Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another blown call Sunday in NFC game with big implications - I see or hear nothing

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    Just what is a full time ref?? What does that even mean? Football is only 4-5 months a year or 16-18 weekends, etc.

The NFL refs are as full time as you can get.
    NFL starts in June/July with camps and ends in January.. the other 5 to 6 months should be used for conditioning and getting familiar with rule changes.

IMO it has nothing to do with being full time... it has to do with the spread. CONSPIRACY!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Even worse was not being able to challenge the play in which Bowman clearly recovered the goalline fumble and maintained possession going to the ground in spite of his knee being torn up gruesomely. That has to change. They aren't talking about that one because of football god karma which resulted in Lynch mishandling the handoff attempt on the next play.

They should go with the Belichick suggestion that every damn thing is reviewable (including judgment calls like pass interference...most of the time it is crystal clear on replay if it was P.I. or not, and if you are giving teams a spot foul which may be a 50+ yard penalty, then coaches should be able to challenge something like that).

And all reviews should be made from central league HQ in New York like the NHL does with his war room in Toronto. Put guys in there who are extremely knowledgeable, but whose bodies are not able to get it done on the field anymore.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Even worse was not being able to challenge the play in which Bowman clearly recovered the goalline fumble and maintained possession going to the ground in spite of his knee being torn up gruesomely. That has to change. They aren't talking about that one because of football god karma which resulted in Lynch mishandling the handoff attempt on the next play.

They should go with the Belichick suggestion that every damn thing is reviewable (including judgment calls like pass interference...most of the time it is crystal clear on replay if it was P.I. or not, and if you are giving teams a spot foul which may be a 50+ yard penalty, then coaches should be able to challenge something like that).

And all reviews should be made from central league HQ in New York like the NHL does with his war room in Toronto. Put guys in there who are extremely knowledgeable, but whose bodies are not able to get it done on the field anymore.
    Agreed on all points. I'm not sure why Goodell and his goons can't figure out what I think are common sense solutions.

And I never understood the pass interference spot foul. It should be 15 yard penalty.
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts View Post
    Agreed on all points. I'm not sure why Goodell and his goons can't figure out what I think are common sense solutions.

And I never understood the pass interference spot foul. It should be 15 yard penalty.
    if the Pass INT was 15 yards DB's would commit some of the most atrocious fouls known to man...

I agree on reviewing every play/call.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    if the Pass INT was 15 yards DB's would commit some of the most atrocious fouls known to man...
    Defenders have every right to the football as the receiver does. I guess it would make more sense to me if it was a flagrant foul, say if the defender tackles the receiver before the ball arrives. But if the defender and receiver are battling for position and there's some inadvertent contact, no way should the offense gain 45 yards, have the ball placed on the 1, and have four chances to punch it in. Joe Flacco makes his $120 million living this way.

I know it's an offensive league and fantasy nerds want to see more points, but I think it would be fair for the referee to differentiate between the two. Then again, that's one more thing they'll get wrong unless it was under review.
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts View Post
    Defenders have every right to the football as the receiver does. I guess it would make more sense to me if it was a flagrant foul, say if the defender tackles the receiver before the ball arrives. But if the defender and receiver are battling for position and there's some inadvertent contact, no way should the offense gain 45 yards, have the ball placed on the 1, and have four chances to punch it in. Joe Flacco makes his $120 million living this way.

I know it's an offensive league and fantasy nerds want to see more points, but I think it would be fair for the referee to differentiate between the two. Then again, that's one more thing they'll get wrong unless it was under review.
    I agree with the flagrant foul... first thing I thought was DB's would be tackling WR's

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    Just what is a full time ref?? What does that even mean? Football is only 4-5 months a year or 16-18 weekends, etc.

The NFL refs are as full time as you can get.

Great post btw. It's almost impossible to please anyone these days in regards to refs.. A totally thankless profession.
    Refs who make game changing calls incorrectly and allow teams to make the postseason wrongly and/or cost other teams playoff victories do not deserve thanks...

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I disagree. If PI were only a 15 yard penalty, I think refs would be more likely to throw the flag instead of letting Seattle DBs get away with murder...refs are afraid to throw the flag more than one or two times, especially when a team like Seattle are practically TSA security screeners...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Seattle got more than one ridiculous call to win a close game. It wouldn't bother me as much if those fans didnt make such a big deal of the SB XL calls (of which, several were fortunate but no one egregious). Idiots let Madden and the media shape their opinions.
    To be fair, the offensive pass interference called on Hawk's first drive was a really bad call. The receiver barely touched the defender. That was horse sh-t. The rest weren't as bad.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post

I agree with this idea. I think that is something that should be more important than adding games or getting rid of the PAT.