick search for information on Reynolds and a link to a Jets site was one of the first hits. The Jets could also use a ballhawking safety. And, like the Steelers and Ravens, the Jets could use a WR.

Will be interesting to see how things unfold on draft day.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I like hakeem smith as a sleeper FS pick.

maybe 5th-6th round

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Reynolds declaring for the draft prior to the deadline made a pretty bad safety class looks like It could end up being pretty solid in the Mid-late first and second rounds. Reynolds is currently my 3rd Ranked safety after Clinton-Dix and Calvin Pryor.

Reynolds may very well be a slam dunk steelers pick if he is sitting there in the second round. At 6-2 205 he comes in as a long centerfielder with excellent ball skills, recovery speed, and return ability. The steelers should not retain ryan clark so FS becomes an immediate need for them with Shamarko thomas having decent NB coverage skills but the overall skill set of a more in the box SS.

Reynolds is a very iffy tackler in my opinion, he excels in making big plays and is excellent in coverage but at this point hes not the best tackler and not very good in run support. One thing about that is the steelers dont let DBs get off with missing tackling drills. Ike Taylor, Keenan Lewis, William Gay, and Ryan clark are among some of the best tackling defensive backs in the league because it is something that is worked on constantly, a pretty underrated aspect of the steelers defense over the last decade.

All in all he is a very smart and instinctive player, needs to get stronger and more physical but that is something that can be improved on. I would be excited about the future tandem of Reynolds and Shamarko.

Lets take the rangy centerfield FS that will allow a big more press from the corners and move on from the head hunting FS's they have had with Hope and Clark. Reynolds football IQ is off the charts and he can recognize the play very well, tackling can be corrected.

If he isn't a solid tackler and good in run support the Steelers won't be interested. Those skills are kinda minimum qualifications to play safety for the Steelers. Unfortunately we saw way too much poor tackling this past season. Don't think they will be looking for more.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    It's interesting that a lot of teams picking in the same area as the Steelers have similar needs. I did a quick search for information on Reynolds and a link to a Jets site was one of the first hits. The Jets could also use a ballhawking safety. And, like the Steelers and Ravens, the Jets could use a WR.

Will be interesting to see how things unfold on draft day.
    The Bears who pick right before us, have similar DB needs. They definitely could use a Safety AND a Corner. That could bite us in the 2nd or 3rd.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I like Dion Bailey or Craig Loston in the 4th or 5th.
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rara View Post
    I like Dion Bailey or Craig Loston in the 4th or 5th.
    But not enough to include him in your mock draft?

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Backup

User Info Menu

I'm liking Deone Bucannon from Washington State in the third if he falls that far; which I don't think he will, but one can dream. I'd be real tempted to take him in the second depending on who/what position we took in the first.

[URL="http://www.cougcenter.com/wsu-cougars-football/2014/1/21/5330110/deone-bucannon-nfl-draft-profile-senior-bowl-2014-wsu-washington-state"]http://www.cougcenter.com/wsu-cougars-football/2014/1/21/5330110/deone-bucannon-nfl-draft-profile-senior-bowl-2014-wsu-washington-state[/URL]
    Last edited by SteelBuckeye; 01-22-2014 at 11:20 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    If he isn't a solid tackler and good in run support the Steelers won't be interested. Those skills are kinda minimum qualifications to play safety for the Steelers. Unfortunately we saw way too much poor tackling this past season. Don't think they will be looking for more.
    I agree completely, the Steelers value DBs who are good tacklers because of our defensive philosophy of "tackling the catch."
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/40709-Steelers-2014-Draft-A-look-ahead?highlight=Reynolds[/url]
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash