Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ravens to Interview RB's Coach Kirby Wilson for OC Position

Legend

User Info Menu

Ravens to Interview RB's Coach Kirby Wilson for OC Position

To this point, the Pittsburgh Steelers coaching staff has only seen self-inflicted wounds, keeping Keith Butler, while losing only fired offensive line coach Jack Bicknell Jr. That could all change this week, as word came out on Tuesday that running backs coach Kirby Wilson was one of four in-line to become offensive coordinator with the Baltimore Ravens.

This promotion would not be a surprise, as Wilson would have likely been promoted too offensive coordinator for the Steelers had he not suffered major burns in a house fire prior to the hiring of Todd Haley. Joining Wilson as a finalist to replace Jim Caldwell are Scott Linehan, Kyle Shanahan, and in-house candidate Jim Hostler.

It is somewhat of surprise to see the Steelers grant permission for one of their coaches to interview with a division rival, even for a promotion. Although, they do have a history of allowing coaches to pursue promotions outdone the organization.

Wilson was one of head coach Mike Tomlins' first hires in Pittsburgh and has done a great job as an offensive assistant. More importantly for the Ravens, he may have what they need to get their struggling rushing attack back in gear. The once solid running game finished 30th in the league in 2013 (83.0 yards per game) and a league worst 3.1 yards per carry.

[url]http://www.sportsmedia101.com/pittsburghsteelers/2014/01/21/baltimore-ravens-to-interview-running-backs-coach-kirby-wilson-for-offensive-coordinator-position/[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

ratbirds, please hire him
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Legend

User Info Menu

Kirby Wilson will get a second interview with Ravens on Friday

Pittsburgh Steelers running backs coach Kirby Wilson and former Washington Redskins offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan have been granted second interviews for the Ravens' offensive coordinator position.

Wilson is due back at the Under Armour Performance Center for another interview on Friday, a team source confirmed. The development was first reported by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

One source described Wilson as a "very serious candidate."

The Ravens are interviewing Shanahan for the second time today, according to a source.

Shanahan interviewed on Jan. 15 after former Ravens offensive coordinator Jim Caldwell was hired by the Detroit Lions as their head coach.

Shanahan, 34, had an impressive interview, according to several sources. He was recommended to the Ravens by at least one NFL head coach.

Ravens wide receivers coach Jim Hostler remains a strong internal candidate who's still under heavy consideration for the job, according to multiple sources.
    Hostler met with team officials again today.

The Ravens have interviewed other candidates, including former Detroit Lions offensive coordinator Scott Linehan. Linehan hasn't been scheduled for a second interview at this time and isn't a finalist for the vacancy, according to a source.

Head coach John Harbaugh is leading the search for a replacement for Caldwell, but he is expected to get input from members of the Ravens' front office.

Some of the team’s top executives, including general manager Ozzie Newsome and assistant general manager Eric DeCosta, had been at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., earlier in the week while Harbaugh has been conducting the interviews at the team facility.

The Ravens have given no definitive timetable for making the hire, though Harbaugh told the team website that he did not want the process to go on much longer.

While it’s not impossible that another name could surface, Hostler, Shanahan and Wilson have emerged as the three most likely candidates to replace Jim Caldwell, who left the Ravens to become the head coach of the Detroit Lions earlier this month.

Wilson, 52, is the only one of the four who does not have NFL offensive coordinator experience. However, he’s coached in the league for 16 seasons and has been with the Steelers for the past seven. He’s known for his passionate and vocal coaching style.

"Kirby feels very good about it and would do an excellent job for the Ravens," said John Wooten, the executive director of the Fritz Pollard Alliance. "Kirby knows the Ravens very well and he has a ton of great ideas. He knows the division. He has a lot of energy and is an excellent football coach who's very deserving of an opportunity."

[url]http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-wilson-to-get-second-interview-with-ravens-20140123,0,3436793.story#ixzz2rG0d0KIG[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

While I'd love for Kirby to get a great opportunity, I'd hate to see it be with the Ravens. There is no team I hate more and he is a class person.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    While I'd love for Kirby to get a great opportunity, I'd hate to see it be with the Ravens. There is no team I hate more and he is a class person.
    I agree wholeheartedly on both accounts.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend

User Info Menu

Wilson is obviously a quality coach and would be our current OC if not for the injuries he got in his house fire. Would hate to see him coach for the Ravens.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

It wouldn't surprise me if, after Kirby is hired, Tomlin shuffles the staff a bit...

I could see Munchak being given an expanded title like, Offensive Line Coach/Run Game Coordinator, in recognition of his tenure as a HC and Sarrett being Offensive Assistant/Runningbacks...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if, after Kirby is hired, Tomlin shuffles the staff a bit...

I could see Munchak being given an expanded title like, Offensive Line Coach/Run Game Coordinator, in recognition of his tenure as a HC and Sarrett being Offensive Assistant/Runningbacks...
    I'll be curious to see how Haley and Munchak work together. Could be two very strong personalities.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Wilson is obviously a quality coach and would be our current OC if not for the injuries he got in his house fire. Would hate to see him coach for the Ravens.

just curious, what makes you think he is a quality coach and would be a good OC?
    i know the fire is a feel good story but what has he done to warrant such praise as a coach?
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    just curious, what makes you think he is a quality coach and would be a good OC?
    i know the fire is a feel good story but what has he done to warrant such praise as a coach?
    I'm sure he got a second interview with a perrenial play off team with one of the best GMs in the NFL because of the "feel good" story. You can believe that if it works for you and I'm sure that since he worked for Tomlin I'm sure he couldn't possibly be good.