Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38

Thread: Ed Reynolds, FS, Stanford

  1. #1

    Ed Reynolds, FS, Stanford

    Reynolds declaring for the draft prior to the deadline made a pretty bad safety class looks like It could end up being pretty solid in the Mid-late first and second rounds. Reynolds is currently my 3rd Ranked safety after Clinton-Dix and Calvin Pryor.

    Reynolds may very well be a slam dunk steelers pick if he is sitting there in the second round. At 6-2 205 he comes in as a long centerfielder with excellent ball skills, recovery speed, and return ability. The steelers should not retain ryan clark so FS becomes an immediate need for them with Shamarko thomas having decent NB coverage skills but the overall skill set of a more in the box SS.

    Reynolds is a very iffy tackler in my opinion, he excels in making big plays and is excellent in coverage but at this point hes not the best tackler and not very good in run support. One thing about that is the steelers dont let DBs get off with missing tackling drills. Ike Taylor, Keenan Lewis, William Gay, and Ryan clark are among some of the best tackling defensive backs in the league because it is something that is worked on constantly, a pretty underrated aspect of the steelers defense over the last decade.

    All in all he is a very smart and instinctive player, needs to get stronger and more physical but that is something that can be improved on. I would be excited about the future tandem of Reynolds and Shamarko.

    Lets take the rangy centerfield FS that will allow a big more press from the corners and move on from the head hunting FS's they have had with Hope and Clark. Reynolds football IQ is off the charts and he can recognize the play very well, tackling can be corrected.

  2. #2
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,939
    It's interesting that a lot of teams picking in the same area as the Steelers have similar needs. I did a quick search for information on Reynolds and a link to a Jets site was one of the first hits. The Jets could also use a ballhawking safety. And, like the Steelers and Ravens, the Jets could use a WR.

    Will be interesting to see how things unfold on draft day.

  3. #3
    I like hakeem smith as a sleeper FS pick.

    maybe 5th-6th round

  4. #4
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,837
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Reynolds declaring for the draft prior to the deadline made a pretty bad safety class looks like It could end up being pretty solid in the Mid-late first and second rounds. Reynolds is currently my 3rd Ranked safety after Clinton-Dix and Calvin Pryor.

    Reynolds may very well be a slam dunk steelers pick if he is sitting there in the second round. At 6-2 205 he comes in as a long centerfielder with excellent ball skills, recovery speed, and return ability. The steelers should not retain ryan clark so FS becomes an immediate need for them with Shamarko thomas having decent NB coverage skills but the overall skill set of a more in the box SS.

    Reynolds is a very iffy tackler in my opinion, he excels in making big plays and is excellent in coverage but at this point hes not the best tackler and not very good in run support. One thing about that is the steelers dont let DBs get off with missing tackling drills. Ike Taylor, Keenan Lewis, William Gay, and Ryan clark are among some of the best tackling defensive backs in the league because it is something that is worked on constantly, a pretty underrated aspect of the steelers defense over the last decade.

    All in all he is a very smart and instinctive player, needs to get stronger and more physical but that is something that can be improved on. I would be excited about the future tandem of Reynolds and Shamarko.

    Lets take the rangy centerfield FS that will allow a big more press from the corners and move on from the head hunting FS's they have had with Hope and Clark. Reynolds football IQ is off the charts and he can recognize the play very well, tackling can be corrected.

    If he isn't a solid tackler and good in run support the Steelers won't be interested. Those skills are kinda minimum qualifications to play safety for the Steelers. Unfortunately we saw way too much poor tackling this past season. Don't think they will be looking for more.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

    2014 Draft

    1. Eric Ebron, TE
    2. Calvin Pryor, S
    3 (Comp). Jaylen Watkins, CB
    4. Justin Ellis, DT/NT
    5a. Brandon Coleman, WR
    5b. Brent Urban, DE
    6. Prince Shembo, OLB
    7a. Aaron Colvin, CB
    7b. Storm Johnson, RB

  5. #5
    Starter thor75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Greeley, CO
    Posts
    958
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    It's interesting that a lot of teams picking in the same area as the Steelers have similar needs. I did a quick search for information on Reynolds and a link to a Jets site was one of the first hits. The Jets could also use a ballhawking safety. And, like the Steelers and Ravens, the Jets could use a WR.

    Will be interesting to see how things unfold on draft day.
    The Bears who pick right before us, have similar DB needs. They definitely could use a Safety AND a Corner. That could bite us in the 2nd or 3rd.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Kenny Ladler FS Vanderbilt
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech or Jordan Tripp LB Montana
    6. Ricardo Allen CB Purdue
    6. (comp) Andrew Jackson ILB W. Kentucky
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

  6. #6
    Backup Rara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    373
    I like Dion Bailey or Craig Loston in the 4th or 5th.
    Rara's 2014 NFL Mock Draft
    Round 1. Darqueze Dennard, CB; Michigan State
    Round 2. Stephon Tuitt, DE; Notre Dame
    Round 3a. TRADED
    Round 3b. Donte Moncrief, WR; Ole Miss
    Round 4. C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE; Iowa
    Round 5a. Ryan Carrethers, DT; Arkansas State
    Round 5b. Ryan Groy, OG; Wisconsin
    Round 6a. E.J. Gaines, CB; Missouri
    Round 6b. Trevor Reilly, OLB; Utah
    Round 7. Anthony Fera, K; Texas

  7. #7
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    6,635
    Quote Originally Posted by Rara View Post
    I like Dion Bailey or Craig Loston in the 4th or 5th.
    But not enough to include him in your mock draft?

    Pappy


    1.15) Ra'Shede Hageman - DE
    2.47) Jason Verrett - CB
    3.97) CJ Fiedorowicz - TE
    4.114) Brandon Coleman - WR
    5.145) Lamin Barrow - ILB
    5.173) Terrance Mitchell - CB
    6.176)
    7.207) Jay Bromley - DT
    7.215)

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  8. #8
    I'm liking Deone Bucannon from Washington State in the third if he falls that far; which I don't think he will, but one can dream. I'd be real tempted to take him in the second depending on who/what position we took in the first.

    http://www.cougcenter.com/wsu-cougar...shington-state
    Last edited by SteelBuckeye; 01-22-2014 at 10:20 PM.

  9. #9
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    14,128
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    If he isn't a solid tackler and good in run support the Steelers won't be interested. Those skills are kinda minimum qualifications to play safety for the Steelers. Unfortunately we saw way too much poor tackling this past season. Don't think they will be looking for more.
    I agree completely, the Steelers value DBs who are good tacklers because of our defensive philosophy of "tackling the catch."

  10. #10
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,535


    Steelers 2014 Draft

    1--Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma State
    2--Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-- -- Traded --
    3B--C.J. Fiedorwicz TE Iowa
    4--Jordan Tripp ILB Montana
    5--Brent Urban DE Virginia
    6--Michael Schofield OT Michigan
    7--Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State









Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •