Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gay was Steelers best CB in 2013

Legend

User Info Menu

Gay was Steelers best CB in 2013

This season was a surprising one for the Pittsburgh Steelers cornerbacks. No. 1 cornerback Ike Taylor had a lackluster season, following his very good campaign in 2012. Cortez Allen was expected to have a breakout season, but that surely did not happen. Allen ended up playing behind William Gay for most of the year.

After the conclusion of the 2011 NFL season, Gay jetted out west to play for the Arizona Cardinals. He spent the 2012 season in Arizona, where he had a mediocre campaign. Then, Gay signed back with the Steelers during the offseason in 2013.

When Gay was signed, many Steelers fans were disgusted. Gay had always been ridiculed by the Steelers faithful. But after the season he had in 2013, fans can’t have much bad to say about him. This year, Gay put together a better season than any other Steelers corner.

In 2013, when throwing in Gay’s direction, quarterbacks averaged a rating of 72.9 according to Pro Football Focus. Gay has always been fine at wrapping up the receiver after the catch, and he proved that again in 2013. When receivers caught the ball against Gay, he only allowed a 9.5 yards per catch average, ranking him in the top 10 of cornerbacks. Furthermore, Gay only allowed one touchdown reception over the course of the entire 2013 season.

Taylor and Allen’s numbers play short in comparison to Gay. Allen allowed five touchdown catches, and Taylor allowed six. Taylor and Allen both allowed receptions of 50 yards or more, while Gay’s longest allowed reception was 31 yards.

It will be interesting to see if Gay can keep up the good work in 2014. The cornerback position will be one of the most intriguing aspects of the Steelers this year. The past season surely was a rather bewildering year for the Steelers’ cornerbacks.

[url]http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2014/01/25/william-gay-was-surprisingly-best-cornerback-for-pittsburgh-steelers-in-2013/?EoyhzxJUlto5ML4q.99[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

nice read. In 100% agreement.

Legend

User Info Menu

The good news is that Gay was the Steelers best cornerback in 2013, the bad news is that Gay was the Steelers best cornerback in 2013. This position should be 1.15 and at worst 2.47, IMO, and potentially a later round as well.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

But of course, Gay was typically lined up against the other team's No. 3 or worse WR.......

Administrator

User Info Menu

I'm sure glad Ike is set to make another 10 mil next season....

He's Rooney's friend and Ike keeps himself in top tier shape..... The problem is that Ike still hasn't found himself the fountain of youth.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

But was Gay in a match up against the opponents best WR or their 2nd or even 3rd best. I think it was more the latter which could skew some of these statistics.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    But of course, Gay was typically lined up against the other team's No. 3 or worse WR.......
    That is the point that is so often overlooked when it comes to ranking CBs, and one of the reasons why I believe that Taylor has been underrated both by Steeler fans and leaguewide.

While Gay was also locked up with #2 receivers, there is a huge gap between the assignments of Megatron vs. Nate Burleson, or AJ Green vs. Marvin Jones.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    The good news is that Gay was the Steelers best cornerback in 2013, the bad news is that Gay was the Steelers best cornerback in 2013. This position should be 1.15 and at worst 2.47, IMO, and potentially a later round as well.

Pappy
    I would agree with your draft suggestion...and would add that it has more to do with Ike's declining play than William Gay.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    But was Gay in a match up against the opponents best WR or their 2nd or even 3rd best. I think it was more the latter which could skew some of these statistics.
    I believe Ike started seeing a lot of 2's this year as well..

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    I would agree with your draft suggestion...and would add that it has more to do with Ike's declining play than William Gay.
    I concur about Ike; I was attempting to add a little humor to the post by adding the good news/bad news about Gay. Gay is good to have around to do exactly what he did this past year, hopefully, Allen steps up and a top CB is drafted in May.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount