Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Another blown call Sunday in NFC game with big implications - I see or hear nothing

  1. #1

    Another blown call Sunday in NFC game with big implications - I see or hear nothing

    Haven't seen or heard to much about the running into the SF punter that should have been correctly called as roughing and given SF a first down. Instead Seattle gets a 5 yard penalty and the ball and goes on to score. He hit the plant leg of the punter while his other leg in the air, rules says it's roughing and 15 yards, 1st down, end of story. Even Mike Pereira admitted they blew it. In todays NFL every mistake a team makes is magnified... the refs need to get it right. The BS officiating this year that had major implications on playoff seeding and during the playoffs was just sickening. Their were also some plays in the Denver-Cheatriot game where receivers were getting absolutely mugged and no calls were made. Besides having no consistency among the officiating crews it seems that they don't really know or understand all the rules.

  2. #2
    $$$$$
    Funny how you hear very little in the media about the blown calls in the SF/Seattle game, but we hear so much about Richard Sherman's postgame "rant" and about Wes Welker supposedly trying to take out a NE receiver in the Denver/NE game...

  3. #3
    Hall of Famer Sugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,104
    The officiating and discipline have both been extremely inconsistent this year. It's bad enough when they just suck. It's even worse when they are inconsistent.

  4. #4
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cincitucky (Stinktown, U.S.A.)
    Posts
    3,970
    Seattle got more than one ridiculous call to win a close game. It wouldn't bother me as much if those fans didnt make such a big deal of the SB XL calls (of which, several were fortunate but no one egregious). Idiots let Madden and the media shape their opinions.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

  5. #5
    Pro Bowler skyhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,972
    Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Seattle got more than one ridiculous call to win a close game. It wouldn't bother me as much if those fans didnt make such a big deal of the SB XL calls (of which, several were fortunate but no one egregious). Idiots let Madden and the media shape their opinions.
    You are spot on with regards to madden! A known steeler hater.

    And i found it ironic that pereira was commentating on the calls. He is the one who agreed and confirmed every call except one (hasselbeck block) in sb xl.

    I live in seattle and their fans heckel me constantly. Still.

  6. #6
    Pro Bowler skyhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,972
    Btw. Hawks fans have already started the excuses. This one that they will get screwed bc manning will want his last hurrah much like the nfl wanted bettis winning his in his hometown.

  7. #7
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,653
    we can blame the official all we want but nothing is going to make them better. the players are getting bigger and faster while the majority of refs are getting older, fatter and slower. Full time refs wont solve this problem. People are gonna make mistakes and miss things. everyone of us do it every day with our jobs. these refs make 95% or greater correct calls and get lambasted for the small percentage of the ones they miss. how many of us would want to get raked over the coals for doing our jobs almost perfect every day? Im no referee apologist. i get just as pissed as the next guy when i see these bad calls. the problem is we get to see every single play at 10 different angles in super slow motion repeatedly. we get to hear head of officials scrutinize bad calls immediately.
    the league needs to either do away with all these tv angles they show us or get a review process that can correct ALL ****ty calls or non calls. the technology is there.
    1) CB D Dennard
    2) OLB R Shazier
    3) DE J Ellis
    4) WR M Bryant
    5a) OG D Yankey
    5b) OLB J Tripp
    6a) RB D Archer
    6b) NT D McCullers
    7) WR J Janis

  8. #8
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Haven't seen or heard to much about the running into the SF punter that should have been correctly called as roughing and given SF a first down. Instead Seattle gets a 5 yard penalty and the ball and goes on to score. He hit the plant leg of the punter while his other leg in the air, rules says it's roughing and 15 yards, 1st down, end of story. Even Mike Pereira admitted they blew it. In todays NFL every mistake a team makes is magnified... the refs need to get it right. The BS officiating this year that had major implications on playoff seeding and during the playoffs was just sickening. Their were also some plays in the Denver-Cheatriot game where receivers were getting absolutely mugged and no calls were made. Besides having no consistency among the officiating crews it seems that they don't really know or understand all the rules.
    Do you really hear nothing if they have Pereira admitting the mistake during the replay?

  9. #9
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,338
    Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    we can blame the official all we want but nothing is going to make them better. the players are getting bigger and faster while the majority of refs are getting older, fatter and slower. Full time refs wont solve this problem. People are gonna make mistakes and miss things. everyone of us do it every day with our jobs. these refs make 95% or greater correct calls and get lambasted for the small percentage of the ones they miss. how many of us would want to get raked over the coals for doing our jobs almost perfect every day? Im no referee apologist. i get just as pissed as the next guy when i see these bad calls. the problem is we get to see every single play at 10 different angles in super slow motion repeatedly. we get to hear head of officials scrutinize bad calls immediately.
    the league needs to either do away with all these tv angles they show us or get a review process that can correct ALL ****ty calls or non calls. the technology is there.
    I think the problem is the blown calls that Periera points out DURING the replay. If he can do it why can't the NFL get it right during the replay?

    I have no problem with a few MISSED calls but when they have replay and ref meetings during the call how the hell are they still getting them wrong?

  10. #10
    Pro Bowler skyhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,972
    Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    we can blame the official all we want but nothing is going to make them better. the players are getting bigger and faster while the majority of refs are getting older, fatter and slower. Full time refs wont solve this problem. People are gonna make mistakes and miss things. everyone of us do it every day with our jobs. these refs make 95% or greater correct calls and get lambasted for the small percentage of the ones they miss. how many of us would want to get raked over the coals for doing our jobs almost perfect every day? Im no referee apologist. i get just as pissed as the next guy when i see these bad calls. the problem is we get to see every single play at 10 different angles in super slow motion repeatedly. we get to hear head of officials scrutinize bad calls immediately.
    the league needs to either do away with all these tv angles they show us or get a review process that can correct ALL ****ty calls or non calls. the technology is there.
    Just what is a full time ref?? What does that even mean? Football is only 4-5 months a year or 16-18 weekends, etc.

    The NFL refs are as full time as you can get.

    Great post btw. It's almost impossible to please anyone these days in regards to refs.. A totally thankless profession.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •