Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NFL to Do Away with the Extra Point?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If they are considering doing away with a fundamental part of the game like extra points, I would actually like to see them do it by developing a way where kicking is actually re-emphasized. In other words, bring the foot back in football. After all, 2/3 of Punt, Pass, & Kick is kicking. Think of a way to incorporate a more suspenseful kicking component than the extra point. Somehow bring the drop kick back, etc.

Like I said, if they're willing to consider changing the game, may as well be creative... and try to bring the foot back.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Get rid of it. It is the most boring play in sports.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I like the idea of a TD being worth seven, but if you can either gain one or lose one if you go for it. Of course, I'd make all kinds of changes and this would be a minor one. One thing I would not do is expand the playoffs. IMO, the playoffs are something that should be difficult to get into and reserved for only the top teams.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think they should keep it and use that time to start the commercial fest after a scoring play. If something weird happened during the extra point we'd get to see the replay and the people at the game see it live. You might be able to get in one of the 30 second spots from the time a player scores, they review it, the special teams get on the field and the play ius executed.

Seriously, I'd like for them to do something about the extra point, but I hate the idea of losing a point for a failed 2-point attempt. How about the option to kick or go for 2-points, except the kick is from 40 yards and the 2-point conversion is from the two yard line? Added risk on the XP and added incentive on the 2-point by moving the ball a yard closer.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

I think they should do away with an extra point KICK and the 2 pt conversion. Then make the extra point by keeping the Offense on the field for the point after touchdown by running it or passing it from the 2 1/2 yard line, just like the 2 pt conversion.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I think they should keep it and use that time to start the commercial fest after a scoring play. If something weird happened during the extra point we'd get to see the replay and the people at the game see it live. You might be able to get in one of the 30 second spots from the time a player scores, they review it, the special teams get on the field and the play ius executed.

Seriously, I'd like for them to do something about the extra point, but I hate the idea of losing a point for a failed 2-point attempt. How about the option to kick or go for 2-points, except the kick is from 40 yards and the 2-point conversion is from the two yard line? Added risk on the XP and added incentive on the 2-point by moving the ball a yard closer.

Pappy
    I agree. If all they do is automatically give you 7 and the 2 point attempt ends in +/- 1 if you go for it, then not much will change from today. No one will attempt it unless they need the 2 points at the end of the game to get the score within fewer possessions. Quickest fix is to make the extra point more difficult. 40 yards out for an extra point. 50 yards for extra 2 points. 60 for extra 3. Or cross the goal line again for an extra 2.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post

Pappy
    I actually like the idea of being able to lose a point if you don't make the conversion. It brings more drama in and it's a legitimate 2-point swing.

Legend

User Info Menu

I will say this, big TEs and Big WRs will get bumped up in need for most teams if this goes through.
    Trolls are people too.

Starter

User Info Menu

Maybe I am wrong, but I don't recall the league's rules changing constantly growing up in the late '80s and '90s. It just seems every year they monkey with the rules as if the rules committee is Congress and simply must pass new laws constantly or be deemed a failure. In my opinion, the constant changes have made the game worse to the point when I definitely enjoy watching the game less with each passing year. Watching NFL football is becoming more and more like watching a courtroom drama like Law and Order as the zebras seem to take up more of the focus and constantly get in the way of just letting the players play and decide the game themselves. From the tuck rule to the batting rule that almost cost us the Green Bay game and everything in between, it just seems the game is becoming more about the referees citing to arcane by-laws rather than letting common sense rule the day.