Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The #1 need

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The #1 need

for this entire team, is what I affectionately refer to as an ass-kicker. (I think I called it that, because most of the Steelers tempo-setters happened to be LBs who would take your head off like Lambert, Lloyd, Porter, Harrison). Call it what you want: a tempo-setter, a guy who operates on a different wavelength than everyone else. It especially came to mind, watching Sherman rip Crabtree the last couple days.

Every great defense has one... at least one guy who plays on an emotional edge. He doesn't have to be the defense's best player, but he sets the tempo, the attitude of the defense. Currently, we glaringly lack that player. (Polamalu is/was that type of player, but his time has passed.) It is something that we should keep in mind, as we debate about guys like Nix, Dennard, Mack, Justin Gilbert, etc. We need a guy who has a permanent 2x4 (not a chip) on his shoulder, an oft-times irrational nut, who drives the defense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    for this entire team, is what I affectionately refer to as an ass-kicker. (I think I called it that, because most of the Steelers tempo-setters happened to be LBs who would take your head off like Lambert, Lloyd, Porter, Harrison). Call it what you want: a tempo-setter, a guy who operates on a different wavelength than everyone else. It especially came to mind, watching Sherman rip Crabtree the last couple days.

Every great defense has one... at least one guy who plays on an emotional edge. He doesn't have to be the defense's best player, but he sets the tempo, the attitude of the defense. Currently, we glaringly lack that player. (Polamalu is/was that type of player, but his time has passed.) It is something that we should keep in mind, as we debate about guys like Nix, Dennard, Mack, Justin Gilbert, etc. We need a guy who has a permanent 2x4 (not a chip) on his shoulder, an oft-times irrational nut, who drives the defense.
    That player has been ruled out of the game. Jack Lambert wouldn't last through half a season with the current rules and inability to hit people, particularly, the quarterback.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Backup

User Info Menu

Remember what Woods said about Heyward? Remember Heyward telling Jones something along the line of "I see you Jarvis. You woke up and came to play today!". I think Heyward is going to be THAT guy on the DL. Need a LB to step into the role for the LBers and a DB to do the same ... Personally, I think that part of what separates GREAT teams from good or bad teams is the feeling of accountability among teammates. We had that with Lloyd, Porter, Harrison, Smith etc. and need to find guys who are going to not only hold their teammates accountable, but show them the way.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    That player has been ruled out of the game. Jack Lambert wouldn't last through half a season with the current rules and inability to hit people, particularly, the quarterback.

Pappy
    I'm not talking about "hard hitting". I'm talking about guys who play with extreme emotion/passion. It doesn't have to be a vicious hitter, or even have to be the best guy on the team. Just a guy who runs on high all the time (e.g.): The Murderer, Richard Sherman, Bill Romanowski, Andre Waters, Charles Haley.

These guys look borderline crazy on the field at times. We need some crazy back.

Backup

User Info Menu

I'm not talking about "hard hitting". I'm talking about guys who play with extreme emotion/passion. It doesn't have to be a vicious hitter, or even have to be the best guy on the team. Just a guy who runs on high all the time (e.g.): The Murderer, Richard Sherman, Bill Romanowski, Andre Waters, Charles Haley.

These guys look borderline crazy on the field at times. We need some crazy back.
    Shayne Skov is the guy. We have a huge hole at ILB and Skov can fill that hole. I'd love to grab Louis Nix round 1 and Skov round 2. I think this would strengthen the interior of the defense. I like coming back with Jared Abbrederis in round 3.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by isonator07 View Post
    Shayne Skov is the guy. We have a huge hole at ILB and Skov can fill that hole. I'd love to grab Louis Nix round 1 and Skov round 2. I think this would strengthen the interior of the defense. I like coming back with Jared Abbrederis in round 3.
    I was actually thinking his teammate at Stanford, Trent Murphy. According to everyone on the team (in terms of toughest, meanest SOB)--it is Murphy, and everyone else. And that is from Skov's mouth as well. I actually think this guy could grow into a 5-technique (think Keisel), but in any case, he would be a great bookend to a guy like Cam, and an impact player in terms of attitude and physicality.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think this has been the beef I've had with Tomlin drafts. We seem to get all these choirboys and we need a couple guys that are a little off in the head.

Farrior and Harrison were the last remaining nuts on D. Ward and Colon were the last 2 guys with some heart on our O. Everyone else is just so darn nice on the team.

The only guy we have left that plays with some emotion is Larry Foote. And who knows if we'll even have him around. On a positive, Vince Williams has a little nasty in him. Just not sure he's a baller?

I can't really think of another guy who plays with an edge. Maybe Ike?

I wish someone could fire up Mike Adams every play. I think he could be a beast if he played a little angry.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    Remember what Woods said about Heyward? Remember Heyward telling Jones something along the line of "I see you Jarvis. You woke up and came to play today!". I think Heyward is going to be THAT guy on the DL. Need a LB to step into the role for the LBers and a DB to do the same ... Personally, I think that part of what separates GREAT teams from good or bad teams is the feeling of accountability among teammates. We had that with Lloyd, Porter, Harrison, Smith etc. and need to find guys who are going to not only hold their teammates accountable, but show them the way.
    I agree, I would add Heyward to that mix of guys who can get nasty and fire up the team.

We always have Cody Wallace on the offensive side, he showed some nastiness. He may have taken it too far checkin' that dude's oil at the bottom of the pile, but he showed some intensity out there. Pouncey really showed it his first year, finishing off blocks all the way to the whistle, but he seems to have toned that done lately.

The defense definitely needs a vocal leader, but with so many vets on there, they probably don't need all the rah-rah. Farrior was a great leader without all the fluff imo. They don't have anyone like that now it seems, but they could use one. Even if its someone to focus the group in critical situations, you still need that leader, that unified voice.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

khalil mack

we need a miracle, but I'm hoping

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    khalil mack

we need a miracle, but I'm hoping
    Maybe he'll run a slow 40 like Jones and drop a few spots or Anthony Barr.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount