Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33

Thread: Another blown call Sunday in NFC game with big implications - I see or hear nothing

  1. #21
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    6,993
    Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    we can blame the official all we want but nothing is going to make them better. the players are getting bigger and faster while the majority of refs are getting older, fatter and slower. Full time refs wont solve this problem. People are gonna make mistakes and miss things. everyone of us do it every day with our jobs. these refs make 95% or greater correct calls and get lambasted for the small percentage of the ones they miss. how many of us would want to get raked over the coals for doing our jobs almost perfect every day? Im no referee apologist. i get just as pissed as the next guy when i see these bad calls. the problem is we get to see every single play at 10 different angles in super slow motion repeatedly. we get to hear head of officials scrutinize bad calls immediately.
    the league needs to either do away with all these tv angles they show us or get a review process that can correct ALL ****ty calls or non calls. the technology is there.
    I have absolutely no problem with referees missing calls as long as they are making the call. But, when you have replays and see a mistake but its unreviewable then, that's just stupid, IMO.

    Let the officials call the game, the game was 10 times better in the 70s and 80s than it is today and the instant replay is one of the biggest problems.

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  2. #22
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I disagree. If PI were only a 15 yard penalty, I think refs would be more likely to throw the flag instead of letting Seattle DBs get away with murder...refs are afraid to throw the flag more than one or two times, especially when a team like Seattle are practically TSA security screeners...
    that isn't a good thing... Seattle's DB's play great D. Ike used to play D like that before age caught up with him...

  3. #23
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hotlanta
    Posts
    2,063
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    NFL starts in June/July with camps and ends in January.. the other 5 to 6 months should be used for conditioning and getting familiar with rule changes.

    IMO it has nothing to do with being full time... it has to do with the spread. CONSPIRACY!!!
    Yep. The Steelers missed a real chance at making the playoffs because not one but two refs standing within 5 yards of the San Diego D line didn't know about the new rule this year limiting the number of men that can line up on one side of the center. That's not missing a bang-bang play; that's full incompetence.

    And the missed running into the punter in San Fran - Sea was also a matter of not understanding the rules, not a missed call. The entire world saw the defender crash into his planted leg, which is a 15 yarder per the rule book and none of the men in stripes stepped up to ensure the proper call was made.

    And if people don't want to make refs full time then start firing guys (or at least suspend them with loss of pay for multiple games) who make egregious calls that are based on not knowing the rule book. Couple of firings or suspensions and you can damn well better believe the refs will study the rule book.

  4. #24
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,610
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Yep. The Steelers missed a real chance at making the playoffs because not one but two refs standing within 5 yards of the San Diego D line didn't know about the new rule this year limiting the number of men that can line up on one side of the center. That's not missing a bang-bang play; that's full incompetence.

    And the missed running into the punter in San Fran - Sea was also a matter of not understanding the rules, not a missed call. The entire world saw the defender crash into his planted leg, which is a 15 yarder per the rule book and none of the men in stripes stepped up to ensure the proper call was made.

    And if people don't want to make refs full time then start firing guys (or at least suspend them with loss of pay for multiple games) who make egregious calls that are based on not knowing the rule book. Couple of firings or suspensions and you can damn well better believe the refs will study the rule book.

    we missed the playoffs because we suck, as players, coaches, front office or a combination. not because of the refs
    1) CB D Dennard
    2) OLB R Shazier
    3) DE J Ellis
    4) WR M Bryant
    5a) OG D Yankey
    5b) OLB J Tripp
    6a) RB D Archer
    6b) NT D McCullers
    7) WR J Janis

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    we missed the playoffs because we suck, as players, coaches, front office or a combination. not because of the refs
    You have a straw man argument... what if the Steelers were 9-7 or say 10-6 and the same string of events happened... did they still not deserve to get into the playoff because the refs went brain dead on the KC field goal attempt? The record is immaterial as long as they would have been made eligible for the playoffs based upon the right call by the refs... The entry bar was set by all the other teams performance/records this year and the Steelers were denied because of why? Was it the refs with the wrong call? Hmmmm

  6. #26
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    6,993
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts View Post
    Agreed on all points. I'm not sure why Goodell and his goons can't figure out what I think are common sense solutions.

    And I never understood the pass interference spot foul. It should be 15 yard penalty.
    Do you know an attorney with common sense? That's an oxymoron or is it just a moron?

    No offense to PhillyEsq.

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  7. #27
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hotlanta
    Posts
    2,063
    Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    we missed the playoffs because we suck, as players, coaches, front office or a combination. not because of the refs
    Mostly I agree with you squid. Their ridiculous start to the season and multiple games that could have been won is what ultimately cost them the post season. With that said, it's not as if the Chargers were a more deserving team. And it doesn't change the fact that multiple refs standing on the field within a few yards, whose job was to review the formation, didn't know or understand a new rule and blew a call that absolutely had the chance to change the teams that qualified for a post-season spot.

    Goodell mentioned Tomlin's being on the field during the KO return as potentially having "playoff implications" and that's why the heavy punishment. But the refs blew the Pats - Panthers game early in the year, which would have had the Pats as the home team - HUGE playoff implications and then the KC field goal - another HUGE playoff implications and then multiple missed calls in the Championship game - Super Bow implications. RG talks a big game but somehow an 18 game schedule, a team in London, Thursday night games (whic players despise) are all more worthy of attention than getting calls on the field correct.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    that isn't a good thing... Seattle's DB's play great D. Ike used to play D like that before age caught up with him...
    Seattle DBs play great D because they are allowed to put their hands on WRs constantly...

    If that's the case, then just simply get rid of the 5 yard rule instead of not enforcing it...

  9. #29
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,610
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    You have a straw man argument... what if the Steelers were 9-7 or say 10-6 and the same string of events happened... did they still not deserve to get into the playoff because the refs went brain dead on the KC field goal attempt? The record is immaterial as long as they would have been made eligible for the playoffs based upon the right call by the refs... The entry bar was set by all the other teams performance/records this year and the Steelers were denied because of why? Was it the refs with the wrong call? Hmmmm

    what if, what if.
    a easy fg was missed by the kicker not a ref. who's to say he would have made the closer one?
    im sure the other 6 teams that were in playoff contention toward the end can pick a blown call by an official sometime during the year that they think cost them a win, thus putting them in the playoffs
    1) CB D Dennard
    2) OLB R Shazier
    3) DE J Ellis
    4) WR M Bryant
    5a) OG D Yankey
    5b) OLB J Tripp
    6a) RB D Archer
    6b) NT D McCullers
    7) WR J Janis

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    what if, what if.
    a easy fg was missed by the kicker not a ref. who's to say he would have made the closer one?
    im sure the other 6 teams that were in playoff contention toward the end can pick a blown call by an official sometime during the year that they think cost them a win, thus putting them in the playoffs
    1) Perhaps he would have missed the closer one, but he should have had the opportunity...

    2) The tragic thing about the FG is that it wasn't even a subjective call, like a PI or the tuck rule...it was just straight up incompetence...I can find a way to live with a blown call, but a non-call when the infraction is so obvious just smacks of not knowing the rules, which, by definition, an official should...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •