Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38

Thread: Ed Reynolds, FS, Stanford

  1. #1
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,270

    Ed Reynolds, FS, Stanford

    Reynolds declaring for the draft prior to the deadline made a pretty bad safety class looks like It could end up being pretty solid in the Mid-late first and second rounds. Reynolds is currently my 3rd Ranked safety after Clinton-Dix and Calvin Pryor.

    Reynolds may very well be a slam dunk steelers pick if he is sitting there in the second round. At 6-2 205 he comes in as a long centerfielder with excellent ball skills, recovery speed, and return ability. The steelers should not retain ryan clark so FS becomes an immediate need for them with Shamarko thomas having decent NB coverage skills but the overall skill set of a more in the box SS.

    Reynolds is a very iffy tackler in my opinion, he excels in making big plays and is excellent in coverage but at this point hes not the best tackler and not very good in run support. One thing about that is the steelers dont let DBs get off with missing tackling drills. Ike Taylor, Keenan Lewis, William Gay, and Ryan clark are among some of the best tackling defensive backs in the league because it is something that is worked on constantly, a pretty underrated aspect of the steelers defense over the last decade.

    All in all he is a very smart and instinctive player, needs to get stronger and more physical but that is something that can be improved on. I would be excited about the future tandem of Reynolds and Shamarko.

    Lets take the rangy centerfield FS that will allow a big more press from the corners and move on from the head hunting FS's they have had with Hope and Clark. Reynolds football IQ is off the charts and he can recognize the play very well, tackling can be corrected.

  2. #2
    It's interesting that a lot of teams picking in the same area as the Steelers have similar needs. I did a quick search for information on Reynolds and a link to a Jets site was one of the first hits. The Jets could also use a ballhawking safety. And, like the Steelers and Ravens, the Jets could use a WR.

    Will be interesting to see how things unfold on draft day.

  3. #3
    I like hakeem smith as a sleeper FS pick.

    maybe 5th-6th round

  4. #4
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,280
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Reynolds declaring for the draft prior to the deadline made a pretty bad safety class looks like It could end up being pretty solid in the Mid-late first and second rounds. Reynolds is currently my 3rd Ranked safety after Clinton-Dix and Calvin Pryor.

    Reynolds may very well be a slam dunk steelers pick if he is sitting there in the second round. At 6-2 205 he comes in as a long centerfielder with excellent ball skills, recovery speed, and return ability. The steelers should not retain ryan clark so FS becomes an immediate need for them with Shamarko thomas having decent NB coverage skills but the overall skill set of a more in the box SS.

    Reynolds is a very iffy tackler in my opinion, he excels in making big plays and is excellent in coverage but at this point hes not the best tackler and not very good in run support. One thing about that is the steelers dont let DBs get off with missing tackling drills. Ike Taylor, Keenan Lewis, William Gay, and Ryan clark are among some of the best tackling defensive backs in the league because it is something that is worked on constantly, a pretty underrated aspect of the steelers defense over the last decade.

    All in all he is a very smart and instinctive player, needs to get stronger and more physical but that is something that can be improved on. I would be excited about the future tandem of Reynolds and Shamarko.

    Lets take the rangy centerfield FS that will allow a big more press from the corners and move on from the head hunting FS's they have had with Hope and Clark. Reynolds football IQ is off the charts and he can recognize the play very well, tackling can be corrected.

    If he isn't a solid tackler and good in run support the Steelers won't be interested. Those skills are kinda minimum qualifications to play safety for the Steelers. Unfortunately we saw way too much poor tackling this past season. Don't think they will be looking for more.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  5. #5
    Pro Bowler thor75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Greeley, CO
    Posts
    1,032
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    It's interesting that a lot of teams picking in the same area as the Steelers have similar needs. I did a quick search for information on Reynolds and a link to a Jets site was one of the first hits. The Jets could also use a ballhawking safety. And, like the Steelers and Ravens, the Jets could use a WR.

    Will be interesting to see how things unfold on draft day.
    The Bears who pick right before us, have similar DB needs. They definitely could use a Safety AND a Corner. That could bite us in the 2nd or 3rd.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

  6. #6
    Backup Rara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    471
    I like Dion Bailey or Craig Loston in the 4th or 5th.
    Round 1, Pick 15 (15)- Ryan Shazier, ILB; Ohio State
    Round 2, Pick 14 (46)- Stephon Tuitt, DE; Notre Dame
    Round 3b, Pick 33 (97)- Dri Archer, RB; Kent State
    Round 4, Pick 18 (118 )- Martavis Bryant, WR; Clemson
    Round 5, Pick 17 (157)- Shaquille Richardson, CB; Arizona
    Round 5b, Pick 33 (173)- Wesley Johnson, OT; Vanderbilt
    Round 6, Pick 16 (192)- Jordan Zumwalt, OLB; UCLA
    Round 6b, Pick 39 (215)- Daniel McCullers, DT; Tennessee
    Round 7, Pick 15 (230)- Rob Branchflower, TE; Massachusetts

  7. #7
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    6,940
    Quote Originally Posted by Rara View Post
    I like Dion Bailey or Craig Loston in the 4th or 5th.
    But not enough to include him in your mock draft?

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  8. #8
    I'm liking Deone Bucannon from Washington State in the third if he falls that far; which I don't think he will, but one can dream. I'd be real tempted to take him in the second depending on who/what position we took in the first.

    http://www.cougcenter.com/wsu-cougar...shington-state
    Last edited by SteelBuckeye; 01-22-2014 at 10:20 PM.

  9. #9
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    14,976
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    If he isn't a solid tackler and good in run support the Steelers won't be interested. Those skills are kinda minimum qualifications to play safety for the Steelers. Unfortunately we saw way too much poor tackling this past season. Don't think they will be looking for more.
    I agree completely, the Steelers value DBs who are good tacklers because of our defensive philosophy of "tackling the catch."

  10. #10
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,573
    Steelers 2014 Draft

    1-Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    2-Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-Jordan Tripp ILB/OLB Montana
    4-Christian Jones ILB Florida State
    5-Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5-Michael Schofield OG/OT Michigan
    6-Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
    6-Ben Gardner DE Stanford
    7-Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •