Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: NFL to Do Away with the Extra Point?

  1. #1

    NFL to Do Away with the Extra Point?

    "The NFL is reportedly considering abolishing the extra point after touchdowns as part of its scoring system. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell told the NFL Network on Monday that the league's Competition Committee is looking at proposals that would end extra point kicks after touchdowns in favor of a revised scoring system.
    "The extra point is almost automatic," Goodell told the network. "I believe we had five missed extra points this year out of 1,200 some odd (attempts). So it's a very small fraction of the play, and you want to add excitement with every play."
    "There's one proposal in particular that I've heard about," Goodell added. "It's automatic that you get seven points when you score a touchdown, but you could potentially go for an eighth point, either by running or passing the ball, so if you fail, you go back to six."
    (from Fox News)


    Whatchy'all think about this?


  2. #2
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,443
    I really like the idea of going for 2 after every TD. IMO would really increase the excitment and force teams to come up with some real innovative "red zone" plays.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  3. #3
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,379
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I really like the idea of going for 2 after every TD. IMO would really increase the excitment and force teams to come up with some real innovative "red zone" plays.
    It would force us to get better in the RedZone for sure.

  4. #4
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,379
    The other benefit is it would avoid teams being tied up and winning games with FGs so often. I think it would make all teams be more aggressive on offense in general.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I really like the idea of going for 2 after every TD. IMO would really increase the excitment and force teams to come up with some real innovative "red zone" plays.
    I think I like your idea better than what Baddell was talking about; give 6 points for the TD, then you can go for 2. I don't like the proposal of taking a point away if unsuccessful.

  6. #6
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,558
    Too many changes. So the extra point is almost guaranteed, which makes missing one all the more significant. And I like the dynamic of being able to go for two, if needed. I am starting to hate the NFL's direction. Adding more teams to the play offs? Moronic and greedy. Why not just turn into the NFL and NHL where weak teams, with no hope of advancing, are added to the mix. What 8th seed in hoops will win their first series? NONE.

  7. #7
    Pro Bowler pfelix73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mid-Atlantic US
    Posts
    2,328
    If I were the FO of the NFL, I'd concern myself with this ridiculous replay system and fix that before moving on to something else. Not being allowed to look at a replay on that SF- Seattle game on that lost fumble where Bowman got hurt is just stupid. As far the scoring system, they used 3's and 6's, and 7's for a reason way back when the game was invented. Leave it alone. They are gonna keep it up until they screw this league up to a point where it will allow for some competition- i.e. a new league to be born.

    As far as an extra few playoff teams.... not so concerned with that. In fact, it'll allow some teams that get hot towards the end of the year to make the playoffs....
    Last edited by pfelix73; 01-21-2014 at 03:18 PM.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

    2012 MNF Executive Champion






  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    I think I like your idea better than what Baddell was talking about; give 6 points for the TD, then you can go for 2. I don't like the proposal of taking a point away if unsuccessful.

    Agreed. I like this idea.

  9. #9
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,347
    Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    Too many changes. So the extra point is almost guaranteed, which makes missing one all the more significant. And I like the dynamic of being able to go for two, if needed. I am starting to hate the NFL's direction. Adding more teams to the play offs? Moronic and greedy. Why not just turn into the NFL and NHL where weak teams, with no hope of advancing, are added to the mix. What 8th seed in hoops will win their first series? NONE.

  10. #10
    What about moving the extra point back say to the 10yd line making it a attempt of 27yds. At least from there it would not be so automatic. Just my 2 cents.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •